Brine for T-Day Bacon wrapped turkey?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brine for T-Day Bacon wrapped turkey?

So I did a bacon wrapped turkey last year and it was excellent, but I keep hearing that if you want the best turkey ever, brine it first... So... I got some brine bags from Williams Sonoma, and have been reading up on many recipes for the brine but haven't decided on one yet.

Also I am trying to decide if I want it to be kinda sweet and use maple cured bacon or smoky and just use either a peppered bacon or just smoked? The bird will be cooked in an oven as I don't have a smoker yet...

Ideas? Favorites?

Last year:

Originally posted by stevo
    Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

brine bags? how much did those things cost you?

I use the Ziploc Big Bags Large clothes storage bags, it's like 5 bucks for four of them. Then put that inside of a small ice chest.

I brined mine in a "mexican" brine, that consisted of water, ice, orange juice, brown sugar, white sugar, salt, pepitas, cumin, garlic, mexican oregano, paprika, onion powder, and a few other spices.

I've been told it was the best tasting turkey any of my family had eaten on Thanksgiving. I smoked it over a mix of cherry and pecan woods, but it was moist and pretty outstanding. We had no leftovers, because everyone took some home.

Comment

brine bags?

What the fuck are those?

Comment

There are 4 resealable, double zip bags in the box, 2 large (up to 24lb turkey) and two smaller ones. Supposedly they are washable and reusable, and it was like $16.

Stevo

Comment

Lol. 5 gallon bucket, you fools!
          Originally posted by BradM
          But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
          Originally posted by Leah
          In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Yeah, I just have an extremely large pot for mine that I found.

1. I maybe retarded, but all those toothpick holes for the bacon would make me go loony.

2. I keep it stupid simple with my brine. it's salt/pepper and one other thing, then hickory smoked.
            Originally posted by MR EDD
            U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

I've always used kitchen trash bags to hold the brine. A few cents.
              "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
              "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

I'm curious about this bacon wrapped turkey. That's a shitload of bacon, what does it do exactly?
                "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Sweet... now that we all know what to brine them in (I already had that part covered)... Any other brine recipes besides the mexican one (which sounds really good)?

Stevo

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
                    I'm curious about this bacon wrapped turkey. That's a shitload of bacon, what does it do exactly?
                    It tastes good... and the fat helps keep the turkey a little more juicy and tender without getting dried out.

Stevo

Comment

Originally posted by bird_dog0347 View Post
                      It tastes good... and the fat helps keep the turkey a little more juicy and tender without getting dried out.
                      That's what I speculated, but it is enough to merit the extra time and bacon cost?

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
                        That's what I speculated, but it is enough to merit the extra time and bacon cost?
                        Are you kidding, you get to eat the BACON!
                        Detailing is an Obsession!!

1996 MYSTIC Cobra #405 of 2000

Fox Coupe "Calypso Killer"

Comment

Originally posted by bird_dog0347 View Post
                          It actually doesn't do that at all (only moistens the skin), but I bet it tastes great.

Brine depends on what I'm cooking, and what I'm in the mood for. Matt's brine is great, but more of a Christmas spice IMO. The one I use most commonly is OJ, kosher salt, and raw sugar
                          Originally posted by BradM
                          But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                          Originally posted by Leah
                          In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

I use garbage bags for my "brine bags". My brine uses iced tea instead of water equal parts salt/sugar.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                              It actually doesn't do that at all (only moistens the skin), but I bet it tastes great.

Brine depends on what I'm cooking, and what I'm in the mood for. Matt's brine is great, but more of a Christmas spice IMO. The one I use most commonly is OJ, kosher salt, and raw sugar
                              hmmm, might have to try that brine...

Also, what you can't see in the pic is where I cut into the breasts on the top and tucked a piece of bacon in there. So yes, my version did exactly what I said, not just the bacon on the outside.

Stevo

Comment

Working...
                              X