X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No license plates needed in Texas!!

http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/36/3656.asp

Texas License Plates Become Optional
    Texas legislature accidentally deletes penalty for failing to display a license plate.

Texas license plateA number of special interest groups have fought over the design of specialty license plates in Texas over the past few weeks. The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People cheered the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) board last month for rejecting a "Sons of Confederate Veterans" plate the group found racially offensive. An American Indian group blasted a plate honoring the Buffalo Soldiers, a regiment of black troops who served in the US Army from the end of the Civil War through 1951. These plate conflicts may turn out to be unnecessary because beginning on January 1, 2012, the use of license plates in the Lone Star State becomes optional.

According to the Texas Department of Public Safety, current law mandates the display of two license plates -- one at the front and another at the rear of a vehicle. Failure to comply is a misdemeanor offense punishable by a $200 fine under Texas Code Section 502.404. As part of a sweeping revision of the state vehicle code, however, that provision will soon disappear.

House Bill 2357 was intended as a non-controversial 234-page update to existing law. It passed the state House on May 29 voted 139-6 and the state Senate 31-0, receiving the signature of Governor Rick Perry (R) on June 17.

"The motor vehicle statutes were codified in 1995, but there has not been a complete reorganization of substance since before that time," Representative Joseph Pickett (D-El Paso) wrote in his justification of the legislation. "This bill directly addresses the problem of the statutes being outdated in regard to automation and organization."

As part of the update, the new law deleted the license plate statute, returning parts of it to Section 502.473 and 504.943. In moving around the legal language, the bill went through the entire legislative process without anybody noticing that a key line was deleted without providing a replacement: "An offense under this section is a misdemeanor punishable by a fine not to exceed $200."

Without the line, it is not clear whether police officers or courts would have the authority to impose a punishment on drivers who chose not to display license plates or registration stickers, especially in jurisdictions that still use red light cameras. Driving with a false or altered plate remains a misdemeanor, however. Lawmakers will not have a chance to remedy their mistake until January 8, 2013 when the legislature reconvenes, unless Governor Perry calls a special session specifically to address the license plate issue.
    I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Whoa, cool post
    Originally posted by Buzzo
    Some dudes jump out of airplanes, I fuck hookers without condoms.

sigpic

Comment

Yeah that will never last.

Comment

rewrite without front plates!

Comment

So when does this take effect?

One other thought is that, should they be called back to remedy this oversight, we finally have a definitive answer as to whether or not they view it as a revenue stream...
          www.allforoneroofing.com

Comment

nice!

Comment

Originally posted by mikec View Post
              So when does this take effect?

One other thought is that, should they be called back to remedy this oversight, we finally have a definitive answer as to whether or not they view it as a revenue stream...
              Article says Jan. 1, 2012.
              "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

Damn, I missed that. Thanks.
                www.allforoneroofing.com

Comment

I'm all for not having front plates, but I don't like this one bit.

I'm betting we will have a special session based off of criminal activity well before anyone acknowledges the loss of revenue.

For instance: You want to steal a car next year? Go right ahead, just take off the plates so officers can't run it. It will really help if you're a minority as any stop could be considered racial profiling.

You want to run drugs across the border from Mexico? Sure, just remove your plates so officers won't know it's an out of country vehicle with a history of criminal activity in the states.

Comment

Originally posted by Muffrazr View Post
                    I'm all for not having front plates, but I don't like this one bit.

I'm betting we will have a special session based off of criminal activity well before anyone acknowledges the loss of revenue.

For instance: You want to steal a car next year? Go right ahead, just take off the plates so officers can't run it. It will really help if you're a minority as any stop could be considered racial profiling.

You want to run drugs across the border from Mexico? Sure, just remove your plates so officers won't know it's an out of country vehicle with a history of criminal activity in the states.
                    Your logic doesn't make sense to me. You're FOR no front plates, but you argue everything pro-front plate people make.

Comment

Now is the best time to contact State Reps and Senators and ask them to leave the front plate off...

Comment

Originally posted by GhostTX View Post
                        Your logic doesn't make sense to me. You're FOR no front plates, but you argue everything pro-front plate people make.
                        A rear plate would do everything he is talking about so those would be pretty dumb reasons to argue for front plates...
                        "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
                        -Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by GhostTX View Post
                          Rear plates allow officers to run info.
                          How would an officer run info when there aren't any plates?

Two plates are on one extreme. No plates are the exact opposite extreme.
                          Call me middle ground if you need to. Sounds very logical to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
                            Now is the best time to contact State Reps and Senators and ask them to leave the front plate off...
                            Funny, as Texas 82(R) HB 1068 was to repeal it and they voted it down.

Yet, here we are with this omission. We'll see in 2013 if they put the penalty back on the books. I doubt they'll call a special session for this.

Comment

Originally posted by Muffrazr View Post
                              Rear plates allow officers to run info.
                              How would an officer run info when there aren't any plates?

Two plates are on one extreme. No plates are the exact opposite extreme.
                              Call me middle ground if you need to. Sounds very logical to me.
                              Ah, so you're inferring that the "omission" removes the penalty in either case, front and rear. So people could drive cars without any license plates. I didn't think about that aspect.

Comment

Working...
                              X