Lets talk rubs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lets talk rubs

So i have been using Lambert's Sweet Rub o Mine and i really like it but want to experiment. Any suggestions or recipes for your favorite rubs?

I'm too lazy to make my own. I'm a fan of Stubbs.

Comment

Obie que
      FTW

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

I make my own, I dont measure it out exactly but has paprika, crushed red pepper, onion powder, cayenne, brown sugar, coarse ground pepper, salt and some other spices I'll keep to myself

Comment

Originally posted by Randy View Post
          I make my own, I dont measure it out exactly but has paprika, crushed red pepper, onion powder, cayenne, brown sugar, coarse ground pepper, salt and some other spices I'll keep to myself
          Why keep it to yourself? do you compete?

Comment

I make different rubs for different meats.

However I've found that the old town meat market in Lewisville has one of the best brisket rubs around.

Basically just salt pepper and garlic powder, that's the best thing you can do to a brisket.

Pork rubs contain more savory spices as well as sugar

Chicken gets more savory, no sweet

Seafood gets citrus and fresh herbs

Ribs get almost the same thing as pork, and it more heat and sugar.

Comment

Originally posted by Pro88LX View Post
              Why keep it to yourself? do you compete?

BBQ rub recipes are just something you don't share.

Originally posted by Silverback View Post

However I've found that the old town meat market in Lewisville has one of the best brisket rubs around.

Basically just salt pepper and garlic powder, that's the best thing you can do to a brisket.

Spot on. I do like citrus with chicken too.
              Originally posted by BradM
              But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
              Originally posted by Leah
              In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by Silverback View Post

This..... my rub gets different additional spices add to it depending on what meat I make, the standard goes with pretty much everything but it depends on what type of flavor you're trying to achieve with the meat.

And thank you for understanding Brent, I knew of all members you would.

Comment

if you arent making money off of it, i see no reason not to share your "secrets." wierd

Comment

I have bought just about every rub out there and made plenty versions of my own and honestly the one I keep going back to and using the most is The Salt Grass seasoning.
                    It works damn good on briskets, steaks and ribs. I don't care for it much on chicken and go with a home made one for poultry and sea food.

Comment

I've been using their rubs lately with good results.

I also really liked this stuff called Simply Marvelous spicy apple it goes good on ribs.
                      Last edited by cmltoe; 05-29-2013, 11:02 PM.

Comment

Rubs: Serious Business

Comment

Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy View Post
                          if you arent making money off of it, i see no reason not to share your "secrets." wierd
                          I kinda understand not wanting your hard work to test and find the sweet spot on seasonings given away freely, but I agree, it is a bit odd.

It is the same way with drag racers that only do test & tune and grudge races. So what if everyone knows exactly what your combo is, if you are faster you are faster. The secrets thing just seems like something that people want to have over someone else, in the end.
                          "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron View Post
                            I kinda understand not wanting your hard work to test and find the sweet spot on seasonings given away freely, but I agree, it is a bit odd.

It is the same way with drag racers that only do test & tune and grudge races. So what if everyone knows exactly what your combo is, if you are faster you are faster. The secrets thing just seems like something that people want to have over someone else, in the end.
                            I've spent a fuck load of time and money, and gone through a ton of aggravation getting my rub recipes just right. As have millions before me. And people just expect you to share the recipe. It's like someone taking credit for your hard work. I'll give tips, and I've offered criticism such as "too much salt, not enough brown sugar, needs more heat", etc; but I won't tell anyone my exact recipe. Matt probably knows it by now, as much as we BBQ together, but he and I also plan on competing when our schedules calm down.

It's also no secret that I want to open a restaurant one day, and there is a strong possibility that it will be a BBQ joint. People have always given me shit for not sharing the recipe, but they can lick my ass, I really don't care.
                            Originally posted by BradM
                            But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                            Originally posted by Leah
                            In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                              but they can lick my ass, I really don't care.
                              What kind of rub do you use on it?
                              Atlantic Blue '00 - '03 Cobra motor and TKO600, solid axle, full MM suspension
                              Silver '01 Vette - D1 blown LS

Comment

Working...
                              X