Brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
    Yep. Trial by fire. Literally. To me, that's the fun part though. It sucks when experiments don't go as planned, or when you screw something up, but learning is a constant process, and all knowledge you gain, whether from a perfect experiment, or failed experiment, is knowledge worth having.
    And when you get really good at it then you have to drink a lot while cooking to keep it challenging.
    Atlantic Blue '00 - '03 Cobra motor and TKO600, solid axle, full MM suspension
    Silver '01 Vette - D1 blown LS

Comment

Originally posted by Yale View Post
      You have to learn by doing with cooking. There's no shortcut.
      Hence the reason why I defer to someone else for large gatherings. I am experimenting at home before I step up and invite a big group over.

Comment

Originally posted by Trick Pony View Post
        And when you get really good at it then you have to drink a lot while cooking to keep it challenging.
        I thought drinking was inherently part of the process. It almost seems wrong to fire up the grill without a beer in hand.
        Men have become the tools of their tools.
        -Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Originally posted by MOSFET View Post
          I thought drinking was inherently part of the process. It almost seems wrong to fire up the grill without a beer in hand.

This. Especially when you're firing that bitch up at 3 am, 4 am, 5 am, etc. Beer is mandatory.
          Originally posted by BradM
          But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
          Originally posted by Leah
          In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

I bought mine from the Evil one for $50 or so. It works, but it leaks like like no other. It can't be beat for the price. I'm just far beyond ready to step up to something much larger, and well built.
            Thought it might have been more than that but it's been a while. Is it leaking from the doors?

Comment

Originally posted by 2165 Turbo Rail View Post
              Haha what makes you think it's cheap? Is it the fact that more smoke comes out the door then the stack?

Bam thats what i roll with right there!!! makes for some good meat

Comment

Originally posted by Jose View Post
                Thought it might have been more than that but it's been a while. Is it leaking from the doors?
                Who knows, I've drank since then. A lot. lol

Yeah, every single one of the Char Broil smokers I've seen smokes from the door like that. Just cheap mass production. It doesn't really bother me, still cooks like a champ. My biggest reason for wanting to change is capacity. When I fire up the smoker, it's very rare that I smoke just one brisket, or one rack of ribs, or pork shoulder. If I'm smoking, it's usually for a party, and I've just reached my limit on capacity. Need something bigger.

Comment

Yeah, every single one of the Char Broil smokers I've seen smokes from the door like that. Just cheap mass production. It doesn't really bother me, still cooks like a champ. My biggest reason for wanting to change is capacity. When I fire up the smoker, it's very rare that I smoke just one brisket, or one rack of ribs, or pork shoulder. If I'm smoking, it's usually for a party, and I've just reached my limit on capacity. Need something bigger.
                  Sounds like your house is the place to be.

I need to see if I can get a used smoker like that. This vertical one is just too small.

What do you look for in a used smoker? Rust at the bottom? Surface rust ok?
                  Last edited by mstng86; 06-02-2011, 10:44 AM.

Comment

So I've got a brisket question. My smoker is a vertical propane model that I add wood chips in a pan and use a water pan as well (because it's direct heat). Because it's a vertical smoker space is at a premium. I can never seem to find briskets smaller than 10-11 lbs. and that will not fit without cutting it in half.

So my question is, when I cut the brisket in half does it "half" the smoking time? Hadn't smoke one in a while and I did one up a few weeks ago and it came out tough. Not sure if I over cooked it but I made the mistake of putting the fat cap down instead of up. Any idea where to get a smaller brisket like in the 5-8 lb. range?

Comment

LOL! Well let me know if you upgrade, I would happily buy it back from you

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
                        Sounds like your house is the place to be.

I need to see if I can get a used smoker like that. This vertical one is just too small.

What do you look for in a used smoker? Rust at the bottom? Surface rust ok?
                        I hear ya on the vertical smoker being to small. The only reason I bought it was for the convenience of the propane and the portability. Nothing like going camping and smoking some ribs, brisket, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Jose View Post
                          So I've got a brisket question. My smoker is a vertical propane model that I add wood chips in a pan and use a water pan as well (because it's direct heat). Because it's a vertical smoker space is at a premium. I can never seem to find briskets smaller than 10-11 lbs. and that will not fit without cutting it in half.

So my question is, when I cut the brisket in half does it "half" the smoking time? Hadn't smoke one in a while and I did one up a few weeks ago and it came out tough. Not sure if I over cooked it but I made the mistake of putting the fat cap down instead of up. Any idea where to get a smaller brisket like in the 5-8 lb. range?
                          The smaller the brisket is, the less you can use the hour and a half per pound rule of thumb. The reasoning is that the brisket is smaller, and the smoke will penetrate quicker. I'm telling ya'll. Screw the time. Cook to internal temp, and be done with it.

Comment

thats what I did yesterday... It should have stayed on till about 8:30 but the internal temp hit 180 a little before 7 so I pulled it off and it was just right

mmmm can't wait to get home for some left overs
                            1969 GTO Judge Clone 6.0 liter LQ4 Turbo 4L60e on LS1tech

1960 Chevy Sedan Delivery LS swap

Comment

Tried again last weekend and it came out nice and tender except the bottom, which burned because my fiance's mother did 2 things. At 6am she came out and saw the temp around 175-180 so she threw not 1, not 2 but 3 pieces of wood on the fire. It got up to around 350 for an hour before I came out and checked the fire and to baste the meat and I was pissed. Then I told them it would be ready by 11.30 when the time came around they didn't have any of the sides ready so they said leave it on there. So I got temp down to about 160 or so and it sat there till 1...

This was another 11.5lb brisket and I was trying to keep the temp around 180-200 starting at 9.30p and stayed up all night with it basting it untill 11.30 am the next day. flavor was good except the bottom and was moist and tender for the most part, just had a tough crust on the bottom on the thin end of the brisket. I will be trying again with a new recipe on July 4th weekend and see how that goes.
                              QuestionableContent-Awesome Webcomic

Comment

Originally posted by Jewrrick View Post
                                Tried again last weekend and it came out nice and tender except the bottom, which burned because my fiance's mother did 2 things. At 6am she came out and saw the temp around 175-180 so she threw not 1, not 2 but 3 pieces of wood on the fire. It got up to around 350 for an hour before I came out and checked the fire and to baste the meat and I was pissed. Then I told them it would be ready by 11.30 when the time came around they didn't have any of the sides ready so they said leave it on there. So I got temp down to about 160 or so and it sat there till 1...

This was another 11.5lb brisket and I was trying to keep the temp around 180-200 starting at 9.30p and stayed up all night with it basting it untill 11.30 am the next day. flavor was good except the bottom and was moist and tender for the most part, just had a tough crust on the bottom on the thin end of the brisket. I will be trying again with a new recipe on July 4th weekend and see how that goes.

And that is why you smoke outside and not in the kitchen.

Comment

Working...
                                X