No announcement yet.

DFW BBQ Tour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is a bad picture (like every god damn picture with my galaxy s4) of our 3rd trip to Lockhart's in the past month. We got it togo cause the ol lady gets a lil onry when she eats around others. Kinda like a Gorilla that hasnt eaten in a couple days.

Again, amazing, no bbq sauce needed, my favorite place to eat. Pic is about an hour after we picked it up.

Comment

• Which Lockhart did you go to? Did you get anything besides brisket?

Comment

• The one in oak cliff. We got the cod and brisket. Both are so good it's hard to imagine anything else being better. Sides I've only eaten their blue cheese coleslaw and the pepper pickles.

Comment

• If you guys ever want a good laugh, read a BBQ thread on reddit. Half of them will mention Rudy's as a benchmark of authenticity.
          ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

• Originally posted by YALE View Post
            If you guys ever want a good laugh, read a BBQ thread on reddit. Half of them will mention Rudy's as a benchmark of authenticity.
            Rudy's is great shit. Just ask Henry.....

Comment

• Ten 50 BBQ opens on Monday. Glad to finally see someone making potato salad the right way, though they will lose points if it is served cold. I don't know what the fuck these potatos drowned in mayo really are, but it damn sure isn't potato salad.

Originally posted by BradM
              But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
              Originally posted by Leah
              In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

• I was near downtown on Sunday and it was around lunch time so I stopped into Pecan Lodge for the first time and got a 3 meat plate. Brisket was damn good, but honestly I prefer mine a tad more (just tons of salt, pepper, and a little garlic pepper then a lot of time on the smoker). I agree with bcoop on the smoke ring, my slice had a little better than the above pic. The ribs are AMAZING, best I've had and hands down destroys my best effort on ribs to this point. The sausage (jalapeno) was just ok and I won't order it again.

Originally posted by stevo
                Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

• Originally posted by bird_dog0347 View Post
                  I was near downtown on Sunday and it was around lunch time so I stopped into Pecan Lodge for the first time and got a 3 meat plate. Brisket was damn good, but honestly I prefer mine a tad more (just tons of salt, pepper, and a little garlic pepper then a lot of time on the smoker). I agree with bcoop on the smoke ring, my slice had a little better than the above pic. The ribs are AMAZING, best I've had and hands down destroys my best effort on ribs to this point. The sausage (jalapeno) was just ok and I won't order it again.
                  That's definitely something I noticed with the Pecan Lodge rub, lots of salt and pepper. If you say yours is better than Pecan Lodge's I'd like to try some of that out! Agreed also on the ribs and jalepeno sausage, I think the jalapeno sausage at Lockhart is better. But I would still order it as part of a three meat plate.

Henry, when are we going to hit up Pecan Lodge???

Good read on Hutchin's BBQ. And I agree, it's easily in the Top Ten of BBQ in the DFW area. Now where in that top ten I don't know but I think somewhere in the middle for sure.

Comment

• I think i'm gonna try to hit up Pecan Lodge tomorrow morning.

On a side note, I was in Austin for Labor Day and went to Salt Lick. It was good, but Lockharts and my own Q blow them away.

Now that i've been to a few "named" places, I've grown to realize how good Lockharts is. I judge everything against theirs. (The oak cliff location, not the plano location - it has some catching up to do.
                    I build websites. PM me.

Comment

• I went to Ten50 BBQ in Richardson this week. It's the one being opened by former Chili's founder Larry Lavine. And basically it's a Hard Eight rip off, with better BBQ It gets a 5-6 on my Big Matt's BBQ Scale

The Goods:
                      Brisket was pretty good, nice bark, nice fatty pieces without being all fat, but the rub has something sweet in it. I wish they would have just done a salt/pepper rub and it would have been great. The Jalapeno Cheese sausage is from Tyler, and is awesome. Lots of cheese and lots of heat from the jalapeno. Would get this again and just make sandwiches out of it. The Chicken Torpedos (poppers) were actually really good. And their bread is fresh baked vs store bought, which is a nice change.

The Bad:
                      The beans sucked, especially compared to Hard Eight. Too much tomatoe in them, not what I like in my pinto beans at all. The sauce is horrible, both of them. The "regular" is all sugar, and the "vinegar" is all vinegar. Not much other flavor in either.

The Uhh ok:
                      The ribs were just ok. Cooked good, but nothing amazing. The potato salad was ok, but too busy. The place is nice, line moved rather quickly, and plenty of space for how busy it was. But really it's setup just like Hard Eight. Pits outside, warming pits with meat cutters outside, little sticker tickets for meat that was weighed, then go inside for sides, bread, etc. Then go seat yourself, get your own drinks, etc. I mean other than the beans being free and by the drink station, you'd think you were at Hard Eight.

Comment

• Originally posted by DoesSpeedTurnUon View Post
                        (The oak cliff location, not the plano location - it has some catching up to do.
                        I've heard Plano is better than Oak Cliff, lol.
                        Originally posted by BradM
                        But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                        Originally posted by Leah
                        In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

• Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                          I've heard Plano is better than Oak Cliff, lol.
                          I went about 3 months ago to the plano location and it was ehhhhhh

.... but the oak cliff one... has been spot on every time.
                          I build websites. PM me.

Comment

• Good thread. Ill offer up this hole in a wall place for anyone south of Ft. Worth.

http://www.hickory-stick.com

Its been a couple of years but I remember it being fantastic.

Comment

• Originally posted by Silverback View Post
                              I went to Ten50 BBQ in Richardson this week. It's the one being opened by former Chili's founder Larry Lavine. And basically it's a Hard Eight rip off, with better BBQ It gets a 5-6 on my Big Matt's BBQ Scale
                              I went on Labor Day and agree that the sides were nothing special, but the meat was good. I still like Pecan Lodge the best.

Comment

• Updating my list (notice no one is a 10, I haven't found that Oh My God I could die after eating here BBQ yet)

8-9 - Damn Good BBQ, will stop any chance I get
                                7 - Will be back fo sho
                                6 - Would eat again
                                5 - Might eat again
                                1-4 - Not gonna go back ever

Big Daddy's - Lavon - 9
                                Kreuz, Blacks, Smitty's - Lockhart - 9
                                Lockhart - Plano - 8
                                Slow Bone - Dallas - 8
                                Sammy's BBQ - Dallas - 8
                                Best Quality Meats - Temple - 7
                                Vitek's - Waco - 7