National cell phone ban

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dave View Post
    trolololol lololololol lolololol!!!!111!!

I started the thread, you entered. Now I'm the troll? ok.

Sorry I made you think, does it hurt?

Out of curiosity, how old are you?
    www.allforoneroofing.com

Comment

Not stop altogether, but it's a deterrence.
      It's behavioral legislation. It's as much a deterrent as there are cops out to enforce it.

Think of it another way: traffic citations and associated fines aren't about deterrence, it's about paying a voluntary tax for being a higher risk driver. The cities, after all, have to clean people and their wrecks up off the streets all the time and that costs money. It's easier to nickel and dime everyone for minor infractions (we all get caught at some point) rather than heap all of the burden on the person who caused a collision due to their negligence.

I suppose if you want real deterrence, make certain causal factors nullify insurance coverage for collisions, like driving while intoxicated, or texting if you like. Or have the city send bills for cleanup. That's legislating culpability, and it's probably cheaper and easier to go after tens of thousands of large fines rather than millions of little ones.
      Men have become the tools of their tools.
      -Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Originally posted by BERNIE MOSFET View Post
        I suppose if you want real deterrence, make certain causal factors nullify insurance coverage for collisions, like driving while intoxicated, or texting if you like. Or have the city send bills for cleanup. That's legislating culpability, and it's probably cheaper and easier to go after tens of thousands of large fines rather than millions of little ones.
        Then the city would have to fight insurance companies and lenders. Those two places have legal representation and as we all know, it is all about taking the path of least resistance when it comes to government.
        Originally posted by racrguy
        What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
        Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Meanwhile, traffic fatalities fall to their lowest levels since 1949.

Data released by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration indicated that road fatalities had eclined to historic levels, though officials warned that deaths related to driver distraction were poised to rise.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
            Not near as much as reading your crybaby shit about evil people on cell phones.
            boohoo. Go check your facebook then. Damn.

Originally posted by BERNIE MOSFET View Post
            Now this I like.

Comment

boohoo. Go check your facebook then. Damn.
              No one here is crying except for you. It was a real tear jerker when you started talking about riding a motorcycle and almost getting run over. It had great visuals, like a tampon commercial.
              What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
              Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
                Meanwhile, traffic fatalities fall to their lowest levels since 1949.

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2011...el-since-1949/
                And from that article......

The agency also unveiled a new classification for crashes that resulted from driver distraction, part of a larger effort by the agency to refine its data collection to better reflect the circumstances that led to a crash. Last year, driver distraction caused 3,092 roadway fatalities, the agency said.

“All of our evidence suggests that the problem may be getting worse,” Secretary LaHood wrote on his blog, Fast Lane, on Thursday.

People should gear up for a fight on both sides of this because i guarantee you attempts at passing legislation are coming.

Comment

There is no power for this.
                  I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Then the city would have to fight insurance companies and lenders. Those two places have legal representation and as we all know, it is all about taking the path of least resistance when it comes to government.
                    I should have said maybe it's cheaper and easier... And I'm making a contradictory argument to one in the paragraph before, too. doh.

I would like to think insurance companies would be happy to wash their hands of any liability. The consequence I could see is them automatically denying every claim and putting it on the driver to prove it was an accident and not gross negligence. Who does the investigating - the city?

If they decline coverage, wouldn't lenders go after the individual for the cost of the vehicle, whereas the city would go after the cost of cleanup and investigating the accident?
                    Men have become the tools of their tools.
                    -Henry David Thoreau

Comment

No one here is crying except for you. It was a real tear jerker when you started talking about riding a motorcycle and almost getting run over. It had great visuals, like a tampon commercial.
                      lol. You watch tampon commercials?

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
                        There is no power for this.
                        You say this a lot. But it's certainly not stopping big brother. Let it go, or do something about it
                        Originally posted by BradM
                        But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                        Originally posted by Leah
                        In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by Cooter View Post
                          first of all, no fucking way anything like this passes on a national level...

but if they do, they're going to have to ban car stereos, navigation units, driver is going to have to be in sealed cockpit away from other passengers so that they can't converse with each other, babies have to ride in the trunk, etc... police officers won't be allowed radios, phones, or laptops...

fucking ridiculous
                          thats what they said about the 55 MPH back in the 70s. Talk about cutting highway funding and watch how fast it gets through.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                            I conduct business on a cell phone, from my car 12+ hours a day. It's not that I'm important. But what I do keeps businesses up and running and generating revenue all over the state, country, etc. I'd say that's pretty important. I can't do my job from behind a desk.
                            Pat your self on the back much?
                            waawaaa I drive a 80,000 truck around town all day guess you don't mind if I talk on the phone while your in front of me? Dam I didn't know our whole economy depend on you selling a oven.
                            As some one who sees the stupity out there I hope it does get through.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                              You say this a lot. But it's certainly not stopping big brother. Let it go, or do something about it
                              I do stuff about it. Not only do I write and call my congressmen, I also have gone to DC and talked to them face to face. What have YOU done about the encroachment of the federal government into our private lives and it's violation of the Constitution?
                              I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
                                I do stuff about it. Not only do I write and call my congressmen, I also have gone to DC and talked to them face to face. What have YOU done about the encroachment of the federal government into our private lives and it's violation of the Constitution?
                                You going up there and talking to already elected people who have already formed an opinion of the subject and won't change their minds is pointless. The best thing to do is to find a campaigning legislator that is closest to your ideals and talk to them and tell them what you require of them to garner your vote. So in actuality, if you both voted in the last election, you've done the same amount of work. Obviously your talks to them face to face have done absolutely nothing. Case in point: Defense Authorization Act of 2012.

But I digress. These cell phone laws are horseshit and just another way to grab money/power. There are already laws on the books that prohibit you from being a shitty driver, why do we need this one?

Comment

Working...
                                X