Tiger Woods and Mike Tyson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tiger Woods and Mike Tyson

I was driving home tonight listening to the sports talking heads as they are in shock of how far Tiger has fallen. They brought up pretty significant points about his achievements before he got caught cheating and after. It got me thinking about who has even come close to the loss of success at their sport. From hero to zero so to say.

The best parallel has to be Tyson, right? I mean I am only 32 and I'm just now seeing all of the sports greats I grew up with start to whined down the careers or they are done. Griffey, manning, Kobe, maybe lebron, and I'm sure there are a few more. But none of them have that one point in their career that is THE downfall like Tyson and Tiger.

Think about how amazing Tyson was before he went to jail. He suffered one defeat and that was all because he didn't prepare. He was a machine and was unstoppable. Same goes for Tiger. Just win after win, top 1-10 finishes left and right.

They both have one personel moment that completely changed their career. After that moment they both somewhat showed up again and still performed well. But in a couple of years they were, or in Tigers case, are a shell of themselves.

I didn't think anyone could have even come close to Tyson's fall, but congrats to Tiger, I think he pulled it off. Only difference is Tiger is still filthy rich.

I wonder who is next....

Guillermo Coria was a tennis player that had a rapid collapse. He was all but unbeatable on clay courts and reached number 3 in the world at the start of the Roger Federer era. Pissed away a massive lead in his first grand slam final and never recovered. He was out of the sport inside of two years.

He wasn't as dominant as a tyson or woods, but he was definitely a rising star.

Comment

Dick pics

Comment

The difference is that if Tiger ever gets his confidence back, he'll smash the golf world again. Jack Nicklaus had an admittedly shorter slump, but he came back and was a force to be reckoned with.
        ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by YALE View Post
          The difference is that if Tiger ever gets his confidence back, he'll smash the golf world again. Jack Nicklaus had an admittedly shorter slump, but he came back and was a force to be reckoned with.
          Tiger has been struggling with health as well confidence issues. His head may never be right again if his body won't cooperate.

Comment

Originally posted by cool cat View Post
            Tiger has been struggling with health as well confidence issues. His head may never be right again if his body won't cooperate.
            Ah. That clears things up.

Comment

Ah. That clears things up.
              I still think he can be a good player if he can get his health back, but obviously I am not a golfer.

Comment

Originally posted by cool cat View Post
                I still think he can be a good player if he can get his health back, but obviously I am not a golfer.
                Your mind not being right can affect your physical health, too. Stress is bad for healing.

Comment

Tiger's motivation was external and seems to have come from his father. When he passed, that is when the downfall of tiger's play came about.

Mike Tyson's motivation was internal. It came from being a poor street brawler. He lost his edge when he started getting paid and distracted by being a celebrity.

Comment

Ken Caminiti would be pretty tough to top. He was having a hall of fame career but ended up overdosing in a crack den.

Plaxico Burress also comes to mind. Then again Aaron Hernandez topped him.

Comment

Confidence seems to be the common denominator for both of their issues. Tyson always had insecurities and it just got worse after prison. Tiger probably had too much confidence and when he was humbled from all of his scandal it either broke his confidence down, or he was too arrogant/confident to realize he had to work harder than before.

Comment

Pussy - undefeated since the beginning of time.
                        2011 Mustang GT - California Special - Black/Black - M6 - 3.73's

Mods: Roush CAI, GT500 Cat-Back Exhaust, Spohn Performance Lower Control Arms

Comment

Michael Vick

Vince Young

Felipe massa

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
                            Michael Vick

Vince Young

Felipe massa
                            Not worried about pussy.

Comment

Originally posted by John -- '02 HAWK View Post
                              Tiger's motivation was external and seems to have come from his father. When he passed, that is when the downfall of tiger's play came about.

Mike Tyson's motivation was internal. It came from being a poor street brawler. He lost his edge when he started getting paid and distracted by being a celebrity.
                              Very true. I met Tiger and his dad when he was nineteen.. i was maybe 13-14? He was definitely his dads lil puppet. I mean that with no disrespect, but you could tell his dad had totally groomed him into a professional athlete. And I think once his dad passed tiger finally had full control and decided to ball the fuck out.

I ain't mad at him.

Comment

Working...
                              X