No announcement yet.

No license plates needed in Texas!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, did some more digging, and it seems that since we are talking Chapter 502 and the penalty I found was Chapter 520, I went looking for a similar statue that would cover Ch. 502.

Found it:

SUBCHAPTER H. OFFENSES AND PENALTIES
    Sec. 502.401. GENERAL PENALTY.
    (a) A person commits an offense if the person violates a provision of this chapter and no other penalty is prescribed for the violation.
    (b) This section does not apply to a violation of Section 502.003, 502.101, 502.109, 502.112, 502.113, 502.114, 502.152, 502.164, or 502.282.
    (c) An offense under this section is a misdemeanor punishable by a fine not to exceed $200.
    Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995.

The quote in the OP's original post covers 502.473 which is excluded from the above exemptions.

Comment

So you think we should all have to have front license plates?

Comment

Originally posted by StanleyJustinTaliwhacker95 View Post
        So you think we should all have to have front license plates?

Comment

I ran a front plate on my vette. The only reason is because I am a LEO. I don't see the point in them, honestly. New Mexico doesn't require them and we have a ton of New Mexico cars here in Lubbock. I will say it makes it a heck of a lot easier to see tag when meeting the car head on. That is the ONLY reason I see having them. But, I could live without them and still do my job.
          2007 Chevy TBSS

Comment

Bad Idea... Now all the Mexicans can run around without license plates. No no no....

Also cops wont know if the car they are pulling over for a light out can be a fucking criminal on the run, or a stolen car. I don't like this shit one bit. Front license plates not needed is ok. but you need some sort of identification whilst on the road.
            First hand witness at the failure of public healthcare.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Fiux View Post
              Bad Idea... Now all the Mexicans can run around without license plates. No no no....

Also cops wont know if the car they are pulling over for a light out can be a fucking criminal on the run, or a stolen car. I don't like this shit one bit. Front license plates not needed is ok. but you need some sort of identification whilst on the road.

What did you just say? You think we need to keep the plates, then you think it's ok to not have them?
              www.allforoneroofing.com

Comment

Originally posted by 03trubluGT View Post
                Yeah, didn't think I'd ever meet a cop that was for deregulation/more personal freedoms and liberties.

It occurs to me that the bad guys have a strong tendency, to run AWAY rather than towards the cops.

Comment

Originally posted by StanleyJustinTaliwhacker95 View Post
                  Yeah, didn't think I'd ever meet a cop that was for deregulation/more personal freedoms and liberties.

It occurs to me that the bad guys have a strong tendency, to run AWAY rather than towards the cops.
                  You have such an idiotic acute view of this.

Who said that every use of the plate was of offenders attempting to escape?

Comment

You really wanna talk all the rest of 'em? lol

I don't think its going to help your case. Besides, its not like its really enforced anyway. Roughly 4 years ago I got pulled over 3 times in one month for not having a front plate. A "warning" each time. Like others said, I don't run front plates, never will. Eh, well I take that back. A couple of vehicles that I have really wouldn't look right without them in my opinion. But a couple others look like shit, so I don't run them on them, and never will.
                    Last edited by SMEGMA STENCH; 12-13-2011, 08:51 AM.

Comment

So yeah Im bringing this back to the top. Was watching Fox 4 news last night and they were talking to DPD or Sheriffs office (I cant remember) but they said they will continue to pull people over and observe LAST YEARS law and let the courts figure it out.

Is it just me or is that complete bullshit, no matter how petty it is. Sounds like harrasment. If I get pulled over for texting in Arlington can I just say I was observing last years law?

They were also talking to a defense lawyer who said they didnt have a leg to stand on. The law was clearly struck out.

Comment

Oh here is the story I saw, it was Dallas Sherrifs dept.

Dallas news, headlines, weather, sports and traffic from KDFW FOX 4 News, serving Dallas-Fort Worth, North Texas and the state of Texas.

"Pertiz said officers will likely continue to issue tickets based on the original law and let the courts worry about it. "

Comment

I think I would go with Matt on this one. Unless you like tickets, I bet with the attention this law has been given Cops are going to be paying more attention to it just for grins.

Comment

I saw that last night too Lason. I have front plates on all of my cars so I don't care either way but I did think it was BS that the cop said they would let the courts figure it out....

if it isn't a law this year they should be able to write tickets for it period. I'd also like to see what Matt has to saw about it now that its in effect. I'm sure his dept has had conversations about it with the LEO's
                            1969 GTO Judge Clone 6.0 liter LQ4 Turbo 4L60e on LS1tech

1960 Chevy Sedan Delivery LS swap

Comment

I got pulled over for it this past Sunday. Cop was a detective that admitted he was cruising gas statons for no front plate. I didn't steal the car so I didn't have anything to worry about. He really didn't even tell me to fix it, lol.
                              When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Originally posted by Lason View Post
                                So yeah Im bringing this back to the top. Was watching Fox 4 news last night and they were talking to DPD or Sheriffs office (I cant remember) but they said they will continue to pull people over and observe LAST YEARS law and let the courts figure it out.

Is it just me or is that complete bullshit, no matter how petty it is. Sounds like harrasment. If I get pulled over for texting in Arlington can I just say I was observing last years law?

They were also talking to a defense lawyer who said they didnt have a leg to stand on. The law was clearly struck out.
                                Why stop at last year? Why not go all the way back to when you were born. "I was born into these laws, they are what I will follow!"

Whoever said that to the media is an idiot. People pay for the court system. So by slowing them down it costs everyone more money. People also have to work. You normally have to miss work when you go to court! Sounds like the Dallas area officers are against having the economy come back.

Comment

Working...
                                X