Good Set of Kitchen Knives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Set of Kitchen Knives

I had a set of henckels... till this happened. Now I have a better set of Caphalon.

I was cutting cooked corn in half with this btw.
    I build websites. PM me.

wustoff FTW
    first class white trash

Comment

Not the best use of that knife. You need to use a thick knife to cut through cobs. Personally, I use my cleaver.
      Originally posted by BradM
      But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
      Originally posted by Leah
      In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
        Not the best use of that knife. You need to use a thick knife to cut through cobs. Personally, I use my cleaver.
        probably, but its what i had in my hand. I still wouldn't expect that blade to break with the little force I had placed on it. I had just cut 5 others with out any issue.
        I build websites. PM me.

Comment

Originally posted by forbes View Post
          wustoff FTW
          There is absolutely nothing wrong with Henckels. As long as you aren't buying some cheap bullshit, no one brand or style will be the best for everyone. As long as you get a set that covers all the bases like stainless, full tang, etc; you get what feels comfortable in your hands.

Comment

Originally posted by DoesSpeedTurnUon View Post
            probably, but its what i had in my hand. I still wouldn't expect that blade to break with the little force I had placed on it. I had just cut 5 others with out any issue.
            Do you wash them in the dishwasher?

Comment

thats one way to ruin a knife...
              first class white trash

Comment

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Henckels. As long as you aren't buying some cheap bullshit, no one brand or style will be the best for everyone. As long as you get a set that covers all the bases like stainless, full tang, etc; you get what feels comfortable in your hands.
                The caphalons that I replaced them with seem A LOT more solid. I had the henckels for about 6 months. We'll see how long the caphalons last.

No, they're all hand washed.
                I build websites. PM me.

Comment

We are looking into a good knife set. As much as we cook we need some.

Comment

No, they're all hand washed.
                    Dishwashers and the chemicals they use will kill a good set of knives, is why I asked. If it wasn't deterioration due to a dishwasher, it's a manufacturing defect. Not common, but it can happen. I've got two sets of Henckels, that I've had zero issues with. One is 5 years old, the other about 15. Out of curiosity, what series Calphalon did you get?

Comment

Dishwashers and the chemicals they use will kill a good set of knives, is why I asked. If it wasn't deterioration due to a dishwasher, it's a manufacturing defect. Not common, but it can happen. I've got two sets of Henckels, that I've had zero issues with. One is 5 years old, the other about 15. Out of curiosity, what series Calphalon did you get?
                      When I bought the Henckels, thats what I expected - a long life. I was completely shocked when it broke. Even when i returned it, they had 3 managers show up and each one of them were shocked and had never seen them do that.

I have this one, the contempory.
                      I build websites. PM me.

Comment

i have calpahlon pots and pans, absolutely love them. they are becoming of age (12 years) but zero issues, i'm gonna have to go look at the knives...
                        first class white trash

Comment

Originally posted by forbes View Post
                          i have calpahlon pots and pans, absolutely love them. they are becoming of age (12 years) but zero issues, i'm gonna have to go look at the knives...
                          Yeah, my mother bought some of those for me for my birthday this past year. I'm just glad to have a full set of matching ones lol.
                          I build websites. PM me.

Comment

When I bought the Henckels, thats what I expected - a long life. I was completely shocked when it broke. Even when i returned it, they had 3 managers show up and each one of them were shocked and had never seen them do that.

I have this one, the contempory.
                            http://store.calphalon.com/calphalon...ock-set/612446
                            I've seen it happen before, but not on Henckels specifically. I've actually seen it happen on $2-3000 sets of knives, but they are also used 12+ hours a day. I'd be willing to bet a well written email to Henckels would get you a nice new set. As long as you refrain from saying "this fucking pile of fucking elephant shit...." lol. And an extra set of knives never hurt anyone.

Those Calphalons look a decent set. Hard to give an opinion without holding one though. My next set will likely have rubber handles, or will be solid stainless with some type of perforation or texture in the handle. I have too many close calls with wet hands and slippage. If I ever achieve true baller status, I'm getting a set of these bad bitches.

http://www.kramerknives.com/ $300 an inch. Oh, and I do like Calphalon's cookware. Long lasting, quality.

Comment

Good idea on the knives and the email. I'll see what i can do about that.

So far the caphalons have nice balance to them and are RAZOR sharp - but they are brand new. The blades on the caphs seem a little thicker at the top. I always thought the henckels i had felt thin. When i returned them, I saw the 4" paring knife was actually bent at the handle as well.
                              I build websites. PM me.

Comment

Working...
                              X