What makes the bible true

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by forbes View Post
    i have an honest question without trying to set up anything...
    how does the bible really differ in teachings than any other religoin excluding the jesus part... i have read the bible and it is a great book of moral conditioning... but it really follows along the same Principes as lets say mother goose...
    The Jesus part is the centerpiece of the entire Bible, and it would not exist if not for Jesus.

Comment

• Originally posted by The King View Post
      Context is indeed key, petunia, and in the context of Genesis 1:26, image and likeness are not defining visual appearance.
      Given that people have claimed seeing God both in the bible and in the hundreds of years since, there is no indication that it's not a visual likeness, and if image and likeness are interchangeable, due to the definitions, it could not be anything other than visual. That's the way word association works, sugarbear.
      Scientists do not coddle ideas. They crash test them. They run them into a brick wall at 60 miles per hour and then examine the pieces.

If the idea is sound, the pieces will be that of the wall.

Comment

i have an honest question without trying to set up anything...
        how does the bible really differ in teachings than any other religion excluding the jesus part... i have read the bible and it is a great book of moral conditioning... but it really follows along the same Principes as lets say mother goose...
        Moral what!? Did you miss the Old Testament? The bible's morality is far different than Mother Goose. Unless Mother Goose thought slavery was ok, for one. I didn't get that from Mother Goose stories, but it's possible.

However, your question is valid. When it comes to the Abrahamic religions, there is not a lot of difference, but there are major differences doctrinally. When expanding beyond the Abrahamic religions, points begin to vary wildly, depending on the particular religion.

If you want more info, I'd recommend you look up some comparative religion classes at your local college. The course would be able to cover more details than I would.
        Scientists do not coddle ideas. They crash test them. They run them into a brick wall at 60 miles per hour and then examine the pieces.

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by Maddhattter View Post
            Given that people have claimed seeing God both in the bible and in the hundreds of years since, there is no indication that it's not a visual likeness, and if image and likeness are interchangeable, due to the definitions, it could not be anything other than visual. That's the way word association works, sugarbear.
            Support your statement above by listing names of people claiming to have seen God, in a visual likeness, from the Bible. Include references to Book, Chapter, and Verse. Image and likeness are not visual in the Biblical context, a concept you may eventually grasp after you perform the above requested task, buttercup.

Claims about seeing God in hundreds of years since???

Originally posted by Maddhattter View Post
            Moral what!? Did you miss the Old Testament? The bible's morality is far different than Mother Goose. Unless Mother Goose thought slavery was ok, for one. I didn't get that from Mother Goose stories, but it's possible.

However, your question is valid. When it comes to the Abrahamic religions, there is not a lot of difference, but there are major differences doctrinally. When expanding beyond the Abrahamic religions, points begin to vary wildly, depending on the particular religion.

If you want more info, I'd recommend you look up some comparative religion classes at your local college. The course would be able to cover more details than I would.
            I would hope they would be able to cover more details than you would. Your knowledge of what the Old Testament is about seems to be almost nil.

Comment

slavery = mother goose... there was an old woman who lived in a shoe.. seems slave like to me...
              i have studied several religions actually i am a recovering catholic so to say....
              my faith is somewhat self defined...
              and actually i believe alot of what the comedian george carlin has to say... he makes alot of references that seem definitive based on common sense, something i can't say about alot of scripture from any doctrine... and at this point, i'm not arguing.. just trying to gather information in order to make reasonable opinion on what suits me )(rather it falls tween either of your guidelines) i just prefer to think rationally than to say i believe certain things based on religious faith or lack of
              first class white trash

Comment

• and before i get a total rashing of shit... i do not claim to be a scholar of anything regarding faith or lack of. i find fault in both of your arguments... which is the reason i question both of you in order to seek out information in forming my own opinions
                first class white trash

Comment

The Jesus part is the centerpiece of the entire Bible, and it would not exist if not for Jesus.
                  the old testemant (part of the bible existed..) and that was before jesus... so does that make it null and void?
                  first class white trash

Comment

Support your statement above by listing names of people claiming to have seen God, in a visual likeness, from the Bible. Include references to Book, Chapter, and Verse. Image and likeness are not visual in the Biblical context, a concept you may eventually grasp after you perform the above requested task, buttercup.
                    Everyone who saw Jesus. John 1:1,14.

Just to ensure that I include an Old Testament reference, Moses.

Exodus 33:11
                    And the LORD spake unto Moses face to face, as a man speaketh unto his friend.

Deuteronomy 34:10
                    And there arose not a prophet since in Israel like unto Moses, whom the Lord knew face to face.

Originally posted by The King
                    Claims about seeing God in hundreds of years since???
                    http://www.haveyouseengod.com/ Yep. The claims of seeing God in the hundreds of years since the bible.

I would hope they would be able to cover more details than you would. Your knowledge of what the Old Testament is about seems to be almost nil.
                    Exodus 21:2
                    If thou buy an Hebrew servant....

Exodus 21:7
                    If a man sell his daughter to be a maidservant....

Exodus 21:20-21
                    And if a man smite his servant, or his maid, with a rod, and he die under his hand; he shall be surely punished. Notwithstanding, if he continue a day or two, he shall not be punished: for he is his money.

Exodus 22:3
                    If he have nothing, then he shall be sold for his theft.

Leviticus 22:11
                    If the priest buy any soul with his money....

Leviticus 25:39
                    And if thy brother that dwelleth by thee be waxen poor, and be sold unto thee....

Leviticus 25:44-46
                    Both thy bondmen, and thy bondmaids, which thou shalt have, shall be of the heathen that are round about you; of them shall ye buy bondmen and bondmaids. Moreover of the children of the strangers that do sojourn among you, of them shall ye buy, and of their families that are with you, which they begat in your land: and they shall be your possession. And ye shall take them as an inheritance for your children after you, to inherit them for a possession; they shall be your bondmen for ever.

Ephesians 6:5
                    Servants, be obedient to them that are your masters according to the flesh, with fear and trembling, in singleness of your heart, as unto Christ.

Colossians 3:22
                    Servants, obey in all things your masters according to the flesh; not with eyeservice, as menpleasers; but in singleness of heart, fearing God.

1 Timothy 6:1
                    Let as many servants as are under the yoke count their own masters worthy of all honour, that the name of God and his doctrine be not blasphemed.

Titus 2:9-10
                    Exhort servants to be obedient unto their own masters, and to please them well in all things; not answering again; Not purloining, but shewing all good fidelity; that they may adorn the doctrine of God our Saviour in all things.

1 Peter 2:18
                    Servants, be subject to your masters with all fear; not only to the good and gentle, but also to the froward.

Oh, your right. The bible doesn't endorse slavery. Where would I get that?
                    Last edited by Maddhattter; 07-01-2011, 07:38 PM.

Comment

slavery = mother goose... there was an old woman who lived in a shoe.. seems slave like to me...
                      So, is it living in a shoe that makes her a slave? The nursery rhyme never implied servitude to me. Again, I could be wrong.

Comment

So, is it living in a shoe that makes her a slave? The nursery rhyme never implied servitude to me. Again, I could be wrong.
                        i guess it's perspective... she was poor, tending to all these kids kinda ties her into the whole women are not equal thing... just like red riding hood, the wolf takes advantage of the girl, jack sprats fat ass wife.. they all seem derogatory towards women.. which is enslavement on one sector or another... arabs have there women walk behind them, in the old testament women on the rag were cast of by themselves ( i understand the health issue part) but rather it be race or sex... enslavement and being held below any other person or man is enslavement to me (used as a verb)
                        first class white trash

Comment

Everyone who saw Jesus. John 1:1,14.

Just to ensure that I include an Old Testament reference, Moses.

Exodus 33:11
                          And the LORD spake unto Moses face to face, as a man speaketh unto his friend.

Deuteronomy 34:10
                          And there arose not a prophet since in Israel like unto Moses, whom the Lord knew face to face.
                          Jesus is the Son, you have failed.

Spake is not visual, you have failed.

Knew is not visual, you have failed.

LOL now get back to work......God's image and likeness in the Bible are not visual.

Originally posted by Maddhatter
                          http://www.haveyouseengod.com/ Yep. The claims of seeing God in the hundreds of years since the bible.
                          So what? You can claim to have seen Napoleon, and post that on website. Claims posted on an internet site are not by default true.

Originally posted by MADDhatter
                          Exodus 21:2
                          If thou buy an Hebrew servant....

Exodus 21:7
                          If a man sell his daughter to be a maidservant....

Exodus 21:20-21
                          And if a man smite his servant, or his maid, with a rod, and he die under his hand; he shall be surely punished. Notwithstanding, if he continue a day or two, he shall not be punished: for he is his money.

Exodus 22:3
                          If he have nothing, then he shall be sold for his theft.

Leviticus 22:11
                          If the priest buy any soul with his money....

Leviticus 25:39
                          And if thy brother that dwelleth by thee be waxen poor, and be sold unto thee....

Leviticus 25:44-46
                          Both thy bondmen, and thy bondmaids, which thou shalt have, shall be of the heathen that are round about you; of them shall ye buy bondmen and bondmaids. Moreover of the children of the strangers that do sojourn among you, of them shall ye buy, and of their families that are with you, which they begat in your land: and they shall be your possession. And ye shall take them as an inheritance for your children after you, to inherit them for a possession; they shall be your bondmen for ever.

Ephesians 6:5
                          Servants, be obedient to them that are your masters according to the flesh, with fear and trembling, in singleness of your heart, as unto Christ.

Colossians 3:22
                          Servants, obey in all things your masters according to the flesh; not with eyeservice, as menpleasers; but in singleness of heart, fearing God.

1 Timothy 6:1
                          Let as many servants as are under the yoke count their own masters worthy of all honour, that the name of God and his doctrine be not blasphemed.

Titus 2:9-10
                          Exhort servants to be obedient unto their own masters, and to please them well in all things; not answering again; Not purloining, but shewing all good fidelity; that they may adorn the doctrine of God our Saviour in all things.

1 Peter 2:18
                          Servants, be subject to your masters with all fear; not only to the good and gentle, but also to the froward.

Oh, your right. The bible doesn't endorse slavery. Where would I get that?
                          What does your copy/paste of Google links about slavery in the Bible have to do with your lack of knowledge about the Old Testament? BTW your wayward response above includes pastes from the New Testament, further illustrating your lack of knowledge.

Comment

i guess it's perspective... she was poor, tending to all these kids kinda ties her into the whole women are not equal thing... just like red riding hood, the wolf takes advantage of the girl, jack sprats fat ass wife.. they all seem derogatory towards women.. which is enslavement on one sector or another...
                            So, is any story that derogatory towards men enslavement? If that's the case, there's not a whole lot of literary room to work with.

If it's not, it's a double standard, which seems to be even more derogatory to women. To me, it seems to imply that men can take being shown in a bad light, but women can't handle it.

I also admit, I firmly believe that if a woman wants to be treated as an an equal, she gets no special treatment. If she wants to be treated like a princess, or whatever, then she will not be treated as an equal.

Originally posted by forbes
                            arabs have there women walk behind them, in the old testament women on the rag were cast of by themselves ( i understand the health issue part) but rather it be race or sex... enslavement and being held below any other person or man is enslavement to me (used as a verb)
                            I can't see the justification of calling it enslavement, unless one is imposing their will on another without the consent of the other. There are Arab women who think that they should walk behind them, Japanese culture has a similar practice. I agree that it can appear demeaning, I just think that your minimizing the burden slaves had to bear, by implying that writing stories that are not nice to the poor little girls in them is somehow slavery.

These, however, are my thoughts and beliefs. So, take them for what they are worth to you.

Originally posted by forbes
                            and before i get a total rashing of shit... i do not claim to be a scholar of anything regarding faith or lack of. i find fault in both of your arguments... which is the reason i question both of you in order to seek out information in forming my own opinions
                            I don't fault ignorance. I'm ignorant on a great many things.

I would like to know the fault you find in my arguments, though. So, please, feel free to put them out there. If I'm wrong, I want to be proven wrong. I want to believe as few falsehoods as possible. So, if my argument is flawed, I need to rethink it.

Comment

Jesus is the Son, you have failed.
                              Fact check much? Again, context is what's important. The verses are

John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

John 1:14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us,(and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father) full of faith and truth.

Both KJV.

So, per your book, the Word was God, and the Word was made flesh, and beheld. Your book disagrees with you, or it contradicts itself. I'll let you pick.

Spake is not visual, you have failed.
                              Face to face is, sorry.

Knew is not visual, you have failed.
                              Again, face to face is.

LOL now get back to work......God's image and likeness in the Bible are not visual.
                              Your book disagrees with you or contradicts itself. In regard to God's image, not me getting back to work.

So what? You can claim to have seen Napoleon, and post that on website. Claims posted on an internet site are not by default true.
                              Using the basis of support you've used for your claims, than accepting the claim as truth is all that is needed, so posting said claims, if I accepted them as truth would be true. Your rules, not mine.

What does your copy/paste of Google links about slavery in the Bible have to do with your lack of knowledge about the Old Testament? BTW your wayward response above includes pastes from the New Testament, further illustrating your lack of knowledge.
                              Not a single Google link copy/pasted, thank you. Although I did have to look up the verse chapters and number in Leviticus. I know that some verses are in the New Testament, as most of the verses are from the Old Testament, it does show that the Old Testament does endorse slavery. I've always found slavery to be abysmally immoral.
                              Last edited by Maddhattter; 07-01-2011, 08:22 PM.

Comment

• Nope, get back to work. Provide names of individuals from the Bible who have seen God, visually. Not individuals who saw Jesus, spake with God, or knew God, but rather individuals who visually perceived the image or likeness of God. You have done nothing thus far but fail, but no surprise there, is there?

As was the case above, you obsession with slavery has nothing to do with your lack of understanding of what the OT is about. Suggest you first focus on simple tasks in order to back up your claims.

Comment

Working...
                                X