homegrown peppers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• homegrown peppers

Who is growing their own, and how are they producing so far? I was later getting mine started this year, but they are going crazy now, looks like I'll have hundreds of Thai and Tabasco peppers in the next few weeks. My 'garden' is a four foot diameter kiddie swimming pool that I used as a giant planter.

I'll be making a bunch of homemade Tabasco sauce this year, plus I use Thai chili in just about everything I make.

Stevo
    Originally posted by SSMAN
    ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

We are just doing a salsa garden , japs, habs, bell , cilantro , onion and tomatoes . Peppers, cilantro and onions are great. I have more than I can use . The tomatoes look like shit though. We cook 20-50 poppers a week while grilling so we have several plants .
    The only difference between a tax man and a taxidermist is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. -- Mark Twain

Comment

I need to grow my own peppers for as much as I love them..plan in place!

Comment

These are some my sister donated from her first crop. Jalapenos, some kind of thai chilis (the small ones), Mirasol, Scotch Bonnets and habaneros.

Last edited by VaderTT; 07-30-2012, 10:55 AM.
        Ded

Comment

my parents have a whole garden of thai peppers. I've always wanted to take some and plant them in my backyard but my dogs will find some way to take a piss on them.
          Originally posted by 03trubluGT
          Your opinion is what sucks.
          You are too stupied and arrogant

Comment

Originally posted by VaderTT View Post
            These are some my sister donated from her first crop. Jalapenos, some kind of thai chilis (the small ones), Mirasol, Scotch Bonnets and habaneros.

Those look good...let me know if your sister decides to donate anymorelol

Comment

Will do, they looked much better before they started drying. I have some more that I'm keeping relatively fresh.
              Ded

Comment

Will do, they looked much better before they started drying. I have some more that I'm keeping relatively fresh.
                Awesome,thanks Either way they still look good as hell and just knowing its homegrown is even better.

Comment

The smaller ones look like Pequins, which are actually native to Texas and grow wild in many places. The are very hot, some rank up there with habaneros. Many old timers called them buckshot peppers. I have two of them planted, ate two of the peppers this weekend that were only half ripe, and they were hot as hell.

The Tabasco and Thai peppers plants have taken over the pepper patch, then comes the Cayennes (which have only flowered, no pods), and only three Jalapenos, two Pequins and two Poblanos survived being crowded out.

I have been told that many of the peppers will cross-pollinate and there is really no idea whet will come from the seeds when planted, so I figured I'll save a few pods off each plant just to see what sprouts from them next year.

Stevo
                  ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

I don’t grow peppers, but I have lemons, cilantro, mint, ladies fingers, tomatoes! The tomatoes are so sweet! I love gardening.

Comment

Originally posted by jameswilson View Post
                      I don’t grow peppers, but I have lemons, cilantro, mint, ladies fingers, tomatoes! The tomatoes are so sweet! I love gardening.
                      Are you doing your "tomato" crop using a hydroponic system? What type of lights? L.E.D or HPS/MH?
                      Ded

Comment

Our pepper crop didn't fair well this year. Not sure of why, but we got very few.

Comment

Originally posted by Lone Sailor View Post
                          Our pepper crop didn't fair well this year. Not sure of why, but we got very few.
                          It's usually contingent of soil conditions, add some fertilizer and it will bloom again.

Comment

Originally posted by Crownline79 View Post
                            It's usually contingent of soil conditions, add some fertilizer and it will bloom again.
                            I will try a higher concentration of nutrient soil and additional fertilizer next Spring. Thanks for the tip.

Comment

Mine have gone crazy. I had some awesome buds earlier, but then a week of really strong storms knock them all off, and now they are bloomed again. The Thai chiles are going to be insane.

My plant setup not the best, it was a good idea but poorly executed. I ended up putting WAY too many plants in it so at this point they are all competing for sun, and I have to water at least twice a day, I was having to water three times a day when temps were at/over 100*. I use a water-soluble fertilizer twice a week at the moment. As soon as the Thai chiles get a bit further with larger pods, I'll cut the water back quite a bit to give them more heat. I am getting around 20 ripe peppers a day off it, but when the Thai chiles come in, I'm going to be neck-deep in peppers. Most of the ones I am getting right now are small serranos, tabascos and jalapenos. I have a ton of baby pablanos that are slowly gaining mass.

My Thai Basil and Sweet Basil have gone nuts also, I now have more than I can use which is nice since two-three leaves of basil costs $4 at the local grocery. My cilantro/coriander didn't do well at all, but it is like $.33 a bunch at the local mexican grocery.

Stevo

Comment

Working...
                              X