Fish!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fish!

Been on a little bit of a fish kick lately. Tried the tilapia recently at my favorite Mexican restaurant (Mariano's). They make it with cilantro, lime, and a white wine sauce. It's crazy delicious! But it's damn expensive, and I could eat about 6 of them before I would ever be full. So, I bought some tilapia filets yesterday, and have found a recipe that seems like it should come out pretty similar.

Baked Tilapia with Lime and Cilantro
    4 Tbs. fresh squeezed lime juice
    2 garlic cloves, pressed
    2-3 Tbs. olive oil
    1 Tbs. melted butter
    2-3 Tbs. chopped cilantro
    Sea salt, to taste
    Cracked black pepper, to taste
    In a small bowl, mix the lime juice, the olive oil and the garlic together and let set for a few minutes.
    Place fish fillets in a 9x13 baking pan and pour the lime juice mixture over the fillets.
    Turn fish to distribute the juice evenly.
    Top with the chopped cilantro and pour melted butter over all.
    Add salt and pepper to taste.
    Bake at 425 degrees for 10-15 minutes, until fish flakes easily.

I'll post up my results. I've only ever fried fish before, so I don't know if this recipe has any glaring problems (it was someone's homemade write-up, not a chef's). If you see something that should be changed (like the cooking time or temp), let me know. If it really bakes good in 15 minutes, I'll be thrilled.

On that note, if you have any other (non-fried) recipes for readily available fish like catfish or tilapia, please post them up!

I went on a guided stiper/sand bass trip at Texoma and the guide gave me a stupid easy recipe for the fish we caught

half a stick of butter
    8 oz tub of sour cream
    shredded parmesan cheese

melt the butter and mix in the sour cream
    in a baking dish put your fish in the dish and then pour the liquid into the dish to about half the thickness of the fish (bottom half submerged in the liquid) then cover each piece of fish with the parm

350* for about 30 mins

I was skeptical but it was actually pretty good
    1969 GTO Judge Clone 6.0 liter LQ4 Turbo 4L60e on LS1tech

1960 Chevy Sedan Delivery LS swap

Comment

Try it with another white fish, Jared. Tilapia is a dirty, dirty fish. I'll never understand why tilapia is so expensive at some restaurants. In comparison, it's a crap fish that should be dirt cheap.
      Originally posted by BradM
      But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
      Originally posted by Leah
      In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
        Try it with another white fish, Jared. Tilapia is a dirty, dirty fish. I'll never understand why tilapia is so expensive at some restaurants. In comparison, it's a crap fish that should be dirt cheap.
        Hell, it tastes great when I've had it. I'm sure people say the same about catfish, but I love that shit grilled or fried. Already got the filets, but maybe I'll try something else next time. What do you recommend? I just want something I can grab at the Kroger down the street.

Comment

Originally posted by jluv View Post
          Hell, it tastes great when I've had it. I'm sure people say the same about catfish, but I love that shit grilled or fried. Already got the filets, but maybe I'll try something else next time. What do you recommend? I just want something I can grab at the Kroger down the street.

The dirty flavor can be masked with other flavors, like lime juice, for instance. Have you eaten it anywhere other than Mariano's? People do say the same about catfish, but I actually prefer that to tilapia. Tilapia are farmed fish, and most of what you get in the US comes from Vietnam, in literal shit rivers. As in, they live where all the sewage goes.

I like a more meaty fish. Mahi mahi, for instance. Kroger should have it. Tom Thumb always does. Or sea bass. Mmmmm, sea bass.

Comment

Hmmm... I don't think I would lieke a meaty fish. I'm more into a light, flaky fish that just melts in your mouth with no effort. I also don't like a strong fish flavor. My admittedly undistinguished palate prefers something I can just flavor up with herbs or a sauce. That said, are there any other light, flaky fish that I should try over tilapia or catfish?

Comment

Originally posted by 2165 Turbo Rail View Post
              I went on a guided stiper/sand bass trip at Texoma and the guide gave me a stupid easy recipe for the fish we caught

half a stick of butter
              8 oz tub of sour cream
              shredded parmesan cheese

melt the butter and mix in the sour cream
              in a baking dish put your fish in the dish and then pour the liquid into the dish to about half the thickness of the fish (bottom half submerged in the liquid) then cover each piece of fish with the parm

350* for about 30 mins

I was skeptical but it was actually pretty good
              Dang. I like all of those ingredients. May have to give this one a try. I know my ol' lady will turn her nose up at it, but she can make herself a balogna sandwich for all I care.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                The guys at the waste treatment facilities love them, since Tilapia is used to eat the bacteria.

Comment

Comment

Halibut is flaky. Sea bass is almost buttery, very tender. Kroger probably has halibut. You'd have to go to Central market or market street for sea bass.

Comment

Kroger has halibut, you can also get orange roughy in their freezer section, I prefer that to tilapia as well.

Comment

Came out really good. Hint of fish flavor, but not bad. I'll definitely do it again, prob with catfish next time, and then onto something else. Brent, do you bake the halibut and the seabass about the same time/temp? Any other flavor ideas? I was thinking lemon pepper, or maybe pesto, or maybe something spicy hot. I love jerk seasoning with chicken, but I winder how it would work with fish.

I want to try pan searing too. And grilling. I'd like to hear tips/recipes for all of the above.

And what do y'all eat with yours? I don't really like cooked veggies, but do like most raw. Tonight we pan fried up some thin sliced potatoes. I'm thinking that chomping on some raw green onions would be good with fish, too. Just to keep things on the healthier side for a change.

Comment

This thread makes me want sea scallops.
                          ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Fresh Crappie soaked in lemon juice over night then fry it up with onion ring batter

Comment

Originally posted by jluv View Post
                              Came out really good. Hint of fish flavor, but not bad. I'll definitely do it again, prob with catfish next time, and then onto something else. Brent, do you bake the halibut and the seabass about the same time/temp? Any other flavor ideas? I was thinking lemon pepper, or maybe pesto, or maybe something spicy hot. I love jerk seasoning with chicken, but I winder how it would work with fish.

I want to try pan searing too. And grilling. I'd like to hear tips/recipes for all of the above.

And what do y'all eat with yours? I don't really like cooked veggies, but do like most raw. Tonight we pan fried up some thin sliced potatoes. I'm thinking that chomping on some raw green onions would be good with fish, too. Just to keep things on the healthier side for a change.
                              I usually bake a lighter fish, the halibut or sea bass will be better with a sear. I go pretty simple on meatier fish, salt and pepper then into a pan with butter. As far as veggies I like them cooked so I don't know what to tell you. Olive oil will work for the fish too, but halibut and butter is a match made in heaven.

Comment

Working...
                              X