Labor Day Weekend Grilling/Smoking Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Labor Day Weekend Grilling/Smoking Thread

Well I just made a trip to the local butcher shop here in Austin. Johnny G's Butcher Block, then stopped by HEB for some wood, beer, and mixers.

In the picture is a 10 pound brisket, 10 pound bone-in pork shoulder, 4 Choice Ribeyes, 2 links of Johnny G's smoked sausage, and 2 links of Johnny G's Jalapeno smoked sausage.

I'll post more as I unwrap, prep, and start cooking.

BTW, a prize for anyone who can identify the little bottle of spices on the counter. That's my secret ingredient, shipped from out of the country.

Comment

Mole?

Looks like we are frying catfish tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
        Mole?
        Nope, although I'm more South/Southwest than Bobby Flay in most of my cooking, this one actually isn't from south of the border.

Comment

So using my secret ingredient, I decided to "salt cure" the ribeyes for a few hours.

I'll wash them off and try them, then season and grill them tonight for dinner.

I'll probably get the pork shoulder on the pit this afternoon, and smoke it overnight for tomorrow.

Comment

made a little marinade/injection for the pork butt.

Apple juice, oj, apple cider vinegar, worchestchire sauce, mollasses, rub, and some secret ingredients...

Comment

You suck. I wish I was smoking something this weekend. Unfortunately I'll be working.

Comment

On a side note. Lowes and Homedepot are selling 2 20lb bundles of Kingsford charcoal for $7.97. I bought two bundles since I use charcoal when starting my fire and grilling burgers and other stuff.

Comment

and now i've got the pork butt injected and resting in the marinade for a while...

Comment

And dinner tonight, before the grill, Ribeyes have been washed off.

And done, with corn done in the husk on the grill, some homemane sausage from the meat market, and some manchego cheese yukon gold mashed potatoes.

Comment

Ill play.

9lb pork shoulder, going on it a few mins.

"If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

how are you cooking your's?

I think I'm gonna try a 4-5 hour cook, the hot and fast method. 350-400 degrees uncovered til 165, then covered till 190. Then pull it off covered and let it sit til 200-205 degrees.

This will be my first hot and fast, so we'll see, I'll post pics tomorrow evening. I'm letting it marinade 24+ hours.

Comment

Originally posted by Silverback View Post
                          how are you cooking your's?

I think I'm gonna try a 4-5 hour cook, the hot and fast method. 350-400 degrees uncovered til 165, then covered till 190. Then pull it off covered and let it sit til 200-205 degrees.

This will be my first hot and fast, so we'll see, I'll post pics tomorrow evening. I'm letting it marinade 24+ hours.
                          Im going to try it the way a friend does his, it turned out great when I had it.

He cooks it at ~300, and then wraps it up when it is 150 or so and lets it ride till 200, similar to what you posted. Im taking it to a family cook out at noon tomorrow, and wanted time for it to rest and cool before I take it over. If I can keep my heat down, it should be ready to come off at 4-5am.
                          "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Im kinda tired, but it turned out great.

Comment

Normally I'll smoke something, but this weekend we're just doing dogs and burgers.
                              Originally posted by MR EDD
                              U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Working...
                              X