What makes the bible true

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by racrguy View Post
    You've illustrated an inconsistency. Remember the three laws of logic I explained earlier in the thread?

Something is what it is, is not what it isn't. And cannot be both or neither at the same time. Therefore we can conclude that the bible is illogical.
    Again, when you study the Bible, you will start to understand its "mysteries."

Mark 10:8
    And they twain shall be one flesh: so then they are no more twain, but one flesh.

Genesis 2:24
    Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.

You see here where 2 become one in marriage. Its called the covenant bond or marriage. Same as the Trinity. Not sure why this is so hard to understand.
    Photobucket

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackSnake View Post
      Matthew 3:16-17 (English Standard Version)
      16And when Jesus was baptized, immediately he went up from the water, and behold,(A) the heavens were opened to him,[a] and he(B) saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and coming to rest on him; 17and behold,(C) a voice from heaven said,(D) "This is my beloved Son,[b] with whom I am well pleased."

Does this verse help you understand the trinity some? How can you dispute that? Its very clear. No?
      Originally posted by BlackSnake View Post
      Matthew 28:19
      Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

John 14:16-17
      16And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; 17Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

2 Corinthians 13:14
      The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Ghost, [be] with you all. Amen.

Acts 2:32-33
      32This Jesus hath God raised up, whereof we all are witnesses. 33Therefore being by the right hand of God exalted, and having received of the Father the promise of the Holy Ghost, he hath shed forth this, which ye now see and hear.

John 17:11
      And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we [are].

John 17:21
      That they all may be one; as thou, Father, [art] in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.
      I must admit, I haven’t gone and looked up all of the verses here in context. So, for the sake of the discussion, I’m going to assume that you are correct in illustrating that the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit\Ghost are “not the same thing”, as The King put it. However, Christian dogma states that the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit/Ghost are three unique facets of one being. They are 3 personalities of one being. They are the same being. So, Racrguy’s point is sound, regardless of the conflicting passages you cite.

"Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I am." -John 8:58
      "I and the Father are one." -John 10:30
      "....the Father is in me and I am in the Father." -John 10:38-39

I can cite more verses in support of the godhead. All three are unique, but one being. So, to blaspheme against the Holy Spirit would be blasphemy to both Jesus and God. To blaspheme against Jesus would be to blaspheme against both the Holy Spirit and God. Or any combination thereof.

Just to cover all my bases here, you brought up Mark 14:71. If, by your statement, blasphemy is the claim that “someone rejects the evidence given by the Holy Spirit and credits it to Satan”, then by your own statement, Peter did not blaspheme Jesus, anywhere in that chapter. He merely denied knowing Jesus, so as not to be beaten. Even taking the strict dictionary definition, only the vaguest of the dictionary definitions could be claimed to say that Peter blasphemed Jesus. Also, nowhere in that chapter is Peter forgiven.

Originally posted by BlackSnake View Post
      Again, when you study the Bible, you will start to understand its "mysteries."

Mark 10:8
      And they twain shall be one flesh: so then they are no more twain, but one flesh.

Genesis 2:24
      Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.

You see here where 2 become one in marriage. Its called the covenant bond or marriage. Same as the Trinity. Not sure why this is so hard to understand.
      Now, these quotes I did bother to look up in context. Really, only one verse can be honestly counted, as Mark 10:8 is Jesus specifically referencing Genesis 2:24.

Never does it reference the covenant bond or marriage in association with either verse. Also, when put into context, God states that because woman has the rib of man that “Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.”

So, it cannot be called the covenant bond or marriage. I also have to point out that, by your own statement, God is married to himself. I’ve never seen any reference to God being married at all, in the bible, let alone married to himself.
      Scientists do not coddle ideas. They crash test them. They run them into a brick wall at 60 miles per hour and then examine the pieces.

If the idea is sound, the pieces will be that of the wall.

Comment

• Originally posted by The King View Post
        I'm, I've, I, My......

LOL
        Originally posted by The King View Post
        Lots of first person singular again, LOL
        I fail to find any point to these two posts.

It's difficult to imagine how one could discuss their own position on things without using personal nouns and/or pronouns.

Scientists do not coddle ideas. They crash test them. They run them into a brick wall at 60 miles per hour and then examine the pieces.

Comment

• Originally posted by jdgregory84 View Post
          Religion is purely faith based. They shouldn't feel the need to come up with anything new to prove to you or anybody else something that you don't believe in. The funny thing is people like you not getting that. Religion has helped plenty of people get through tough times and it's even helped people turn their life around. Whether it's based on fact or fiction shouldn't matter. The placebo effect is still an effect.
          I refuse to give cash or alcohol to an alcoholic for the same reason that I refuse to hide the illogical nature of the religious's claims.

Comment

• Originally posted by racrguy View Post
            Just like the title says, what in the bible makes it true?
            What makes it not true?

Comment

• Originally posted by 564826 View Post
              What makes it not true?
              I think we went over this in another thread. The lack of evidence that the events in the bible occured for one. However, burden of proof lies with the person saying it is true. If I told you that unicorns were real, it would be up to me to prove it.
              "Any dog under 50lbs is a cat and cats are pointless." - Ron Swanson

Comment

• Originally posted by jdgregory84 View Post
                I think we went over this in another thread. The lack of evidence that the events in the bible occured for one. However, burden of proof lies with the person saying it is true. If I told you that unicorns were real, it would be up to me to prove it.
                What this guy said.

But it was gone over in this thread as well.

Comment

• If you told me you had faith that unicorns were real, who am I to tell you it's not true. There is no disproving someone's faith.

Comment

• Originally posted by thebeave View Post
                    If you told me you had faith that unicorns were real, who am I to tell you it's not true. There is no disproving someone's faith.
                    Read the thread, we've been over this already, numerous time.

Edit: And when there's evidence to the contrary, or a lack of evidence supporting your position, your claim is not true. Faith or not.
                    Last edited by racrguy; 06-07-2011, 06:53 PM.

Comment

• My 4yr old has faith that Santa is real...just sayin'!

Comment

• The definition of faith is literally belief in something for which there is no proof...just sayin...people looking for answers typically want to believe but lack the faith to do so. What is the point in trying to disprove the Bible. What does one gain from doing so?

Comment

• Originally posted by thebeave View Post
                          The definition of faith is literally belief in something for which there is no proof...just sayin...people looking for answers typically want to believe but lack the faith to do so. What is the point in trying to disprove the Bible. What does one gain from doing so?
                          We've gone over faith in this thread and the other as well. I'm sure plenty of kidnapping victims have faith that they're gonna be ok. Like the good doctor said, faith is for kids and the ignorant. Note that I said ignorant, not stupid.

Comment

• Originally posted by davbrucas View Post
                            My 4yr old has faith that Santa is real...just sayin'!
                            That's because you're a liar... just sayin'.

And this horse is still being beat. LOL! Some of you won't be satisfied, ever.

Comment

• Originally posted by Denny View Post
                              That's because you're a liar... just sayin'.

And this horse is still being beat. LOL! Some of you won't be satisfied, ever.
                              Liar? How so? Because I allow him to partake in make believe? He is four. You are an adult...you better watch out, you better not pout...Jesus Claus is coming to town.

Comment

• Originally posted by davbrucas View Post
                                Liar? How so? Because I allow him to partake in make believe? He is four. You are an adult...you better watch out, you better not pout...Jesus Claus is coming to town.
                                I think he was kidding.

Comment

Working...
                                X