Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Been to Lonesome Dove since the reopening?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Been to Lonesome Dove since the reopening?

Took my Dad and his wife, my brother, and my girlfriend to Lonesome Dove tonight for an early Fathers Day get together. It's been an easy 10 years since I was there last, and I do not remember being overly impressed then. Tonight was a completely different story though.

We started of with the elk tenderloin sliders, blue corn lobster hushpuppies and the rabbit/rattlesnake sausage for appetizers. They were all very good, but the sliders deserve some sort of honorable mention. Fois Gras, elk, a blueberry sauce, all combined to make a taste sensation you need to experience.

We filled up on appetizers, so we all skipped the salad course and went to the main. Beef tenderloin over plaid hash (two or three different kinds of cabbage, sauteed with a mix of peppers), pork tenderloin over a similar mix, beef tenderloin medallions and my plate, the Western Elk tenderloin with truffles, fried spinach leaves and creme fraiche sauce. This might have been the single best "game" style plate I've ever had in front of me. Again, you just need to experience it.

The dessert course followed, and we went with the dessert of the day (chocolate layer cake with raspberry mousse filling, covered with a ridiculously rich chocolate ganache), a cappuccino flan for my Dad, and what turned out to be the star of the meal, chicken fried strawberries. Strawberries, lightly battered and fried, covered with sugar and cinnamon, and served with cinnamon whipped cream and a chocolate ganache dipping sauce. A taste sensation you might never have considered, and you'd be doing yourself a disservice by not trying it.

Toss in a waiter who's been there for 13 years, and knew perfect wine pairings for each course and you have a pretty decent night out. If you haven't been at all, or haven't been in a while, I'd recommend checking them out.

I've wanted to try this place out. My boss is friends (school buddies) with the owner.

Speaking of elk, I had an elk slim jim this weekend, and it was good!

Comment

Haven't seen the elk slim jims yet.

Being a product of the Burleson Independent School District, I admit it was odd dining on our old mascot though. If I had known they were that tasty, I would have shot one years ago.

Comment

Lonsome Dove is by far Love's best restaurant and has always been really good when I've gone, but I still don't see people's obsession with him... Woodshed has decent food but a great location.

For good funky town eats I'm a big fan of AF+B, Bird Cafe and Ellerbes.

Comment

Probably my favorite place to eat in DFW. The Elk Sliders are probably the single best bite of food I've ever had, amazing. The Yellowfin tuna tostadas were a VERY close second. Also grab a cucumber/jalapeno margarita while you're there.

Comment

Originally posted by SonicblueGT03 View Post
            Haven't seen the elk slim jims yet.

Being a product of the Burleson Independent School District, I admit it was odd dining on our old mascot though. If I had known they were that tasty, I would have shot one years ago.
            Technically it wasn't a slim jim, but looked just like one. Got it at the register at Cabela's.

Comment

Originally posted by yellowstang View Post
              Technically it wasn't a slim jim, but looked just like one. Got it at the register at Cabela's.
              I need to make an ammo run anyway, I'll have to check them out.

Comment

Working...
              X