Why Americans will never “grow up” as long as we have Medicare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Americans will never “grow up” as long as we have Medicare

Beth Haynes writes at Pajamas Media today that Americans need to grow up, and stop thinking we can, in her metaphor, choose and eat cake we haven’t paid for.

Her point is good, as far as it goes. There ain’t no such thing as a free lunch. But as long as we have “Medicare,” we’re going to continue, willy-nilly, to behave as if we think there is one.

It is not possible to do otherwise. When people don’t see their arrangements for medical care as a fee-for-service proposition, but rather as a collective “social insurance” scheme, in which the emotion of the moment will always be the tiebreaker for lawmakers’ decisions about other people’s money, no one has to “grow up.”

How do people “grow up” in the course of normal life? From what does the concept of “growing up” derive?

“Growing up” means assuming responsibility for yourself. It seems absurd to have to point out anything so basic, but then, we’ve been living under a nanny state for quite a while now. Growing up is what you do as you transition from infant to child, from child to adolescent, and from adolescent to adult.

At each step of the way, the transition is marked by your increased ability and willingness to assume responsibility for yourself. At a certain point, you – and you alone – are held accountable for your actions. With that accountability comes an autonomy that almost everyone looks forward to with longing, during his or her teenage years. You can do what you want to do about the big choices in life: what career you choose, where and how you live, whom you marry.

The price of that autonomy is taking care of your own needs. The more responsible you are about that, the less interference there will be from others – family, the civil authorities – in your life.

Before Medicare existed, “medical care” was something you planned for as part of that responsible mode of living. Hard as it is to believe, people paid cash for all their routine check-ups, doctor visits, and prescription drugs. Most in the middle class maintained insurance for what was called “hospitalization,” meaning the need for expensive in-patient care, whether because of an auto or work accident, childbirth, children’s illnesses, or the health problems of the elderly.

That insurance cost far less, as a percentage of income, than today’s health program premiums. Premiums were higher, of course, for older rate-payers and those who were especially likely to make claims, such as young couples in their child-bearing years. For many on the payrolls of large companies, medical insurance – on the “hospitalization” insurance basis – was a benefit provided by employers. (Naturally, your pay was lower by the amount of the monthly premium.) Whether you paid out of pocket or your employer paid, it was smart to enroll in medical insurance early in life, as that meant your premiums – if you stayed with your insurer – would be better when you got past 50.

People were very particular about buying their insurance, because they understood that their choices about it would determine the kind of services they could claim if they needed medical care. The concept of paying some money by the month in order to have unlimited access to medical care did not exist. It was understood that there would be limits on what the insurance company would pay for, just as there are limits with auto and home insurance. Saving money “for a rainy day” was targeted on the kinds of contingencies insurance might not pay for.

But middle-class Americans had much more discretion over their income then. They didn’t fork over everything they earned in the first four months of the year to three or four levels of government. The social contract that was based on being responsible for your own medical needs came with the particular benefit that you kept more of what you earned.

None of this meant that there was no provision for the indigent. States and counties across America maintained publicly funded hospitals and clinics whose purpose was to provide care for those who couldn’t pay. Religious organizations provided medical care for the indigent as well, and in some places their facilities were the first resort. The system wasn’t perfect, by any means, but it reflected the social contract of individual responsibility combined with compassion.

When Medicare came along, it changed all that. Literally, all of it. Medicare divorced medical care from any understanding about prior limits on contractual obligations. It treated medical care not as an element of individual arrangements and responsibility, but as a political issue of collective entitlement.

When experts today point out that a Medicare beneficiary draws from Medicare several times what he paid into it, they are only noting what was supposed to happen. It was the intention of Medicare to ensure that prior contributions and prior arrangements would not limit the care retirees would receive. Of course that’s what it does. That was the whole point.

Beth Haynes urges us to repudiate that idea, and she is right to. But repudiating that idea is repudiating Medicare. If we can be brought to repudiate it, we won’t need “Medicare” at all. Indeed, it will be a hindrance to us. There is no point in turning something over to the government if the basis for claims on it is not to be divorced from what we put into it. Only if it is important to us that medical care be allocated on a political basis, for political purposes, is there a reason to continue Medicare on its current model.

No one has ever argued that today’s seniors should be left to fend for themselves. We’ve had Medicare for nearly 44 years; most who are on it today spent most of their working lives paying into it – money they could have spent differently if it had been left in their pockets. No changes to Medicare should adversely affect their access to care.

But I think one reason it has been so easy to flog the “Mediscare” theme is that at least some people intuitively understand that the Ryan plan may be a step in the right direction, but it doesn’t break firmly enough with the fundamentally unsound basis of Medicare. If you “grow up,” as Ms. Haynes urges Americans to, and accept that what you get out of your medical insurance has to be limited, and has to be tied to what you chose to pay into it – then what do you need a government entitlement program for?

All of these social programs are engineered today to place these less fortunate people in such a position of comfort that anything less makes them fear that life as they know it will end.

This article is spot-on.

Comment

my problem with the ryan plan is that it assumes people have jobs and they they are payed a decent wage. But the reality is we have a real unemployment number around 20% and a cost to live financially secure far exceeds wages for many people.

Comment

Originally posted by Cannonball996 View Post
        my problem with the ryan plan is that it assumes people have jobs and they they are payed a decent wage. But the reality is we have a real unemployment number around 20% and a cost to live financially secure far exceeds wages for many people.
        I'm too lazy to even waste time responding to this, so I will just include a quote from another thread.

Originally posted by 347Mike View Post
        False...

Yes more income helps, but the reason 90% of mid to low income house holds have money problems is not because of their income. It is because they do a piss poor job at managing their current income. The ones who always differ to more money as the problem are wrong. You give them more money and they will have more bills, debt, and other shit they don't need.

It is easy for anyone ot have money, the choice is up to the individual though. What is more important? Do you need that or do you want that? If you have money problems you shouldn't be in the WANT category more than the need.

Comment

Shit! Beat me to it!

Comment

on the contrary anyone who can support their family on minimum wage has to do a good job of managing their money. true anyone in that situation would be on some form of government assistance.

many employers actually help their employees get assistance, take Walmart for example they hire people at minimum wage, and then right away help them get on food stamps. walmart also offers health insurance to their employees, for $22, but encourages them to decline it and actually offers to help them get on medicaid. this saves walmart money, but it puts the tax payers on the hook for their employees.

Comment

Originally posted by Cannonball996 View Post
              on the contrary anyone who can support their family on minimum wage has to do a good job of managing their money. true anyone in that situation would be on some form of government assistance.

many employers actually help their employees get assistance, take Walmart for example they hire people at minimum wage, and then right away help them get on food stamps. walmart also offers health insurance to their employees, for $22, but encourages them to decline it and actually offers to help them get on medicaid. this saves walmart money, but it puts the tax payers on the hook for their employees.
              Keep all the poor-them bullshit to yourself.

“Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.” Thomas Edison

People who aren't willing to work to earn the skills, the knowledge, the opportunities to get paid more than minimum wage deserve minimum wage. SIMPLE AS THAT. There is too much money out there in America for me to feel sorry about anyone for making too little of it, except the mentally retarded or the para/quadriplegics.

(run on sentence warning )
              When all the feel good bullshit is put aside, when it comes down to it, if you can't find the drive in yourself to get out there, to support yourself, to make something of yourself, BY yourself; then you have no value to yourself, your family, or society. You should be shunned and looked down upon as a failure, an example of what not to be, because that is exactly what you are.

I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. In my youth I traveled much, and I observed in different countries, that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer.
              Benjamin Franklin, On the Price of Corn and Management of the Poor, November 1766

Comment

Originally posted by sc281 View Post

“Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.” Thomas Edison

People who aren't willing to work to earn the skills, the knowledge, the opportunities to get paid more than minimum wage deserve minimum wage. SIMPLE AS THAT. There is too much money out there in America for me to feel sorry about anyone for making too little of it, except the mentally retarded or the para/quadriplegics.

When all the feel good bullshit is put aside, when it comes down to it, if you can't find the drive in yourself to get out there, to support yourself, to make something of yourself, BY yourself; then you have no value to yourself, your family, or society. You should be shunned and looked down upon as a failure, an example of what not to be, because that is exactly what you are.

I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. In my youth I traveled much, and I observed in different countries, that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer.
                Benjamin Franklin, On the Price of Corn and Management of the Poor, November 1766

A most excellent post and quote.

Comment

Someone just earned a beer!

Comment

I was going to mention Franklin. How about Christ? "The poor will be with you always." You make the poor miserable so they get out and work and pull themselves up. Generations of LEGAL immigrants worked 3 and 4 jobs and slept barely and had no fun time so their children would succeed. Hell, my mother (grandmother) worked 3 jobs to raise us and my grandfather worked another 2. And now that they're 70? They both are still working
                    I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Originally posted by sc281 View Post

That was just plain awesome.

How many people that make minimum wage have cell phones with data plans, high speed internet, Cable/Satellite, gym memberships, and then want to complain about not having money.

I understand that it must be hard to live off of minimum wage (admittedly I have never had to try to do this post high school) but unless you have cut your budget down to the bare bones I don't think you have any room to complain. Buy what you need, save, and if there is extra buy what you want. If all you are missing is the latter you are doing just fine.
                      Last edited by slow06; 06-06-2011, 08:01 AM.
                      "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
                      -Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by slow06 View Post
                        That was just plain awesome.

How many people that make minimum wage have cell phone bills with data plans, Wireless internet, Cable/Satellite, gym memberships, and then want to complain about not having money.

Now I understand that it must be hard to live off of minimum wage, but unless you have cut your budget down to the bare bones I don't think you have any room to complain. Buy what you need, save, and if there is extra buy what you want. If all you are missing is the latter you are doing just fine.
                        And that is a huge part of the problem. Americans have horrible financial management skills. People that make under $15/HR and have a family can't afford luxuries but the entitlement mentality falsely convinces them that they deserve these items. So money that should be spent on necessities gets misappropriated and leads to the individual seeking out government assistance.

Time and time again I would have employees coming to me and asking me to fill out forms regarding their lack of income so they could receive assistance, yet they would have the means to buy cigarettes, cell phones, lunch everyday, soft drinks, new clothes, booze, drugs, fireworks on holidays, gaming systems for kids, and so on. They were always broke but always had cash on them. They never thought ahead in terms of financial freedom other than to retire in 30-40 years on social security. If you make minimum wage the first plan should be how to exceed that and increase your skills and value to your employer so you earn more. The second plan should be how to start some sort of financial plan that builds a foundation that will be followed as you grow. Either getting another job, finding a career or saving even a little bit. Toss a dollar a day into a savings account and limit spending. If having cable means you have to use food stamps then the reality is that you cannot afford cable.

BUT people are given excuses and contingency plans and they take them and utilize them for absolute gain. Until the minds shift, the abuse will continue.

Comment

Fuck the Poor. It's your choice to be poor, not mine.

Comment

Working...
                          X