National cell phone ban

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BERNIE MOSFET View Post
    How do safety regulations stop collisions from happening?

And your quote was in response to this:
    ABS/ASR/suspension/tires/etc... All that is a factor in today's cars and collisions compared to the cars of 1990. Cars from 2009 basically drive themselves compared to a jalopy built in 1990. There is also a statistic that higher speed limits do not cause as many accidents. Is that too from people, who trhough the evolutionary process, have become better drivers? Fuck no. It's because cars have become safer.

Comment

• Originally posted by SS Junk View Post
      I agree on most of those things, however based on my own research while riding past every single moron who has created a hazard for myself and/or others they've been paying attention to a cell phone. Everything you listed, except of the GPS is not interactive. While it may cause a distraction, nothing is more obvious of a distraction than trying to type out a conversation.
      I'd say they are all interactive. You're doing two things at once, and all require you to take off your eyes off the road. Sure, texting requires more of that. I'm not advocating texting while driving though. I can do it, but I try not to make a habit of it, and I completely understand that most drivers just suck, and texting only makes them worse. It's not the case for all drivers though, and it's my right to choose.
      Originally posted by BradM
      But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
      Originally posted by Leah
      In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

• Originally posted by SS Junk View Post
        ABS/ASR/suspension/tires/etc... All that is a factor in today's cars and collisions compared to the cars of 1990. Cars from 2009 basically drive themselves compared to a jalopy built in 1990. There is also a statistic that higher speed limits do not cause as many accidents. Is that too from people, who trhough the evolutionary process, have become better drivers? Fuck no. It's because cars have become safer.
        Ok, I didn't think about preventing collisions in the first place, and that will definitely deflate crash numbers.

But of the crashes reported, 3% (867 people) of fatal crashes in 2009 reportedly involved cell phone usage - not necessarily the only causal factor, mind you. More people drowned, and if this is about safety then swimming pools have GOT to go.

If we're concerned with property damage, why stop at mobile phone usage, why not criminalize all of this:
        Looking at other occupants, dialing or hanging up a phone, adjusting phone controls, or attempting to retrieve voicemail messages, Adjusting radio/CD controls, Adjusting other vehicle controls: heat, vent, air conditioning and other OEM or aftermarket controls, Retrieving object from floor, Eating or drinking, Smoking, Reading Map/directions/newspaper, focusing on other object in vehicle, Text messaging, Conversing With passengers, Conversing On phone, Conversing On CB radio: Looking at previous crashes, Looking at other traffic, Looking for a physical address, Looking at an outside person, Looking at any building, Looking at animals, Thinking About: Personal problems, Family problems, Financial problems, Preceding arguments, Future events, or just being inattentive.
        Men have become the tools of their tools.
        -Henry David Thoreau

Comment

• "Government has gone beyond its limits when it decides to protect us from ourselves." -Ronald Reagan
          "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
          "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

• Originally posted by bcoop View Post
            Like red light cameras? Whoops, there went your argument.
            Here is my take on red light cameras not to derail this thread. Also we have none in our city even though we were close.

I have worked many a red light accident and they are some of the worst accidents you will see. Usually some dickwad that thinks his time is more important then someone elses hammers down the throttle as some poor guy cruising along the other direction gets clocked broadside at about 60 mph. I hate red light runners with a passion. However I do NOT agree with the way they use them to a degree.

If the timing sequence is not changed and you flat run a red light then screw you, you should pay the fine. I cannot believe people do not agree with this since it does not affect anything but your wallet.

Now when they adjust the damn timing of the lights and the yellows are suddenly shorter then screw them that is a money grab. Also I do not agree with the right on red tickets, they are complete bullshit. They nab a lot of people for rolling up and making a turn. Most people turning right are paying attention and look both ways, not just a flat out run the light FU type of deal. Oh and just FYI police in police cars pay these tickets. No exceptions to the rule here, you run it you pay it.

Cell phone laws and red light cameras are two way different topics. There is nothing so damn important that anyone needs to text or talk about that is important enough to take someones life or to get you injured.
            Whos your Daddy?

Comment

• Originally posted by kingjason View Post

Cell phone laws and red light cameras are two way different topics. There is nothing so damn important that anyone needs to text or talk about that is important enough to take someones life or to get you injured.
              They really aren't that different, and you missed the entire point. Red light cameras were instituted in the name of safety. SEVERAL studies show that red light accidents have increased, not decreased, since the implementation of red light cameras. Nobody wants to get a ticket, so they slam on the brakes unexpectedly causing a great deal more accidents than previously. Someone made the point that they wonder how many more accidents will happen web people start swerving over and slamming on the brakes as to not miss that call. I agree, and I made the same statement about red light cameras causing more accidents than they save way back when they were first rolled out. And what do you know, I was right...

The shortening of yellow light times and revenue generation that has come from it, while sickening, has no bearing on the point I'm making. I'm not advocating running red lights. I'm making a comparison, that you're missing. Additionally, everyone lied trough their teeth about those cameras being about public safety. Not even a year ago, the City of Dallas announced plans to remove all thru cameras in their city. Their reasoning? They didn't generate enough revenue to justify the expense. I thought it was all about safety. Right? What happened there? The same thing is going to happen if this ban passes, when they figure out this is going to be too hard to enforce. It's going to dig in to the time spent catching real criminals. L o l

Comment

• Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                They really aren't that different, and you missed the entire point. Red light cameras were instituted in the name of safety. SEVERAL studies show that red light accidents have increased, not decreased, since the implementation of red light cameras. Nobody wants to get a ticket, so they slam on the brakes unexpectedly causing a great deal more accidents than previously. Someone made the point that they wonder how many more accidents will happen web people start swerving over and slamming on the brakes as to not miss that call. I agree, and I made the same statement about red light cameras causing more accidents than they save way back when they were first rolled out. And what do you know, I was right...

The shortening of yellow light times and revenue generation that has come from it, while sickening, has no bearing on the point I'm making. I'm not advocating running red lights. I'm making a comparison, that you're missing. Additionally, everyone lied trough their teeth about those cameras being about public safety. Not even a year ago, the City of Dallas announced plans to remove all thru cameras in their city. Their reasoning? They didn't generate enough revenue to justify the expense. I thought it was all about safety. Right? What happened there? The same thing is going to happen if this ban passes, when they figure out this is going to be too hard to enforce. It's going to dig in to the time spent catching real criminals. L o l
                Ahhhh. Now how do you know said burglar wont be calling his BFF talking about this sweet flat screen he just picked up and needs to unload. Saftey and pc for a good stop. You sir have no vision.
                Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Usually some dickwad that thinks his time is more important then someone elses hammers down the throttle as some poor guy cruising along the other direction gets clocked broadside at about 60 mph. I hate red light runners with a passion.
                  If you really think redlight cameras will alter the behavior of some asshat like in your description, you really need to get into a new line of work.

Stevo
                  Originally posted by SSMAN
                  ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

• Originally posted by stevo View Post
                    If you really think redlight cameras will alter the behavior of some asshat like in your description, you really need to get into a new line of work.

Stevo
                    It just may after getting a few of them. I know you can not change some people but you never know.
                    Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Ahhhh. Now how do you know said burglar wont be calling his BFF talking about this sweet flat screen he just picked up and needs to unload. Saftey and pc for a good stop. You sir have no vision.
                      Funny, but you get my point now, yes?

Comment

• Originally posted by Cooter View Post
                        driving out texting?

Ahhh dammit. I can't even insult The King. I give up all my internets.

Comment

• Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
                          Alcohol impairs your ability to judge right from wrong, using a cell phone doesn't. We've been through this discussion in the previous thread if you want me to link you.
                          That has to be one of the dumbest post I have seen.

Comment

• Originally posted by sig239 View Post
                            That has to be one of the dumbest post I have seen.

Funnty thing about that is that this discussion is about the impairing of your ability, not the results of not paying attention to what's happening around you and the results thereof.

Two entirely different things, not that you would be able to pick up on that...
                            www.allforoneroofing.com

Comment

• Originally posted by mikec View Post
                              Funnty thing about that is that this discussion is about the impairing of your ability, not the results of not paying attention to what's happening around you and the results thereof.

Two entirely different things, not that you would be able to pick up on that...
                              Sounds like you have a boy crush on him? Any thing you boys hiding?

Comment

• Originally posted by sig239 View Post
                                Sounds like you have a boy crush on him? Any thing you boys hiding?
                                Your avatar is very fitting.

Comment

Working...
                                X