Cookware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cookware

Who is using what? Our new house has an induction cooktop so all our old cookware will not work on it. What are some good places to look at some in the Dfw area?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
    2015 F250 Platinum

I may have you confused with someone else, but aren't you a "chef"? And some non induction pans do work with induction cooktops. Don't just automatically assume they won't. Stick a magnet to it. If the magnet sticks, it will work with induction tops. If it doesn't, it won't. This can also help you save money if you do have to buy new pans. Induction pans come at a premium, but aren't necessary, if you can find non induction pans that are magnetic.

Some series of stainless steel are magnetic.
    Originally posted by BradM
    But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
    Originally posted by Leah
    In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Chef no, restaurant owner yes.
      2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

I honestly didn't know you had to have different pans.

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
          I honestly didn't know you had to have different pans.
          A lot of stainless steel is not magnetic. 304 series, for instance. 430 series is magnetic.

Induction pans typically have a copper plate in the bottom of the pan, clad in stainless, because with no magnetic material, the magnets in the induction top don't transfer energy.

OP - I'm a big fan of Lincoln Centurion. They were bought out by Vollrath, so I can't speak to the quality of them since, but I can't imagine it has changed much. Sure, there are much cheaper alternatives, but lifetime warranty, and you'll never buy another set.

I had to pick up a Vollrath wok pan last week, and though it wasn't labeled as "induction ready", I tested with a magnet, and it worked flawlessly with my 3500 induction wok at our open house last week.

Comment

can one of you guys explain induction to me?
            "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron View Post
              can one of you guys explain induction to me?
              Without getting too technical, because all induction is NOT created equal... Induction doesn't generate heat. It creates energy using electromagnets, and transfers that energy in to the magnetic pans, which then cooks the food.

I can boil water on an induction burner, pull the pan off, and place my bare hand (don't try this wearing a wedding ring, you'll burn the fuck out of your ring finger) on the glass top and not burn it. There is some slight residual heat left behind by conduction, but it dissipates quickly. I can also boil water, with a $100 bill between the glass top, and the pan, and it comes out unharmed. Currently, induction is the single most efficient method of cooking when it comes to the heat transfer. There is almost no waste. Look at it this way... There's some fudge factor from manufacturer to mfr, but a gas range is typically 50% for the most efficient gas commercial units (more like 20-30% efficient for residential). Electric range is roughly 70% efficient on high voltage commercial applications, more like 60% on residential. Induction is anywhere from 80-95% efficient. The commercial manufacturer I represent, is 95% efficient on their 3.5kW and 5.0kW units.

Because it's more efficient, it transfers energy faster, thus cooking quicker. I can boil water in 4 minutes. A factory I rep also makes an induction griddle, which is seriously cool as shit. I can go from cold to 400 degrees in under 4 minutes (compare to 20+ minutes on even a commercial high BTU gas griddle). I can load it up with frozen hamburger patties, and it will be back to 400 degrees in under 2 minutes. I can cook 6 oz chicken breasts in 5 minutes total (2.5 per side). And when in idle, surface temp of the griddle is 90ish degrees.

So it's good because it's efficient, and it's good because it's safe (for most of us anyways, I think they may cause trouble with pacemakers).

Comment

very cool. thanks
                "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Working...
                X