cookware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cookware

The new house I recently bought has a brand new gas range/oven and I couldn't be more thrilled about this. I was never a fan of electric range tops especially. With that being said, we ditched a lot of our "first apartment" cookware and are looking for quality pots, pans, etc.

First and foremost I'm looking for info on a cast iron skillet & cast iron grill top. I don't yet have a gas grill so I have to settle for steaks and chicken grilled on the range top.

Is all cast iron the same? Is there any "been around since the whatever" brand to go with?

Also are there any suggestions with pots & pans? I want quality so if it's better to buy individual or in small sets, I'm all game.
    Originally posted by Jester
    Every time you see the fucking guy....show him your fucking dick.. Just whip out your hawg and wiggle it in his direction, put it away, call him a fuckin meatgazer, shoot him the bird and go inside.
    He will spend the rest of the day wondering if he is gay.
    Originally posted by Denny
    What the fuck ever, you fucking fragile faggot.
    FORGTN SOLD1ER - xbox gamer

I'm no master chef, but I like the stainless T-fal set I have.

In my limited experience with cast iron thicker is better.

Comment

We have two full sets of calphalon. One stainless still and one non stick. We also have a bigger 13 inch non stick calphalon pan for bigger meals. This pretty much covers all of our cooking needs and we cook frequently. If you wash them by hand they will last a long time.

As far as cast iron, we use the one we got from her grandmother. So not much help there I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
        We have two full sets of calphalon. One stainless still and one non stick. We also have a bigger 13 inch non stick calphalon pan for bigger meals. This pretty much covers all of our cooking needs and we cook frequently. If you wash them by hand they will last a long time.

As far as cast iron, we use the one we got from her grandmother. So not much help there I guess.
        That's a good point. We wash all cookware and cutlery by hand.

Comment

I use a cast iron pan I bought at Cracker Barrel but just about anything cast iron and heavy will work the same. Just make sure it's seasoned well and wash it by hand. I just use a scrubber with a tiny bit of residual soap, rinse and throw it on a smoking hot burner until it's dry. Then reapply some olive oil.

For non stick stuff I bought a set of Circulon pans and they've both warped pretty badly and are useless. My Calphalon one still works good though. You get what you pay for.

For the pans I have an early Emeril set which is actually just a rebranded All Clad set. Basically this setup: http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/a...YPE%3DCookware Set%26sp%3D1%26spc%3D8%26ruleId%3D%26slotId%3D4

It wasn't anywhere near that price when I got it though. I've had them for 10+ years and everything still looks and works great.

Comment

Vintage cast iron is smoother, creating a better non-stick surface but the newer stuff is fine. Lodge is available tons of places and comes pre seasoned. As mentioned you don't use soap as it removes the seasoning. I use a dedicated scrub brush that never sees soap on mine. For really stuck on food, boiling water in it on the range and scraping with a wooden spoon hasn't failed me yet. We don't use it for everything as the weight is an inconvenience.

Comment

IBBSAOYC
              in before bcoop shits all over your cookware

god bless.
              It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

Lodge for Cast Iron (Cracker Barrell sells it). All Clad or Calphalon are probably the best bang for the buck on cookware. There is much higher end stuff, but you won't find it at typical stores.

I prefer heavy bottom pots and pans for even heat distribution.
                Originally posted by BradM
                But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                Originally posted by Leah
                In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by ELVIS View Post
                  IBBSAOYC
                  in before bcoop shits all over your cookware

god bless.
                  Dude, he agreed with me!

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post
                    Dude, he agreed with me!
                    Me too!!

Maybe he is not an elitist asshole

Comment

I'm pretty much all cast iron these days myself. We have family cast iron and then "my" cast iron.

The family washes their cast iron with minimal soap and hot water and pads.

I wash my cast iron with balled up aluminum foil, coarse salt and hot water only. I wash it about every 2-4 weeks unless I cook fish or something (eggs tend to make a mess I don't like to leave sitting) that creates a mess. Then I reapply olive oil thinly on it. There are two ways I get that oil applied. Turn a burner on high for 10 minutes and let it set - but what works better is turning an over on 500 - turn it off and then put the cast iron in the oven until it cools.

1001 ways to care for cast iron, different strokes for different folks. Also if you buy rusted/old cast iron there are a lot of articles out there on how to restore it.
                      Originally posted by MR EDD
                      U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

This is my favorite fwiw. Seems pricing has dropped quite a bit. We used to represent this line before Vollrath bought them. I can't speak to quality now but it used to be the best you could buy. I'll add a disclaimer that these used to be $100+ per piece. Looks like they've got some combo sets now for the price you used to get just one pan for. They are induction pans (heavy bottom), but can be used on regular burners. I've got several sample pieces from 6-7 years ago and they still look new.

EDITED: Linked wrong series. Correct link - http://vollrath.com/Professional-Coo...wordFilter=&&&
                        Last edited by bcoop; 04-15-2015, 03:36 PM.

Comment

I like those pots...etc with the heavy bottoms. We have some mismatched pieces that have that and it's awesome.
                          Originally posted by MR EDD
                          U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Good info here. I'm pretty sure I've seen Calphalon in Bed Bath & Beyond.
                            Originally posted by Jester
                            Every time you see the fucking guy....show him your fucking dick.. Just whip out your hawg and wiggle it in his direction, put it away, call him a fuckin meatgazer, shoot him the bird and go inside.
                            He will spend the rest of the day wondering if he is gay.
                            Originally posted by Denny
                            What the fuck ever, you fucking fragile faggot.
                            FORGTN SOLD1ER - xbox gamer

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                              Good info here. I'm pretty sure I've seen Calphalon in Bed Bath & Beyond.
                              Calphalon is pretty readily available at any of the box stores. BB&B, Macy's Dillards, etc.

Try finding a Tuesday Morning near you, though. When they run sales on cookware, the deals can't be beat. I know for sure they carry All Clad. I'm pretty sure they have Calphalon as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X