Mi Dia From Scratch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hotrod66stang View Post

You went nowhere in that company if you weren't a pseudo-intellectual hipster for the most part. There were more douchebags in that restaurant than all the others I worked in, combined. I can count the non-douchebags on one hand.
    I thought that was Austin in general. I can't bitch because he gives us stacks of gift cards each time we see him so if he's not there or one of his managers don't know us it's still on the house. Plus he loves to hand out $500 visa gift cards at the drop of a hat. At one point my wife and her brother had 10k in gift cards lol.

Comment

Originally posted by FreightTrain View Post
      I thought that was Austin in general. I can't bitch because he gives us stacks of gift cards each time we see him so if he's not there or one of his managers don't know us it's still on the house. Plus he loves to hand out $500 visa gift cards at the drop of a hat. At one point my wife and her brother had 10k in gift cards lol.
      It appears i'm hanging with the wrong people.

Comment

Originally posted by Skidmark View Post
        It appears i'm hanging with the wrong people.
        No shit.lol

Comment

The little lady, myself and a few other couples hit this place last night. Great food, atmosphere and service. We will be back!

Comment

Ate there again last night. Sat on the patio, which was great. They did cut the fans off too early for my taste, and switched to the fire lantern things, so it got pretty warm there at the end. This was just before dusk. Our waiter was slow. We ran out of drinks and salsa for some time, and then had to ask for more when he came back, and then he was gone again for a while before he came back with it. I had the steak and relleno ($19), and it was pretty awesome. Very flavorful. My ol' lady had the beef street tacos ($13.50) and the meat was dry and they were nearly flavorless, especially when compared to my meal. I personally think the street tacos could have benefited from fresh onion instead of tiny bits of cooked onion. They supposedly had roasted jalapeno in them, but we could neither see nor taste it in there. We had a couple drinks, and they were pretty good, but small for the price. We both left there pretty stuffed. I'm sure I will go back, although there are 3-4 Mexican places I like better, all of which are cheaper.

It's got an upscale atmosphere without being too loud, stuffy, or crowded. There's actually plenty of room between tables. Very modern look, nice patio. Lots of cool sounding stuff on the menu, which I'll have to try one at a time as I return. Good portions. Decent salsa. The chips are a little tough. A very cool place to impress a date or a client. Not cheap for Mexican, but not terrible, either. Don't get the steak street tacos. I bet the pork belly ones are probably pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by jluv View Post
              Don't get the steak street tacos. I bet the pork belly ones are probably pretty good.
              The pork belly tacos are fucking awesome!
              Originally posted by BradM
              But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
              Originally posted by Leah
              In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                The pork belly tacos are fucking awesome!
                Have you had the duck carnitas yet? I'm thinking about going for those.

Comment

Originally posted by BradM View Post
                  Have you had the duck carnitas yet? I'm thinking about going for those.
                  No. I've had the duck breast, and the duck confit flautas. But not the carnitas.

Comment

No. I've had the duck breast, and the duck confit flautas. But not the carnitas.
                    they are just like everything else on the menu, great.
                    BEWARE OF PEREZ TRANSPORT LLC
                    BEWARE OF EXOTIC TRANSPORT
                    Fernando Perez
                    Alijandra Perez
                    Mesquite, Texas
                    214-680-1415

Comment

Originally posted by hotrod66stang View Post

This was the revelation. New Mexico Tampiquena. I asked for the flank steak "medium-well," and it came out well done in a few spots and medium in others. None of that mattered. This dish delivered on all accounts. The entire piece of meat was juicy, even the well done spots. The flavor was amazing with a strong presence of lemon/lime juice. The red sauce served on half of the dish was good, but to me, the green sauce meshed with the dish a little better. This was splitting hairs, and unless you're really trying to figure it out, you're not going to slow down while getting this in your mouth as fast as possible. Best flank steak I've ever eaten. San Antonio, Austin, Mexico, home cooking? Nope, Grapevine. Guac was great, too.
                      Mother of god. I went there last night and had this. it was great. Although I preferred the red sauce.

Comment

Originally posted by Bad Religion View Post
                        Mother of god. I went there last night and had this. it was great. Although I preferred the red sauce.
                        I've been telling y'all! The NM Tampiquena is almost an out of body experience.

Comment

That looks a lot like what I had - the steak and relleno. It was under the Santa Fe part of the menu. So what's the difference? It was damn good.

Comment

Originally posted by jluv View Post
                            That looks a lot like what I had - the steak and relleno. It was under the Santa Fe part of the menu. So what's the difference? It was damn good.
                            No relleno. The New Mexico Tampiquena is a skirt steak, topped with an enchilada, and the red and green sauce.

The Chef at Mi Dia got his start at his family's restaurant, which is called La Margarita in Irving. He implemented a VERY similar dish there. Called it the steak ranchero. Skirt steak, cheese enchilada, with ranchero sauce. They redesigned the menu a few years back, and it's now called a Steak Tampiquena, but has a diff sauce. You can still get it the old way, you just have to ask. The diff between La Marg's Tampiquena, and the one at Mi Dia, is the enchilada and sauce. La Marg is just a standard cheddar cheese enchilada. The one at Mi Dia uses a Mexican cheese and blue corn tortilla. Both are EXCELLENT.

Comment

No relleno. The New Mexico Tampiquena is a skirt steak, topped with an enchilada, and the red and green sauce.

The Chef at Mi Dia got his start at his family's restaurant, which is called La Margarita in Irving. He implemented a VERY similar dish there. Called it the steak ranchero. Skirt steak, cheese enchilada, with ranchero sauce. They redesigned the menu a few years back, and it's now called a Steak Tampiquena, but has a diff sauce. You can still get it the old way, you just have to ask. The diff between La Marg's Tampiquena, and the one at Mi Dia, is the enchilada and sauce. La Marg is just a standard cheddar cheese enchilada. The one at Mi Dia uses a Mexican cheese and blue corn tortilla. Both are EXCELLENT.
                              Sounds good. My order had the same two sauces, cheese, and even the kernels of corn. The relleno was supposed to be stuffed with pulled pork, but when I cut into it, it sure looked like flank steak inside of there, too. I didn't say anything because it was really good.

Comment

good stuff

Comment

Working...
                                X