No announcement yet.

Favorite BBQ place in DFW area?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I might have to try that potato from Fred's.

Comment

Originally posted by Roscoe View Post
      I was actually going to mention this one when someone said LC earlier, but it slipped my mind.

Hobbi's isn't bad at all, I'm a fan of the place.... or at least back when I worked in that area.
      Great minds think alike. That could be one of my plates from there.

The place has been sold recently, so the two skinny asian chicks aren't there anymore and neither is the black dude that always gives you the stink eye. I know you know what I'm talking about. Food is still decent though.
      When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Hobbis was good when I lived in Las Colinas, I've heard they sold to an Indian family and it's not the same at all.

Freds is really good

Mike Andersons is probably the most consistently good bbq in the metroplex

I like Marshalls in Carrollton, but only for lunch, by mid day dinner everything is overdone.

Comment

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
          Great minds think alike. That could be one of my plates from there.

The place has been sold recently, so the two skinny asian chicks aren't there anymore and neither is the black dude that always gives you the stink eye. I know you know what I'm talking about. Food is still decent though.
          That was a picture of my food, not your's dammit!!

Yeah, I believed the little black guy that was always in a foul mood that cut the meat was the owner? Wasn't sure... Then there was always the two asian gals that would do the sides and collect payment.

Sad to hear it changed hands, it was a weekly lunch deal for me back in 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by Silverback View Post
            I like Marshalls in Carrollton, but only for lunch, by mid day dinner everything is overdone.
            I've only been during the day and can't speak for the quality of food at night. Though it wouldn't surprise me if it's not as good in the evenings.
            Originally posted by Jester
            Every time you see the fucking guy....show him your fucking dick.. Just whip out your hawg and wiggle it in his direction, put it away, call him a fuckin meatgazer, shoot him the bird and go inside.
            He will spend the rest of the day wondering if he is gay.
            Originally posted by Denny
            What the fuck ever, you fucking fragile faggot.
            FORGTN SOLD1ER - xbox gamer

Comment

Meshacks in Garland. Its literally a shack but its good stuff. Get there early.
              Some cars and a bike...

Some say... they have been raced, some a lot

Comment

Originally posted by Shorty View Post
                I think I might have to try that potato from Fred's.
                Come hungry. Damn that was good.

Comment

I am going to have to google this Freds because I have seen them mentioned in multiple food threads and I love to eat
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Silverback View Post
                    Hobbis was good when I lived in Las Colinas, I've heard they sold to an Indian family and it's not the same at all.
                    Well, just keep in mind, this is coming from Brau, and he doesn't know where he is half the time, and good food to him is hamburger helper.

I do like Hobbi's. not spectacular, but decent. And as someone else said, the catfish is pretty good too.
                    Originally posted by BradM
                    But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                    Originally posted by Leah
                    In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

I used to live in Austin and didn't know how good I had it when I took the short trip down to Lockhart. I agree with everyone else in here - we just don't have anything around Dallas that is on the same level. To be fair, Lockhart is a BBQ mecca in this country. It's the gold standard for beef BBQ.

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                      Anyone tried Lockhart Smoke House in Dallas off of Davis St?
                      I have a couple of times. Definitely over rated. They get their sausage from Lockhart and it's good but overpriced compared to what they cost in Lockhart. The rest of it is just ok and overpriced. I'm pretty sure their food is cooked in a Southern Pride type smoker (gas with wood used only for a little flavor)

Originally posted by cmltoe View Post
                      Pecan log in Dallas farmers market had a good brisket. I think they're only open on weekends.
                      Not bad. Better than Lockhart Smokehouse for sure but still not as good as Central Texas BBQ. Diners, Drive-ins and Dives did a segment there a few months back so it's been pretty busy down there on the weekends.

Originally posted by SC457A View Post
                      Meshacks in Garland. Its literally a shack but its good stuff. Get there early.
                      This is my favorite place around Dallas and I've tried too many to name. Meshack is consistently good. Their ribs are their strong point. Brisket is pretty decent too. It's run by a family - dad on the pit, daughter taking orders and mom doing the sides. And, yeah, it's really a shack. Order at a window and either eat in the car or take it to go. There aren't even any picnic tables. Ask for the spicy sauce on the side.

For those that aren't already familiar with this website, there's a blogger that travels around and rates BBQ joint. He's got a map so you can see what's been reviewed near you. Mostly Texas but he apparently travels a lot for work and tries to find places out of state as well. I find his reviews mostly on par with mine. Sometimes I think he overrates places around Dallas because he wants so badly to have legit BBQ in Dallas. If nothing else I use the website to know which places to avoid.

Full Custom Gospel BBQ is an extensive and exhausting look at Texas BBQ. Through reviews of BBQ joints, books and articles related to our favorite 'cue, we've created a resource for like-minded carnivores. In short, we are The Prophets of Smoked Meat.

Comment

Originally posted by jimithing View Post
                        I used to live in Austin and didn't know how good I had it when I took the short trip down to Lockhart. I agree with everyone else in here - we just don't have anything around Dallas that is on the same level. To be fair, Lockhart is a BBQ mecca in this country. It's the gold standard for beef BBQ.
                        I just started hitting up Lockhart a few years ago whenever I pass through Austin and it never fails I buy about $100 of BBQ to bring back to Dallas. Definitely some of the best BBQ I've ever had and I could see myself making a special trip there to buy some and bring back home.

I have a couple of times. Definitely over rated. They get their sausage from Lockhart and it's good but overpriced compared to what they cost in Lockhart. The rest of it is just ok and overpriced. I'm pretty sure their food is cooked in a Southern Pride type smoker (gas with wood used only for a little flavor)
                        Same here, I feel it's over rated and wasn't to impressed. It's been over a year since I've been there so I may have to make another stop since it's in the neighborhood but it's pricey and unless the quality hasn't improved it will probably be another year or so before I visit. I think your right on the type of smoker, seems like I read that on the blog you posted below.

Not bad. Better than Lockhart Smokehouse for sure but still not as good as Central Texas BBQ. Diners, Drive-ins and Dives did a segment there a few months back so it's been pretty busy down there on the weekends.
                        DDD seems to drive up traffic for a lot of places they review and some I agree with and others I do not. I need to check out Pecan Lodge sometime soon as I've heard nothing but great things about them.

This is my favorite place around Dallas and I've tried too many to name. Meshack is consistently good. Their ribs are their strong point. Brisket is pretty decent too. It's run by a family - dad on the pit, daughter taking orders and mom doing the sides. And, yeah, it's really a shack. Order at a window and either eat in the car or take it to go. There aren't even any picnic tables. Ask for the spicy sauce on the side.
                        Cool. I've never been there either but I'll have to make a special trip to check them out.

For those that aren't already familiar with this website, there's a blogger that travels around and rates BBQ joint. He's got a map so you can see what's been reviewed near you. Mostly Texas but he apparently travels a lot for work and tries to find places out of state as well. I find his reviews mostly on par with mine. Sometimes I think he overrates places around Dallas because he wants so badly to have legit BBQ in Dallas. If nothing else I use the website to know which places to avoid.

http://fcg-bbq.blogspot.com/
                        One of my favorite "foodie" blogs I like to read. The only thing I hate is that some of the places he visits well after lunch time which I suspect can lead to some bad reviews because he's pretty much getting "left overs" and may not be getting a good representation of the quality of the BBQ from his visits.

Comment

I was able ot have Buzzies BBQ from Kerville today and it was pretty damn good. The brisket was great. Tender and moist with a nice bark on it. The ribs were damn good too.
                          I'm still on the fence about his BBQ sauce. It's totaly different than anything I have had anywere else. Has a strong tomato taste, a little sweet and a hint of vinager.

Comment

Originally posted by goofygrin View Post
                            Spring Creek is consistent and the rolls are good
                            Originally posted by Roscoe View Post
                            For chain, I'll do Spring Creek, which as noted above, is pretty decent and consistent.
                            Originally posted by BMCSean View Post
                            For a chain I like Spring Creek
                            Originally posted by Junkie View Post
                            Man, thats crazy. I think Spring Creek is some of the worst BBQ I've ever had and BoneDaddys is HORRIBLE! Only thing good at both is the rolls
                            Originally posted by red95gts View Post
                            I could seriously go to Spring Creek, sit down, and eat 2 dozen of those damn rolls. Best thing in the building for sure.
                            At Spring Creek, consistency is something that is stressed very much from corporate. They want anyone to be able to go to any single location and get the same thing. Part of the problem with their concept, and what affects their product so negatively is actually the serving line. The company stresses slicing the meat thin so that the plate appears to have more meat per serving. This allows the meat to dry out by the time you reach the table. To combat this, they try to put sauce on the meat right before putting the plate up on the bar to keep it warmer and to trap moisture for longer.

Managing bread production is actually one of the most critical aspects of running a Spring Creek - not the meat. It's a huge factor in their success.

My favorite thing there was to take the vanilla ice cream and stuff it in the bread.
                            Men have become the tools of their tools.
                            -Henry David Thoreau

Comment

In order
                              Odoms bbq on singleton in west dallas
                              Freds in irving
                              Mike Andersons

Comment

Originally posted by 01-GATOR View Post
                                In order
                                Odoms bbq on singleton in west dallas
                                Freds in irving
                                Mike Andersons