No announcement yet.

Normally, I'm not a fan of the ACLU...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Normally, I'm not a fan of the ACLU...

...but agree with them in this case. It wasn't illegal, and he did it on his day off.
    A New Jersey Transit worker fired for burning a copy of the Koran near Ground Zero last Sept. 11 is getting his job back– and an extra $25,000 for his troubles.

Derek Fenton, 40, who was fired on Sept. 13, 2010 a day after torching the Muslim holy book at the site of a proposed Islamic center near the former site of the World Trade Center, is set to return to his $86,110-a-year job and receive $25,000 for pain and suffering as well as $331 in back pay for everyday since his dismissal, the Newark Star Ledger reported.

New Jersey Transit also has to pay the ACLU $25,000 in legal fees for bringing the suit on Fenton’s behalf, according to the settlement.

Fenton, who wasn't working that day, was there to mark the ninth anniversary of the attacks on the World Trade Center. His protest received national attention as well as criticism from New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie who supported his firing.

"Our government cannot pick and choose whose free speech rights are protected, based on whether or not they approve of the content of our statements or actions," Fenton said in a statement. "This is the very essence of the First Amendment."
    "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

They better be careful, I think that last set of sentences could be used against them in past cases.
    Originally posted by MR EDD
    U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Working...
    X