Smoking a turkey?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoking a turkey?

I have never attempted this. Has anyone else? And if so any helpful advice would be great.

Brine it first. If you inject, inject along the bones rather than the middle of the meat. Rub the inside of the cavity with whatever rub you use. Make sure and get up under the legs and wings. Rub under the skin, but be careful not to rip. don't forget to remove the neck and giblets.
    Originally posted by BradM
    But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
    Originally posted by Leah
    In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

I prefer to inject and rub and I've never had an issue of a bird that wasn't dripping with moisture when I carved into it. Most birds in the 10lb to 13lb range will take about 5hrs to smoke. I wouldn't go any smaller than 10lbs or bigger than 13lb. I prefer to stay in the 11lb to 12lb range. I keep the pit at 225 degrees.

Comment

So nothing in the bird cavity to make sure it stays moist, like beer butt chicken? I just don't want it dry at all. And do you use a fresh, or frozen turkey? I know fresh are hard as hell to find.

Comment

Originally posted by cbrjames View Post
          So nothing in the bird cavity to make sure it stays moist, like beer butt chicken? I just don't want it dry at all. And do you use a fresh, or frozen turkey? I know fresh are hard as hell to find.
          Nah it will stay moist as long as you brine it or inject it. Brining takes more time and I don't mess with it when an injected turkey is just as moist. I prefer to use fresh, but nothing is wrong with a frozen turkey as long as you buy it a couple days ahead of time and you give it ample time to be completly thawed out.

Comment

Where the hell do you find a fresh one? Every year i want to do this, and can't find one. I try central market and everywhere in between.

Comment

Central Market doesn't have any? Whole Foods maybe? I always buy ahead of time and thaw.

Also let it get to room temp before you put it on the smoker.
              Originally posted by BradM
              But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
              Originally posted by Leah
              In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

I like to have a water pan in there when I smoke turkey. Just a little insurance as they can be unforgiving if the heat gets away from you.

Comment

Originally posted by cbrjames View Post
                  Where the hell do you find a fresh one? Every year i want to do this, and can't find one. I try central market and everywhere in between.
                  H-E-B has them year round. Bought a fresh one last week.

Comment

Working...
                  X