What makes the bible true

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by racrguy View Post
    *taps you on the shoulder politely* It was 1:07 am CDT when you posted that.
    1am, whatever. Same still holds true. Most likely drunk.
    "Any dog under 50lbs is a cat and cats are pointless." - Ron Swanson

Comment

• Originally posted by jdgregory84 View Post
      1am, whatever. Same still holds true. Most likely drunk.
      Probably blacked out afterwards and recovered at 3am, we know how that goes.
      Originally posted by MR EDD
      U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

• noone said you have to believe the bible is true. but when the time comes dont go crying over it. your either a believer or your not

Comment

• Originally posted by QIK46 View Post
          noone said you have to believe the bible is true. but when the time comes dont go crying over it. your either a believer or your not
          Translation: You're gonna burn in HELL, nonbeliever.

Since we're talking about the abrahamic god, where else would you derive your beliefs from, other than the bible?

Comment

• Originally posted by QIK46 View Post
            noone said you have to believe the bible is true. but when the time comes dont go crying over it. your either a believer or your not
            I disagree. Either God did what He said He would do, and Jesus did what He said He did, or they did not. The premise of Christianity is that they did. If you believe that they did, and profess to believe in Christianity, you must therefore accept everything recorded in the Bible regarding God and Jesus as true and be willing to openly say so.

Comment

• Racrguy

Admittedly, I didn't read the entire thread(just the first page), and I'm not a religious person at all, but what response are you looking for? Someone found God's footprint somewhere? A vile of Jesus' blood found somewhere? A hidden youtube clip of him performing a miracle?

Comment

• Originally posted by kanetrain View Post
                A vile of Jesus' blood...
                LoL at this pun.

Comment

• Originally posted by davbrucas View Post
                  LoL at this pun.
                  I overlooked that Dave, thanks for pointing that out.

You have a vile sense of humour.....

Comment

• Originally posted by The King View Post
                    I overlooked that Dave, thanks for pointing that out.

You have a vile sense of humour.....
                    Thanks...I think!

Comment

• If you want more of a scientific view of Christianity and why we believe, try reading the book by Josh McDowell called "More than a Carpenter" which is an easier read..."Evidence that demands a Verdict" is basically the same book but very scientific/harder read.... or "The Case for Christ," by Lee Stroble. Both of these men were atheists who set out to disprove Christianity through science and ended up becoming Christians. There is a lot of science in the books. Everyone has the right to believe what they want but my opinion is that people think Christians are stupid for believing in God, or not believing in evolution or whatever...but they don't really research the science of what we believe from an educated Christian's view. They ask some un-educated Christian why they believe in God and their answer is "Because the bible says so" and they are understandably not impressed. At least research your questions through a Christian who can defend their faith and then make your decision having all the information from both points of view.

Comment

• Originally posted by davbrucas View Post
                        Thanks...I think!
                        You are correct (I shoulda used a smilie)

Comment

• Originally posted by stephen4785 View Post
                          If you want more of a scientific view of Christianity and why we believe, try reading the book by Josh McDowell called "More than a Carpenter" which is an easier read..."Evidence that demands a Verdict" is basically the same book but very scientific/harder read.... or "The Case for Christ," by Lee Stroble. Both of these men were atheists who set out to disprove Christianity through science and ended up becoming Christians. There is a lot of science in the books.
                          So, what you’re basically saying here is we should take our high level scientific evidence from Josh McDowell, who has a whole Bachelors of Arts as his highest legitimate educational achievement, or from Lee Strobel, a man whose academic accolades include a Bachelors for Journalism and a Masters in Law. These are the scientific experts that are supposed to show us the “educated” scientific view of Christianity?

While I admit, I’ve not touched either of Mr. McDowell’s books, his credentials to discuss the topic of science don’t bode well for the man.

As for Mr. Strobel, you expect a man who converted by citing the Kalam cosmological argument as a reason, to discuss the science that he is not trained in as well? Or perhaps, all the time he spent with Michael Behe, who was shown to be either intentionally dishonest or, at best, incredulous during the Kitzmiller v. Dover trial. You give some stand up sources for supposed scientific support for Christianity.

Originally posted by stephen4785
                          Everyone has the right to believe what they want
                          No disagreement here. However, I don’t remember ever seeing anyone make the claim otherwise. If someone did, please point it out. If no one did, the above point is irrelevant to the topic.

Originally posted by stephen4785
                          but my opinion is that people think Christians are stupid for believing in God, or not believing in evolution or whatever...but they don't really research the science of what we believe from an educated Christian's view. They ask some un-educated Christian why they believe in God and their answer is "Because the bible says so" and they are understandably not impressed. At least research your questions through a Christian who can defend their faith and then make your decision having all the information from both points of view.
                          I’d say that you’re doing the members of this board a great disservice. You basically stated that all the people that stand on your side of the fence that frequent this board are uneducated.

I do not remember anywhere on this thread that stated that only the uneducated need reply. It seemed to me that the question was available for anyone to respond to, and therefore Racrguy did not “ask some un-educated Christian” unless you do the people on this board the great disservice I referenced above.

Edit: It didn’t dawn on me until after I posted that your implications of the Christians of these forums being uneducated precludes the acceptance of your evidence, as you would be just as uneducated if you are a Christian on this board.
                          Last edited by Maddhattter; 06-23-2011, 06:59 PM. Reason: Forgot to source the quotes
                          Scientists do not coddle ideas. They crash test them. They run them into a brick wall at 60 miles per hour and then examine the pieces.

If the idea is sound, the pieces will be that of the wall.

Comment

• Originally posted by kanetrain View Post
                            Admittedly, I didn't read the entire thread(just the first page), and I'm not a religious person at all, but what response are you looking for? Someone found God's footprint somewhere? A vile of Jesus' blood found somewhere? A hidden youtube clip of him performing a miracle?
                            Theists have told me numerous times that their faith is logical. If it is logical, surely there must be some evidence that backs up their claims. To the best of my knowledge there hasn't been any that has satisfactorily stood up to even the slightest amount of scrutiny. I'm merely looking for some evidence in support of the bible that will withstand the same level of skepticism that we apply to standard scientific hypothesis.

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by Maddhattter View Post
                                So, what you’re basically saying here is we should take our high level scientific evidence from Josh McDowell, who has a whole Bachelors of Arts as his highest legitimate educational achievement, or from Lee Strobel, a man whose academic accolades include a Bachelors for Journalism and a Masters in Law. These are the scientific experts that are supposed to show us the “educated” scientific view of Christianity?

While I admit, I’ve not touched either of Mr. McDowell’s books, his credentials to discuss the topic of science don’t bode well for the man.

As for Mr. Strobel, you expect a man who converted by citing the Kalam cosmological argument as a reason, to discuss the science that he is not trained in as well? Or perhaps, all the time he spent with Michael Behe, who was shown to be either intentionally dishonest or, at best, incredulous during the Kitzmiller v. Dover trial. You give some stand up sources for supposed scientific support for Christianity.

No disagreement here. However, I don’t remember ever seeing anyone make the claim otherwise. If someone did, please point it out. If no one did, the above point is irrelevant to the topic.

I’d say that you’re doing the members of this board a great disservice. You basically stated that all the people that stand on your side of the fence that frequent this board are uneducated.

I do not remember anywhere on this thread that stated that only the uneducated need reply. It seemed to me that the question was available for anyone to respond to, and therefore Racrguy did not “ask some un-educated Christian” unless you do the people on this board the great disservice I referenced above.

Edit: It didn’t dawn on me until after I posted that your implications of the Christians of these forums being uneducated precludes the acceptance of your evidence, as you would be just as uneducated if you are a Christian on this board.
                                How about reading them before you decide...that's my whole point. I didn't say they were scientific experts...I said there is a lot of science in the books. I don't have a doctorate in physics but I know the law of gravity. So, by your standard that means when I tell you an apple will fall if you drop it...you shouldn't listen to me? The science is solid, read it and decide for yourself. If you want to believe Christianity is a farce fine but go to whomever you see fit as a reliable scientific mind that defends Christianity and listen to both sides. You judge the quality of the evidence from books I mentioned without even looking at them. Watch the movie "Expelled", get on a apologetics board and talk with someone there about questions. If I want to know about cars I come on a cars forum, if I want to know about the bible I don't go to a cars forum. Sadly I believe most Christians need to be able to defend their faith better, including myself. There are many brilliant scientific minds out there who are Christians http://www.tektonics.org/scim/sciencemony.htm We can both name names, compare education, argue all day and we will never have what anyone could consider a 100% answer. If we could...there would be no debate about it. A certain amount of faith is required on both sides.
                                Again, my point is that if you are looking to answers to one of life's most important questions...it might be wise to do your research and not just take the word of some guy (Any of us) on a mustang forum.
                                Here is a link I found...never been on it before but it looks good for anyone interested http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/answers.html
                                Last edited by stephen4785; 06-24-2011, 01:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X