Thoughts on local, hostlic food?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on local, hostlic food?

I watched Food, Inc. a few years ago and it's really just stuck in my head. I realize it had an agenda, but there was a lot of truth in it as well. I believe a lot of our issues today (Cancer / E-Coli / Autism & ADHD rates / etc. ) start with our current food system.

Do any of you foodies go to the farmers markets? Do you specifically look for local or organic food or just consider that for hippies? Is it worth the higher price? My main problem is while I do believe GrassFed beef is better for you, I think (as most do) grain fed tastes better. It's hard to pay $12+ for a raw pastured chicken when you can get a cage grown ready-to-eat oven roasted chicken at Costco for $4.99.

I've really latched onto a Farmer featured in the film, Joel Salatin, and have been extensively studying his methods so I can adapt them to our climate and use them at my Family's farm. Our farm has primarily been a cow/calf operation since the late 1800's, but I'm about to add pastured chickens & pigs to the mix so we can at least feed our family clean food and know what's in it. I'm also thinking I may get some blood work done on myself now, and then again after a few years to see if it truly does have any affect on my health.

If you are bored, here's a Vimeo I watched this morning featuring Joel's farm and it got me thinking what y'alls thoughts might be.

Sorry, we couldn’t find that page
    DamonH

Start a vegetable garden, dude. You have time, and wasting all that attention and water on a lawn is just crazy.

A really good local food market is Sunflower Market on Henderson, but you work really close to the farmer's market, too.
    Last edited by YALE; 08-25-2012, 01:19 PM.
    ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Working...
    X