Cooking for the week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooking for the week

I have started grilling out food for the week and I can see how this could get old fast, since you are eating the same stuff all week. So, does anyone have some good tips or suggestions on how to keep it up?

Currently I am cooking chicken thighs, legs, quarters, and whole chicken. I threw a pretty good beef tenderloin on the grill last night, and some hot dogs just to get them cooked. This just about covers us for the week, but I don't want to get burned out on chicken.

My wife has done a pretty good job utilizing leftover brisket with some chopped beef sandwiches, and an egg scramble with potatoes/brisket/bell peppers.

This doesn't have to be an all grill thread either.

Comment

Roasts are good for this. You can serve it with mashed taters and veggies, or over rice, make sandwiches, etc. Pork tenderloin. Also, prep the chicken different ways. It doesn't all have to be bbq chicken. You can grill some lemon pepper chicken, chicken and peppers, fajita chicken, etc.

I try to have a theme for cooking for an entire week. Not to knock it all out at one time like you do, but to keep grocery costs down. For instance, I'll do Italian one week, Mexican another, etc. That way I don't have something obscure like fresh parm reggiano or ricotta going bad in the fridge in between lasagnas, or chicken parm, etc.

That's another thing, too. You can get you some chicken breasts, wash them, drop them in an egg wash, roll in panko bread crumbs, pan fry, and refrigerate. With that, you can make chicken parm, or you can add some ham and provolone and make chix cordon bleu, etc.
      Originally posted by BradM
      But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
      Originally posted by Leah
      In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

get shrimp, i heard it can be used for
        Bubba: Anyway, like I was sayin', shrimp is the fruit of the sea. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. Dey's uh, shrimp-kabobs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich. That- that's about it.
        first class white trash

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
          Roasts are good for this. You can serve it with mashed taters and veggies, or over rice, make sandwiches, etc. Pork tenderloin. Also, prep the chicken different ways. It doesn't all have to be bbq chicken. You can grill some lemon pepper chicken, chicken and peppers, fajita chicken, etc.

I try to have a theme for cooking for an entire week. Not to knock it all out at one time like you do, but to keep grocery costs down. For instance, I'll do Italian one week, Mexican another, etc. That way I don't have something obscure like fresh parm reggiano or ricotta going bad in the fridge in between lasagnas, or chicken parm, etc.

That's another thing, too. You can get you some chicken breasts, wash them, drop them in an egg wash, roll in panko bread crumbs, pan fry, and refrigerate. With that, you can make chicken parm, or you can add some ham and provolone and make chix cordon bleu, etc.
          This is all about cost as well. My wife started the extreme coupon stuff so this kind of goes hand in hand with it.

The theme is a good idea and my wife likes mexican food so much it would probably work well for her. The only concern I have is the cost of mexican food. yes, rice and beans is cheap. But I can get a whole chicken, or a 10 piece of thighs for less than $5. Where as one lb of fajita meat from La Michoacana is a around $3 and is only good for one meal. Then you have the tortillas, and the extras to go with it.

The chicken breast idea we will do. Chicken cordon bleu would be new to our kitchen but I know we will both like it.

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
            The theme is a good idea and my wife likes mexican food so much it would probably work well for her. The only concern I have is the cost of mexican food. yes, rice and beans is cheap. But I can get a whole chicken, or a 10 piece of thighs for less than $5. Where as one lb of fajita meat from La Michoacana is a around $3 and is only good for one meal. Then you have the tortillas, and the extras to go with it.
            Buy fajita seasoning and limes, and you don't have to get the marinated stuff. I also throw in a dash or two of worcestershire. That's more for ease, and definitely not cost effective. When I do it, I'll grab a package or two of flour, and a package or two of corn tortillas. I always have cheese, salsa, sour cream, etc on hand.

Fajitas one night, enchiladas one night, tostadas one night, soft tacos one night, taco salad one night, etc. A pot of beans will last as a side for the entire week. Same with rice.

Comment

I like to make a large pot of tortilla soup, it freezes well and is easy to make.

Comment

Originally posted by jakesford View Post
                I like to make a large pot of tortilla soup, it freezes well and is easy to make.
                This too. chicken and dumplings, gumbo, stews. All that stuff lasts a while, freezes well, and is easy to make.

Comment

Originally posted by jakesford View Post
                  Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                  This too. chicken and dumplings, gumbo, stews. All that stuff lasts a while, freezes well, and is easy to make.
                  I am not a big soup person, but if it saves a buck, I will do it.

I was also thinking of Lasagna, but I am trying to also eat healthy.

Comment

I usually grill up 4 chicken breast at a time with lemon pepper and some random seasonings. First night I'll put Zucchini, squash and onion on the grill with it and eat that since I don't like the veggies left over. During the week I've found several options that are fast and good. Lipton makes some Alfredo that you can chop up a chicken breast with that is decent. Chop it up for a chicken salad sandwich. Quasadillas/ chicken burritos. Chicken and rice.

The premarinaded pork tenderloin most store sell is also a good option that can be eaten lots of different ways during the week.

Opas jalopeno cheese sausage. First night eat it with vegetables or whatever side you like. Second night split it down the middle and stuff it with cheese and whatever inside a tortilla. Third night chop up the left overs and toss them in with some Tony Chachere's Jambalaya or red beans and rice.

Being single I always end up with way too much food when I grill.

Comment

Originally posted by GrayStangGT View Post
                      The premarinaded pork tenderloin most store sell is also a good option that can be eaten lots of different ways during the week.
                      Those are LOADED with sodium, just FYI. You can buy the non marinated ones and make them a hell of a lot better, and tons of different ways.

Comment

I am not a big soup person, but if it saves a buck, I will do it.

I'm not either, but I do like chix tort soup, chix dumplings, and I can't get enough gumbo. I guess I should say I'm not big on stews. Soups, I like. Most that I like (except dumplings and tortilla soup) aren't healthy though. Like chowder, potato soup, etc.

I was also thinking of Lasagna, but I am trying to also eat healthy.
                        You can make it healthier, by using whole wheat pasta, low fat cheese, etc. Still not great, but better than the fattening way.

Comment

i grill out on sundays for the whole week. i just grill some chicken breasts and steaks (change up the marinade so i don't get burned out) then i chop it all up and put it in tupperware. then i cook some black beans, rice, corn and stick that in tupperware. i throw it on a corn tortilla with some bad ass peperjack cheese from central market, then grill it on the stove and it make a pretty bad ass grilled taco that would rival any restaurant's.

i work out and stuff and this is a pretty healthy way for me to get all the protein i need without all the carbs and fried stuff. when i get sick of it i just change up the ingredients. i also cheat on the weekends and eat unhealthy. lol

Comment

Gumbo's pretty good for this. The cool thing about it is, every day you can add a little something different, and a little more chicken stock, and it's a new dish. Another good idea is to make a pot of beans and rice once a week, and eat it with something else as long as it lasts.
                            ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by Yale View Post
                              Gumbo's pretty good for this. The cool thing about it is, every day you can add a little something different, and a little more chicken stock, and it's a new dish. Another good idea is to make a pot of beans and rice once a week, and eat it with something else as long as it lasts.
                              I do this when I make gumbo or menuedo, I'll make a 2-3 gallons of it at a time and freeze 75% of it for later.

Stevo
                              Originally posted by SSMAN
                              ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

Working...
                              X