Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone tried a reverse sear?

Comment

• I've done it a time or two, made a juicy steak, but didn't have the flavor I prefer. I get a good sear on mine and then shut my egg down to let it finish cooking.

Comment

• Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
        Anyone tried a reverse sear?
        I did a couple weeks back, put it in the oven for 10 mins with the taters, and dropped them on the flat top for a couple seconds per side. It was tasty.
        "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

• I really liked the evenly cooked aspect of it. My wife didn't like that it didn't have that grilled flavor. So I may sear it on the grill instead of the skillet next time.

Comment

• Originally posted by GrayStangGT View Post
            I let my steak sit out more like an hour, I doubt the middle is up to room temp in 15-20min unless it is just a paper thin steak.
            Yea that's what I've been on lately. And Gordon made a good point, 'youll have to over cook the outside to cook the center'. Thats especially true since I eat mine med-med/well.
            I'm about to head to the sto and grab a ribeye, I cant stop thinking about making another.
            DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

• This is about as done as I like mine. 18oz Prime T bone I found on sale at HEB for $9, got in a hurry and didn't get as good of a sear as I like, but it was a damn good steak. I don't know if all HEBs operate the same, but I have pretty good luck finding steak deals on sunday mornings especially on tenderloin.

Comment

• Originally posted by HarrisonTX View Post
                Yea that's what I've been on lately. And Gordon made a good point, 'youll have to over cook the outside to cook the center'. Thats especially true since I eat mine med-med/well.
                I'm about to head to the sto and grab a ribeye, I cant stop thinking about making another.
                Lol shiiiiiit me too actually
                Non tapatalk Sig so the butt hurt va-JJs can stop crying about not being able to turn it off.

Comment

• I typically don't publicly admit this, but I too enjoy a good cast iron cooked steak.

It's just different than grilled/smoked etc.

I cooked some sausage in the deep fryer the other day. That was a lot better than expected. Think I'll cook it for a few minutes in the oil, take it out - batter it and cook it a little longer the next time. With some hush puppies that should be good.
                  Originally posted by MR EDD
                  U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

• Originally posted by ceyko View Post
                    I typically don't publicly admit this, but I too enjoy a good cast iron cooked steak.

It's just different than grilled/smoked etc.

I cooked some sausage in the deep fryer the other day. That was a lot better than expected. Think I'll cook it for a few minutes in the oil, take it out - batter it and cook it a little longer the next time. With some hush puppies that should be good.
                    Whats wrong with it? Is it something I should be ashamed of?

I've got a $16 ribeye warming to room temp right now, rubbed with pepper and salt. My mouth is watering, I should make a cocktail.
                    Working the graveyard makes it acceptable to day drink. Cheers bros.
                    DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

• Lol well ribeye is but a memory and I'm on beer number 3. Yes 3rd shift has its perks
                      Non tapatalk Sig so the butt hurt va-JJs can stop crying about not being able to turn it off.

Comment

Whats wrong with it? Is it something I should be ashamed of?
                        Some folks (used to be one before I figured out how to make a good pan steak) feel steaks should only be made on grills...etc.

I know some folks like that still and it's impossible explaining it to them. Hell, my Dad was suspect until I made a bunch for us one day when it was raining outside. Just took cast iron, seasoned steaks, some butter and had us a meal outside on the fish fryer setup. It was too late to get fires going...etc...etc and I was being lazy.

Comment

• Ah!
                          After my last one, I think I can make it better in the pan. I have more heat control.
                          DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

• Same here. Wife still had her doubts until I put my buggy down now she's hooked. it's great when I don't feel like firing up some coal. I actually crave them.

Comment

Ah!
                              After my last one, I think I can make it better in the pan. I have more heat control.
                              *nod* that control is neat (although I generally am 2-3 minutes on one side, flip and done after another 2 minutes person), but a steak made over a firepit - when hit just right is unbeatable IMO.

That's 2-4 hours of getting fire/coals and prep though. Pan steaks are pretty damned good for the time it takes and little effort.

Comment

• 2 hours to start a fire? Dude get a chimney starter. 15 minutes top

Comment

Working...
                                X