Who likes to grill with charcoal ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who likes to grill with charcoal ??

What us your technique? Lid up or down? Quarter turns? I keep it simple. Get it lit and let the fire simmer down. Then I close the lid and let it " preheat" lastly I cook for 5 minutes on each side and done.

I like food cooked on charcoal better, but I'm too lazy for that shit so I have a propane grill.

Comment

Comment

I use chunk charcoal in the smoker with a few blocks of mesquites or hickory mixed in for flavor. Charcoal is much easier to maintain temperature overnight then all wood is.

For burgers, hotdogs,etc I use the gas weber.

We hold these Truths to be self-evident, that all Men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the the pursuit of happiness......, that whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive to these Ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government,
        I'm posting from my phone, probably while driving. Expect typoes.......

Comment

Just lit the charcoal

Comment

I grill on my Back porch so this forum is appropriate
            Last edited by TEAMJACOB; 11-04-2012, 08:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TEAMJACOB View Post
              I grill on my Bach porch so this forum is appropriate
              I grill on my Beethoven porch.

Comment

Originally posted by BradM View Post
                I grill on my Beethoven porch.
                Lucky. Been looking into upgrading

Comment

Get started with the lid open and let it burn for ten minutes, close lid and let it go for another ten or so. On my grill I vary the amount of charcoal I use to to get the temp that I want. 700 plus for steaks and 4-500 for everything else.

Comment

Comment

Raw lump charcoal is the only way to go

Comment

I have a Weber Performer for BBQ and a Weber Summit for grilling. IMO you use the right tool for the job. Steaks, fish, hotdogs, and other stuff that isn't slow cooked or smoked goes on the grill. I use my Weber for slow cooking or for smoke..

I usually count out the bricks I need (I haven't tried lump charcoal yet) and stack them to one side of the grill. I use the vents to get the temperature right before putting anything on. Then I just put my water pan and a few water soaked chunks of mesquite. For Ribs, I stack them on the opposite side of the grill from the fuel and alternate them every half hour. I've been very happy with results.

Dammit, now I need to cook some BBQ..

Comment

Propane! Taste the meat, not the heat!
                          .....bro....

Comment

I sue both propane when I am in a hurry and want it done fast. When I have friends over and time to kill charcoal

Comment

I threw my gas to the curb once I went charcoal. I use only lump coal and found that the Royal Oak or Big Green Egg brands to be the best locally.

I will start it out with an electric starter, no fluid, on a stack of coals. Once I get a small flame going I will spread the "embers" and add a few pieces of wood chunks and then close the lid till it gets to temp. Steaks I sear at 650 or so, 5 minutes each side flipping twice. Pizza also about 600-650.
                              Burgers and pretty much everything else around 400.

Comment

Working...
                              X