Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoked Pork Loin

Weather's great smoking weather...

Fileted (poorly) with sauteed onions and apples, butter, olive oil, salt and pepper

Some swiss cheese

On a frog mat on a bacon lattice to help protect it from the heat (ya, that's the excuse for bacon )

Onto the smoker with seasoning (jerk on one side, another meat season on the other)

Out of the smoker (3 hours @ 185, 1 @ 250 until 150 IT)

Paired with some golden acorn squash (cut in half, clean, upside down in a pan with a bit of water @ 375 for 45 mins, flip over, butter and brown sugar, back into the oven for 15 minutes).

Mmmmm greatness. A good smoke ring and a great salty coating. The stuffing has a good mix of sweet and savory and helped to keep the meat juicier.

I'd eat it.

Comment

You didn't wrap it in foil at all? Looks good minus the stuffing, I would still try it though.

Comment

No, no foil. The stuffing was good. Next time I'll try something else (my wife doesn't like onions).

Comment

Originally posted by goofygrin View Post
          No, no foil. The stuffing was good. Next time I'll try something else (my wife doesn't like onions).
          It could be worse, she could dislike anal.

Comment

4 hours seems awfully quick. How much did it weight?

Comment

about 4# + the # of bacon (thick cut) and stuffing bits. Loins cook fast in my experience.

Comment

They do cook fast. But they do t have enough fat, thus making them too dry IMO.
                Originally posted by BradM
                But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                Originally posted by Leah
                In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Thats why you stuff em with moisture

Comment

Thats why you stuff em with moisture
                    I didn't stuff mine, but I did wrap with a bacon weave, and it didn't help.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                      I didn't stuff mine, but I did wrap with a bacon weave, and it didn't help.
                      Do you think wrapping it would help or just not enough fat to start? I am too lazy to smoke, but I have grilled a couple at around 300 for 2-2.5 hours on indirect heat and they turned out good. I did sear them immediately though and I think that trapped a lot of moisture.

Comment

To what temp are you cooking them? Most people cook pork to 160+... I only cook to 145-150... overcooking can make it dry Not sure I'd do that with wild boar, but with the pork we get from the store that's fresh then I don't think there's a worry of trichinosis.

Next time though, put something inside (there's lots of combos that people have done) and see if it moisturizes it.

Comment

To what temp are you cooking them? Most people cook pork to 160+... I only cook to 145-150... overcooking can make it dry Not sure I'd do that with wild boar, but with the pork we get from the store that's fresh then I don't think there's a worry of trichinosis.

Next time though, put something inside (there's lots of combos that people have done) and see if it moisturizes it.
                          I do shoulders to 195-200. I believe I did the loin to 145, because I was worried it would be too dry.

Comment

Depends on what I'm going for. If I'm going for pulled pork for sandwiches then I won't pull it until it gets about 190. If I'm just going for some sliced loin to eat with a knife and fork then I will go about 170. I've never had a loin dry out, but then again I don't smoke anything at a high temperature. 200 is max for me, and that's if I'm running out of time, normally 180 is all I push mine.

Comment

WTF? I've never cooked anything at less than 200 on purpose.

Comment

Working...
                              X