Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is a photo of my Chili from the past

Comment

I've never understood the popularity behind sour cream in chili. I tried it once but I honestly didn't think it made the chili any better.

Comment

Originally posted by Lone Sailor View Post
        I've never understood the popularity behind sour cream in chili. I tried it once but I honestly didn't think it made the chili any better.
        For a really spicy chili, sour cream (all dairy) has a cooling effect on the heat from chiles.

Fat free doesnt work the same, as it's the dairy fats that interact with the capsaicin.

Comment

Don't know bout the all dairy and fat free stuff, but I like my chili with that

Comment

Originally posted by Silverback View Post
            For a really spicy chili, sour cream (all dairy) has a cooling effect on the heat from chiles.

Fat free doesnt work the same, as it's the dairy fats that interact with the capsaicin.
            I don't eat spicy foods just to offset the heat with another ingredient. If I wanted it less spicy then I would make it less spicy. Seems it's just another unnecessary ingredient.

Comment

Originally posted by jnobles06 View Post
              easy awesome chili recipe i made. i always bring it to work when we have holiday parties, and it's always a hit. i get a lot of complements.

2 hot italian links
              1lb ground beef (i use extra lean)
              2 tbsp worcestershire sauce
              2 cups water
              1 can tomato sauce
              3/4 can tomato paste
              2 tbsp minced garlic
              2 habanero peppers w/ seeds
              2 jalapeno peppers de-seeded
              1 half white onion chopped (you can add more, i just don't like onions too much)
              3 tsbp chili powder
              3 tbsp a-1 sauce
              1 tbsp cumin
              1 can red kidney beans drained
              1 can ranch style beans
              1 chopped bell pepper (optional. sometimes i do it, sometimes i don't)

1. brown all meat with all the fresh veggies and add the worcestershire sauce.
              2. put all the rest of the ingredients into a large pot then add the cooked meat/ veggies and mix in the two cups of water.
              3. cover, and simmer on low until desired consistency is reached. you can add more water periodically to achieve longer cooking times to allow for a better flavor blending. (i usually simmer for an hour, add more water, then simmer until the desired consistency is reached)
              4. salt and pepper to taste.
              Looking sounds good man...i sure will must be try this at home.I also found one this type of nice recipe from weekly magazine.I will must be post here next time...Thanks for sharing this....
              Andres8100

Comment

Originally posted by jnobles06 View Post
                easy awesome chili recipe i made. i always bring it to work when we have holiday parties, and it's always a hit. i get a lot of complements.

2 hot italian links
                1lb ground beef (i use extra lean)
                2 tbsp worcestershire sauce
                2 cups water
                1 can tomato sauce
                3/4 can tomato paste
                2 tbsp minced garlic
                2 habanero peppers w/ seeds
                2 jalapeno peppers de-seeded
                1 half white onion chopped (you can add more, i just don't like onions too much)
                3 tsbp chili powder
                3 tbsp a-1 sauce
                1 tbsp cumin
                1 can red kidney beans drained
                1 can ranch style beans
                1 chopped bell pepper (optional. sometimes i do it, sometimes i don't)

1. brown all meat with all the fresh veggies and add the worcestershire sauce.
                2. put all the rest of the ingredients into a large pot then add the cooked meat/ veggies and mix in the two cups of water.
                3. cover, and simmer on low until desired consistency is reached. you can add more water periodically to achieve longer cooking times to allow for a better flavor blending. (i usually simmer for an hour, add more water, then simmer until the desired consistency is reached)
                4. salt and pepper to taste.

I might give this one a shot today. One question though, I've never been "hot Italian links" in the stores. Or maybe I've just never noticed them. Are they where they keep all the usual sausage?
                --carlos

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by projectPONY View Post
                  I might give this one a shot today. One question though, I've never been "hot Italian links" in the stores. Or maybe I've just never noticed them. Are they where they keep all the usual sausage?
                  go to the meat counter. they have fresh ones in the glass case.
                  www.hppmotorsports.com
                  ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Comment

Originally posted by projectPONY View Post
                    My question about that recipe is why would you de-seed the jalps, but leave the habs seeded? At that point, it doesn't really matter, does it?

I made a nice one last week. Some sort of chipotle chili (that could have actually benefited from more chipotle). For the chili powder, I used a split of dark, light and Mexene. I also added half a teaspoon of Cayenne and doubled down on the garlic since there's never such a thing as too much garlic.

1 pound bulk hot Italian sausage
                    2 pounds ground beef
                    5 tablespoons chili powder
                    1 tablespoon ground cumin
                    1 teaspoon ground coriander
                    2 cloves garlic, minced
                    1 large onion, diced
                    1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
                    1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
                    1 (14 ounce) can kidney beans (optional)
                    2 teaspoons minced chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
                    1 teaspoon salt
                    ground black pepper
                    1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste

Directions

Cook sausage and ground beef in a large pot over medium-high heat until lightly browned and crumbly. When the meat has released its grease, and has begun to brown, drain off accumulated grease, and season with chili powder, cumin, and coriander. Cook and stir for 1 minute until fragrant, then stir in the garlic and onion. Cook until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 4 minutes.
                    Stir in the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, kidney beans, chipotle peppers, salt, and pepper. Bring to a simmer, then pour the chili into a slow cooker. Cover, and cook on Low for 8 to 10 hours. Stir in tomato paste an hour before the chili is done.
                    How do we forget ourselves? How do we forget our minds?

Comment

to the top

Comment

I made the dragons breath chili last week. Turned out really well, it's a guy fieri recipe with a ton of ingredients.

Comment

^^ funny thing is I saw the recipe last night as well before you Posted it

Comment

Originally posted by 01vnms4v View Post
                            Well it was the second post in this thread, it shouldn't be too hard to miss!

I've made it a few times, or variations of it based on what was readily available, and it's good stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by BMCSean View Post
                              I made the dragons breath chili last week. Turned out really well, it's a guy fieri recipe with a ton of ingredients.
                              http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/g...li-recipe.html

Never heard of it........

Originally posted by 01vnms4v View Post
                              Originally posted by 71chevellejohn View Post
                              Well it was the second post in this thread, it shouldn't be too hard to miss!
                              lol
                              Originally posted by BradM
                              But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                              Originally posted by Leah
                              In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

At least I put the link, Fucker!!

I am not going to go read through this and see if someone else already did, I'm far too busy and important to do that shit.

Comment

Working...
                                X