Christians, I have a question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pur Vnm View Post
    OK Mister Ermey, I call BULL----. I'd like to see your transcripts!

The only way for you to "study" 10+ years of the Bible, without believing in God, is to go into it trying to disprove God, in which case you went into it with a "Hardened Heart". In that case, you wasted 10+ years of your life, and no one would be that stupid.
    It is possible for people to pull their heads out of their asses and deconvert.

Comment

You just defined free will. Good job, you're learning.

Comment

Dave, this has already happened here because i have seen it on TV. the aliens are these hot chick aliens and offer guys bud light to get on their space ships and fuck them.

i say that's a pretty religious experience right there.
        95 Rio Red Cobra#3881

http://www.bborr.com/2013/2013results.html#115

Comment

Originally posted by The King View Post
          Since the level of scientific achievement of these hypothetical aliens would have advanced far beyond our own, given among other things that they have mastered intergalactic travel, I would ask them if their science had yet discovered how nothing created something out of nothing.
          You'd have to ask Davbrucus. He probly knows.

Comment

Originally posted by StanleyTweedle View Post
            You'd have to ask Davbrucus. He probly knows.
            That's what's funny. Christians keep claiming that science is wrong because something can't be made from nothing. However, they say that their god is eternal. If God can be eternal, why can't the universe be eternal?
            "Any dog under 50lbs is a cat and cats are pointless." - Ron Swanson

Comment

So you have to acknowledge that in the end, neither side really knows anything. About how the actual creation itself came about. Religion would claim something was made from nothing, as would science. Just because both don't know what actually happened.

Comment

Originally posted by StanleyTweedle View Post
                So you have to acknowledge that in the end, neither side really knows anything. About how the actual creation itself came about. Religion would claim something was made from nothing, as would science. Just because both don't know what actually happened.
                True. The only difference is that one side is trying to figure out what actually happened for themselves and will correct themselves if something they said is proven wrong, and another side made up a story and stuck with it regardless of lack of evidence to support the theory.

Comment

Originally posted by jdgregory84 View Post
                  True. The only difference is that one side is trying to figure out what actually happened for themselves and will correct themselves if something they said is proven wrong, and another side made up a story and stuck with it regardless of lack of evidence to support the theory.
                  Isn't the real problem people minding their own damned business? If the bible thumpers minded their own business instead of trying to recruit new people for tithing - that would help.

If the non-believers would just not believe and be quiet and not believe, that would help also.

Once we're worm turds or whatever, we can continue the argument.
                  Originally posted by MR EDD
                  U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
                    Isn't the real problem people minding their own damned business? If the bible thumpers minded their own business instead of trying to recruit new people for tithing - that would help.

If the non-believers would just not believe and be quiet and not believe, that would help also.

So be it.
                    ./ ____ _ _\.
                    (]]]_ o _[[[)
                    \o_FORD_o/
                    |__|.....|__|

God closes doors no man can open, God opens doors no man can close. Revelations 3:7-8

Comment

Originally posted by RuStYpNuS View Post
                      bottom line......if everyone lived their lives the way the bible says that Jesus did then the world would be a much better place......

isnt that what really matters??
                      Clear and concise, yes.

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post

I think you are pretty close here.

Arguing, throwing around bible verses, condemning, I think that is what really causes the problem. If that is "recruiting" in your mind I agree wholeheartedly, it needs to stop. (On the tithing note - I struggle with that a lot, wondering if it is just a scheme to make money)

I think Christians can and should "recruit", just not that way. My hope is that by simply showing others the grace I believe God has shown me he will change the hearts of others. I don't think I have to win any argument, utter a single verse or word of scripture, or tell anybody what they are doing wrong.

If Christians "recruited" like this would there really be any problem?

I think non-believers have trouble being quiet about not believing because Christians can be so loud about pointing out their faults. If Christians just loved people I don't think non-believers would feel the need to argue with them or defend themselves against them.
                        Last edited by slow06; 03-21-2011, 10:39 AM.
                        "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
                        -Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by slow06 View Post
                          I think you are pretty close here.

Arguing, throwing around bible verses, condemning, I think that is what really causes the problem. If that is "recruiting" in your mind I agree wholeheartedly, it needs to stop. (On the tithing note - I struggle with that a lot, wondering if it is just a scheme to make money)

I think Christians can and should "recruit", just not that way. My hope is that by simply showing others the grace I believe God has shown me he will change the hearts of others. I don't think I have to win any argument, utter a single verse or word of scripture, or tell anybody what they are doing wrong.

If Christians "recruited" like this would there really be any problem?

I think non-believers have trouble being quiet about not believing because Christians can be so loud about pointing out their faults. If Christians just loved people I don't think non-believers would feel the need to argue with them or defend themselves against them.
                          Tithing is income for the church. It costs money to build and maintain a church. Pastors aren't exactly making minimum wage either. While religious people disagree, organized religion is a business...a very profitable one. Look at mormons, I think they're required to give 20% of their income to their church. I knew a couple of mormons that between him and his wife were giving $2,000+ a month to their church.

Comment

Tithing is income for the church. It costs money to build and maintain a church. Pastors aren't exactly making minimum wage either. While religious people disagree, organized religion is a business...a very profitable one. Look at mormons, I think they're required to give 20% of their income to their church. I knew a couple of mormons that between him and his wife were giving $2,000+ a month to their church.
                            No one is required to give anything or any part of their income to any Christian church. If someone does, they do so of their own free will.

Comment

Originally posted by The King View Post
                              No one is required to give anything or any part of their income to any Christian church. If someone does, they do so of their own free will.
                              What happens if nobody gives though? ...and be honest. The church closes or at least goes to shit. I grew up going to a baptist church so I know it's not required in a Baptist church, but I also know that it's pressured upon it's members by other members and the general feeling of guilt that one gets when they pass by any charity and don't donate.

Comment

What happens if nobody gives though? ...and be honest. The church closes or at least goes to shit. I grew up going to a baptist church so I know it's not required in a Baptist church, but I also know that it's pressured upon it's members by other members and the general feeling of guilt that one gets when they pass by any charity and don't donate.
                                I've gone to all kinds of churches, you know they expect you to give "if you can."

What the means, is they know who can't and who can and if you can and don't you get those looks.

Understand, I'm all for churches when they are what they are supposed to be and I often seen them doing great things.

However, from a practical point of view - I can't agree with some of the hidden political/personal messages. Especially the somewhat anti-military feel I got at one or two.

lol, I remember one time I was in Bosnia as a contractor. (back on vacation) The Pastor at one church asked..."Oh! So you're a peace keeper?" Me: "Nope, just a civilian helping the Army do their thing." Pastor: (Slight look of conern) "Oh." Me: (Look of WHAT THE HECK IS THAT ALL ABOUT?) Wife: "Soooo....."
                                Originally posted by MR EDD
                                U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Working...
                                X