Wood of choice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wood of choice

I am cooking 30+ pounds of brisket this weekend for a graduation party and several people have asked why I use mesquite over hickory. Now my personal reason is simple but it makes me wonder if hickory is that superior to mesquite.

What do ya'll prefer and why? Keep in mind that for simplicity sake lets just keep it to beef for right now, when you get into pork and poultry it opens up to many options.
    QuestionableContent-Awesome Webcomic

Cherry and Apple for pork and poultry.

Mesquite doesn't taste as bitter as hickory, to me.

Comment

I like Mesquite, but for long smokes it can be pretty potent.

I usually like to smoke with Mesquite early in the smoke, then switch to oak or something lighter for the second half, since the meat has taken just about all the smoke it can absorb in the first half of the cook.

I like fruit woods for ribs and chicken, but still like mesquite/oak on pork butt

a lot of people like oak because it lasts longer, burns consistently, and leaves minimal ash.

Comment

I used to use apple for almost everything, but I have recently stumbled onto Alder. Damn if it doesn't do fish and poultry right! I have yet to try it with beef but I am very curious about the taste it would infuse.
        Originally posted by lincolnboy
        After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

Ive used hickory, and it was way oversmoked tasting. Ive been using mesquite, but have been wanting to try some peach, apple or cherry. My friend's dad throws a couple of each to get different flavors, thought I dont really taste much difference.
          "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

I use mesquite simply because I have a near limitless supply of it for the incredible low cost of $free.99. I just have to cut it myself.

Comment

The most extensive list of smoke wood on the internet along with what meats/proteins and vegetables they pair well with.

Great review of all different woods...

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
                ...Mesquite doesn't taste as bitter as hickory, to me.
                See I feel the same way but people don't want to hear that.

Originally posted by Silverback View Post
                I like Mesquite, but for long smokes it can be pretty potent.

I usually like to smoke with Mesquite early in the smoke, then switch to oak or something lighter for the second half, since the meat has taken just about all the smoke it can absorb in the first half of the cook.

I like fruit woods for ribs and chicken, but still like mesquite/oak on pork butt

a lot of people like oak because it lasts longer, burns consistently, and leaves minimal ash.
                I might try that if I can wrangle up some cheap and decent oak, shouldn't be hard my parents have tons of it out near their house.

Comment

My old boss at Cavenders uses pecan.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
                  Originally posted by Leah
                  Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Oak is bitter to me, so I never use it.

I mostly use hickory or mesquite, mixed with pecan. On a boston butt, for instance, my smokes are usually 20-24 hours. It's waaaaaay too much to use mesquite or hickory for the entire thing. Pecan is a much lighter smoke, and mixing it with one of the heavier flavored woods keeps things balanced on a long smoke.
                    Originally posted by BradM
                    But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                    In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Elvis told me he uses pecker wood.

Comment

Originally posted by BradM View Post
                        Elvis told me he uses pecker wood.
                        Deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelicious!

god bless.
                        It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

Does no one use pecan ?
                          Vortex rear stand $75
                          8.8 410s. $50

**SKAGG NASTY**
                          My goal in life is to not arrive at the grave in a well preserved body.
                          but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy shit!!!.. what a ride!"

1990 Foxbody GT for that ass
                          11 4 door
                          13 FX2 White 5.0

Comment

I like Pecan and can even get some for pretty cheap once I get my trailer lights back on and get it tagged. Guy that I work with has a pecan orchard down south and said I can come take what I want.

What Coop says makes since, I was always told not to use Oak to cook with but never why. Seems more and more like a lot of people do it though.

Comment

Originally posted by Txstang1 View Post
                              Does no one use pecan ?
                              Nope. Never heard of it....

Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
                              My old boss at Cavenders uses pecan.

Originally posted by bcoop View Post

I mostly use hickory or mesquite, mixed with pecan.

Originally posted by Jewrrick View Post
                              What Coop says makes since, I was always told not to use Oak to cook with but never why. Seems more and more like a lot of people do it though.

I'm of the opinion that people that use oak, do so because it is cheaper than the rest of the woods. Whatever floats their boat, I suppose. I just think it gives off a bitter smoke, so I don't like it, personally.
                              Originally posted by BradM
                              But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                              In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Working...
                              X