No announcement yet.

What makes the bible true

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I believe the Bible is/was a tool for religion for fear and control. It was written by people with the same agenda...control the masses. Of course they would ensure that their additions to the text would fit with the mantra of Christianity.

In my opinion, if you have to rely on faith, then in all likelihood it isn’t true. The fact that parts of the bible are somewhat backed up by some evidence, doesn’t mean the whole of the bible is factual, especially all the supernatural elements of it. There are far too many errors in the bible...and sections for which there is no, or contradictory, evidence for the Bible to be accepted as a factual book.
    Last edited by davbrucas; 05-15-2011, 10:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by racrguy View Post
      Apparently you missed my Star Wars reference.....
      Ummm, Star Wars is barley 30 years old. Try again...
      Photobucket

Comment

Originally posted by Maddhattter View Post
        I have wondered why it was only done once. However, high school history courses, supplemented by college level Great Texts, Comparative Religion, and World History indicate, quite strongly, that it hasn't happened only once.

We have archeological evidence of the mythology of the Greek gods existing as early as the 8th century BCE. Giving at least 800 years of texts to be written, edited and reconciled, and personal experiences of interaction and/or communication with the gods to be had.

All that being said, it is still a logical fallacy to claim the bible proves the bible. It's called circular reasoning. Using the Star Wars reference that Racrguy brought up, it's akin to saying that we know Alderaan existed because millions of people cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. Both are equally fallacious.
        Yet again a good argument, and as davbrucas just pointed out, its all about faith. So I guess we have once again concluded this conversation.
        Photobucket

Comment

I'm down for beers if I have the time, but I'm not going to sit around, drinking beers arguing religion.

1. No one is going to change anyone's mind.
          2. Your mind is -if not made up- leaning heavily to one side.
          3. Personally I could careless what you are, as long as you are a decent individual.
          4. Thinking either way is not supposed to hurt anything.
          Originally posted by MR EDD
          U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

I only talk religion when I want to argue or someone else brings it up. I'll send you a pm when I'll be in the metroplex

Comment

Originally posted by BlackSnake View Post
              I had thought this would be said by Racrguy. At least you offer a great argument. But dont you wonder why it was only done...once? I mean, if it were so easily done, wouldnt we have perhaps hundreds of these "fictional" stories made in this fashion.

Catch up to you guys sometime tomorrow. Good nite.
              I gave you another example of the same exact thing being done. Refuting your argument that it's been done only once. Have anything else to add?

Comment

I gave you another example of the same exact thing being done.
                No you didnt.
                Photobucket

Comment

Let's change gears a bit since you can't grasp where you're failing at this argument. What other evidence do you have in support of the bible?

Comment

Let's change gears a bit since you can't grasp where you're failing at this argument. What other evidence do you have in support of the bible?
                    If evidence existed then faith wouldnt. God is adults' imaginary friend that helps them cope with the stressors of life.

Comment

I cant. Denny was correct and as Dr Dave just stated..."If evidence existed then faith wouldnt."
                      Photobucket

Comment

I cant. Denny was correct and as Dr Dave just stated..."If evidence existed then faith wouldnt."
                        I take it you didnt agree with that 2nd sentence?

Comment

It was a little over 400 years of history in prophecy that happened before hundreds of whitenesses.
                          The irony of the misspelling.

Comment

Originally posted by davbrucas View Post
                            If evidence existed then faith wouldnt. God is adults' imaginary friend that helps them cope with the stressors of life.
                            I agree wholeheartedly
                            So, just to make sure I understand you correctly. You have nothing but faith that proves the bible true. Correct?

Comment

I agree wholeheartedly

So, just to make sure I understand you correctly. You have nothing but faith that proves the bible true. Correct?
                              The point you are trying to make is that you must have faith first, then belief in the bible comes naturally second. Proselytizing Christians often point to the bible to support their faith, sublimely unaware that they are putting the cart before the horse.
                              Men have become the tools of their tools.
                              -Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Originally posted by davbrucas View Post
                                I take it you didnt agree with that 2nd sentence?
                                I believe you already know the answer to that.

Originally posted by Avery'sDad View Post
                                The irony of the misspelling.
                                All the good material in here and thats all you have?

Not Faith alone, but hope also because faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

Faith is believing in what is true. It has two elements.
                                1) being convinced of the truth, being certain of reality, having evidence of unseen things.
                                2) believing, hoping in, embracing, seizing the truth.
                                Photobucket

Comment

Working...
                                X