Del Friscos quality steak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Del Friscos quality steak

I'd really like to work on cooking a "perfect" steak, I've heard places like Bobs and DF use a broiler that gets way hotter than anything I have so here is my current plan.

Take steak (filet) out of the fridge, salt and pepper, sit for 45m at room temp
    Heat grill to max heat, ~600F
    Using tongs (no piercing the steak), lay on the grill, keep the lid open
    3m later rotate
    3m later flip
    3m later rotate
    15m rest after grilling

Thats it, does anyone have any experience/advice on this?
    Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Some people will take a cast iron skillet, put in oven to 500 deg for an hour, then put the skillet on the fire. Or turn it upside down to capture heat, and cook on bottom side of skillet.

You really have to scrap the times, because it all depends on the thickness of the cut. I would also let it rest longer prior to cooking, depending on thickness.

But in regards to high end steakhouses, yes. They use broilers that range from 1400-1800 degrees. Temp is key in a good steak. Anything you can do to push that temp up will help.
    Originally posted by BradM
    But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
    Originally posted by Leah
    In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by Mach1 View Post
      I'd really like to work on cooking a "perfect" steak, I've heard places like Bobs and DF use a broiler that gets way hotter than anything I have so here is my current plan.

Take steak (filet) out of the fridge, salt and pepper, sit for 45m at room temp
      Heat grill to max heat, ~600F
      Using tongs (no piercing the steak), lay on the grill, keep the lid open
      3m later rotate
      3m later flip
      3m later rotate
      15m rest after grilling

Thats it, does anyone have any experience/advice on this?
      That's too long, imo. I cook with big filets (16 oz, typically). I let mine sit out of the fridge for an hour, and some where during that time I'll brush them down with Safflower oil and coat them with kosher salt and some garlic pepper. I make a big, hot fire (I prefer lump mesquite) and wait for the flames to die and the coals to be white/orange. Throw them bad boys on and close the grill. 3.5 minutes later I flip them and close the grill. 3.5 minutes later they come off. I drop a little butter on top and let them sit for 10 minutes and then I dig in. These come out rare to medium rare. These are baseball thickness. If you use a thinner steak, you'll need to go for even less time.

Comment

I have a Le Creuset skillet that I put in the oven at 500*F. Once that's hot as shit, move it to a gas burner that's also on high. 30-45 sec on each side of the steak, then back into the oven. ~3-4 min per side is usually good depending on the cut

Comment

We used to use the method bcoop mentioned with the cast iron. Now I have a grill with a sear station so I use the grill now. Lay them out, kosher salt for an hour, brush with olive oil and salt and pepper, sear each side then about 2 mins on each side on the grill. Time varies with thickness.
          Originally posted by davbrucas
          I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Don't cook it too long(anymore than 6 minutes on each side)
            don't puncture the meat in anyway
            the longer it is on the counter the quicker it will cook
            do not season until maybe 10 minutes before throwing on the grill

I cook mine with the grill open and just flip once. It may take a little longer to cook but I feel like I can control it better. I am cooking inch thick steaks so they cook pretty quickly usually.

Comment

Read it, learn it, memorize it... Going by time only serves to overcook, and cause food borne illness. Go by look and feel.

Comment

blasphemy

If you get to that point, you aren't doing it right.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                  Read it, learn it, memorize it... Going by time only serves to overcook, and cause food borne illness. Go by look and feel.

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes...eness_of_meat/
                  10-4, I found that the other day and it's pretty awesome, I will be using it from now on.
                  Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
                    blasphemy

If you get to that point, you aren't doing it right.
                    I used to do all of the cooking for family events with the former in laws. I had to tell some of them if they kept requesting well done they could find someone else to cook. If you come to dinner at my house, mid rare is the most well done you are going to get from me. If you don't like it, McDonald's is down the street.

I don't see how people can eat that flavorless, tough, dried out shit. It is revolting.

Comment

Anyone tried sous vide yet for steak?

Comment

Funny thing about well done, some studies show your chances for cancer are much higher with a well done steak, lol.

Scrutiny of the eating habits of almost 1,000 men linked over-cooked red meat, liver and some processed meats to the deadliest form of the disease, researchers at the University of California found.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                          I don't see how people can eat that flavorless, tough, dried out shit. It is revolting.

Comment

Originally posted by Hmbre97 View Post
                            Anyone tried sous vide yet for steak?
                            Yes. Tender and delicious, but proper equipment is key.

EDIT: You MUST still sear the meat after sous vide to give it color and crust. You can pan sear or slap it on the grill for 30 seconds or so per side, as high as you can crank it.
                            Last edited by bcoop; 06-26-2014, 10:02 AM.

Comment

Green egg 550 degrees, room temp costco steak about 1 1/4 in thick, 1 min first side, flip, then about 8 minutes a side.
                              Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Working...
                              X