Fried my first turkey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fried my first turkey

On Christmas and I do not think I'll serve another oven cooked one again. Since my buddy who normally did fried turkeys for me moved back home I've been suffering not having one. Had an extra turkey left over from Thanksgiving and my best friend has a fryer now so we did one last minute. Man it was a nightmare with the trouble we had with finding peanut oil on Monday and than the trouble with the regulator not maintaining a high enough flame fact and than it started snowing while we were frying. Ready to do another one with my lessons learned.

Originally posted by Jose View Post
    On Christmas and I do not think I'll serve another oven cooked one again. Since my buddy who normally did fried turkeys for me moved back home I've been suffering not having one. Had an extra turkey left over from Thanksgiving and my best friend has a fryer now so we did one last minute. Man it was a nightmare with the trouble we had with finding peanut oil on Monday and than the trouble with the regulator not maintaining a high enough flame fact and than it started snowing while we were frying. Ready to do another one with my lessons learned.
    If you went to the Walmart in GP I t already took the last two gallons on the shelf.....

Comment

Yup. You will never want to bake one again. If you prep it.right, get all the supplies and have controlled conditions, its easy peasy.

Did you inject the turkey? I go with tony's butter, and the seasoning on the outside and inside the skin.
      Last edited by mstng86; 12-27-2012, 09:59 PM.

Comment

Agreed this is the only way to go. I did two for thanksgiving. One was a Cajun injection and the other was jalapeño
        1969 GTO Judge Clone 6.0 liter LQ4 Turbo 4L60e on LS1tech

1960 Chevy Sedan Delivery LS swap

Comment

This is the first year in a decade that I haven't fried a turkey. I decided to have a local BBQ joint smoke a turkey for me and it turned out great. Just as juicy as the fried bird and a hell of a lot easier on me!
          - Darrell

1993 LX - Reef Blue R331ci
          1993 Cobra #199 - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny
            HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by The King View Post
              If you went to the Walmart in GP I t already took the last two gallons on the shelf.....
              No, I went to the Walmart in Oak Cliff. And than two other grocery stores till I found it. How much did you pay for it? And only two gallons?

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
              Yup. You will never want to bake one again. If you prep it.right, get all the supplies and have controlled conditions, its easy peasy.

Did you inject the turkey? I go with tony's butter, and the seasoning on the outside and inside the skin.
              I did a Cajun Butter injector (can't remember the brand) that I bought at Walmart. I did rub it a little with some Creole seasoning I had but it didn't really stick. Something to think about for the next time I did one.

Originally posted by red95gts View Post
              This is the first year in a decade that I haven't fried a turkey. I decided to have a local BBQ joint smoke a turkey for me and it turned out great. Just as juicy as the fried bird and a hell of a lot easier on me!
              I wish my smoker was big enough to accommodate a turkey.

Comment

Originally posted by Jose View Post
                No, I went to the Walmart in Oak Cliff. And than two other grocery stores till I found it. How much did you pay for it? And only two gallons?
                That's all the peanut oil they had on the shelves. I think it was $14 and some change for each one, and that was for Louana name-brand oil (the Great Value house brand wasn't available). I saw some Safeway brand oil in Tom Thumb later for about the same price and bought some more.

Comment

I love fried turkeys... Cooking them up is almost as fun as eating them.

Comment

Working...
                  X