Brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
    Yup.... having issues here. The meat is only at 170. I have had it in their for 10 hours at 225-250.

This is the first time I have used this smoker so its really a new ball game for me. I think I am going to throw it in the oven for a bit.
    I planned for 10 hours mine turned into 17 or something. It was perfect though.
    Whos your Daddy?

Comment

We couldn't wait anymore..

Comment

Did you cut that against the grain? I trimmed mine around the edges then cut it longways if that makes since. My wife started cutting it by the end and I stopped her and we went the other way. Made a huge difference, you could cut it with a fork.
        Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
          Did you cut that against the grain? I trimmed mine around the edges then cut it longways if that makes since. My wife started cutting it by the end and I stopped her and we went the other way. Made a huge difference, you could cut it with a fork.
          sense
          ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

1. My smoker is home-made and heavy steel, but it leaks through the doors too sometimes. No big deal IMO.

2. My smoker thermometer is pretty high end and always reads high compared to the remote ones.

3. I'm still looking for an 802.11 thermometer. I usually just use the probes for smoker temp, not for meat temp at this point. However, a waterproof 802.11 thermo would be superb!

4. A lot of good tips being posted here, especially from bcoop. I know my way around a smoker pretty well and I picked up a thing or two in this thread. Thanks.
            Originally posted by MR EDD
            U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
              man, tbh, my wife cut the meat. The wife pulled it out and started cutting because she and the guests got tired of waiting and I was off in the living room watching the Mavs kick ass.

She didn't do it long ways though.

Another question, what do you do with the wet wood that is left over? Let it dry and reuse? I would think you don't want to let it sit in the water.

Comment

Why is there water left?

Comment

Here is a tip for those that don't know.

If you are looking for a brisket that has less fat, take the brisket and fold it into a 'U' shape, the easier and further it folds, the leaner it is.

Stevo
                  Originally posted by SSMAN
                  ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

Originally posted by bard View Post
                    Why is there water left?
                    Dunno, just have some wood I didn't end up using. I guess I should have just thrown them in.

Originally posted by stevo View Post
                    Here is a tip for those that don't know.

If you are looking for a brisket that has less fat, take the brisket and fold it into a 'U' shape, the easier and further it folds, the leaner it is.

Stevo
                    I know this. I chose this one because I wanted a small one for my maiden voyage and this was the smallest at costco

Comment

• Toss the water, lay the wood out where it will dry. The wood will dry fine in this heat, just don't close it up in something that will retain the moisture or it will mold. I don't soak wood, just chunks straight from the bag. Soaking chips does nothing more than cool the fire. The minimal moisture added by soaking chips will evaporate quickly and burn just as fast as chips straight from the bag. At least that has been my experience.

Comment

• Originally posted by bard View Post
                        Toss the water, lay the wood out where it will dry. The wood will dry fine in this heat, just don't close it up in something that will retain the moisture or it will mold. I don't soak wood, just chunks straight from the bag. Soaking chips does nothing more than cool the fire. The minimal moisture added by soaking chips will evaporate quickly and burn just as fast as chips straight from the bag. At least that has been my experience.
                        This. I never had much luck soaking chips when I was using chips. So I went to logs instead. . No soak, no muss, no fuss.

Is anyone else uber paranoid like me and strip the logs of bark? I often wonder if I'm the only one that does this. The bark gives off a bitter flavor when it burns, which is minimal because the bark burns fast. I just try to avoid it all together, but man some loga can be a real pain in the ass.
                        Originally posted by BradM
                        But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                        Originally posted by Leah
                        In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

• If I was doing full logs, then I would be paranoid too. Hell, I preheat the 2"-3" diameter sticks a buddy brought me on top of the firebox now. Of course it's all dead fall pecan so its not exactly solid.

Comment

• I used the soaked chunks. I was putting 3 or 4 in at a time. Seemed to be getting a decent smoke.

Comment

• Any BGE users. I got one for fathers day. Going to try a brisket this week.

Comment

• I've heard they work really well but I font have any personal experience
                                1969 GTO Judge Clone 6.0 liter LQ4 Turbo 4L60e on LS1tech

1960 Chevy Sedan Delivery LS swap

Comment

Working...
                                X