Gun Registry proven a failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gun Registry proven a failure

John R. Lott and Gary Mauser report on a national gun registry experiment in Canada in which the government has finally admitted total failure after blowing $2.7 billion:

Despite spending a whopping $2.7 billion on creating and running a long-gun registry, Canadians never reaped any benefits from the project. The legislation to end the program finally passed the Parliament on Wednesday. Even though the country started registering long guns in 1998, the registry never solved a single murder. Instead it has been an enormous waste of police officers’ time, diverting their efforts from patrolling Canadian streets and doing traditional policing activities. . . .

The statistics are revealing: out of 4,257 homicides from 2003 to 2009, 1,314 were carried out with firearms. In fewer than 10 percent of these cases was the gun even registered, and in only 62 of these registered instances was the gun actually registered to the person committing the crime. Lott and Mauser comment,

To repeat, during these seven years, there were only 62 cases — nine a year — where it was even conceivable that registration made a difference.

Most importantly, they add,

But apparently, the registry was not important even in those cases. The Royal Canadian Mounted Police and the Chiefs of Police have not yet provided a single example in which tracing was of more than peripheral importance in solving a case.

The authors get it wrong, however, when it comes to solutions:

The problem isn’t just that the $2.7 billion spent on registration over 17 years has produced no arrests, it is that the money could have been used to put more police on the street or pay for more health care or cut taxes. An extra $160 million a year pays for a lot of police or doctors or teachers.

Or, you could stop the spending altogether and shrink the size and scope of the State. One reason governments grow tyrannical and eventually push for greater gun control is that we keep feeding the State and demanding more social problems to be solved by it. Gun rights exist by definition as a last-resort defense against tyranny—and thus gun rights represent the preservation of a small State that fears the citizenry and honors individual rights. You negate this very principle when you demand more State-funded police and social services.

The Welfare and Warfare States are two sides of the same coin. Until conservatives understand this and discipline themselves accordingly, gun control advocates will always have ready access to the very infrastructure they need to advance their agenda: a strong police force, a strong agency of propaganda (“education”), and a strong facade of its necessary existence (benefits like education, health care, safety, etc.). The goal is to minimize the programs permanently and not use the money for something else. Use the money to pay down debts and restore freedom once again.
    "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

surprise surprise

Comment

Originally posted by onemeangixxer7502 View Post
      surprise surprise
      It may not seem like a big deal, but this is an enormous step for gun rights worldwide. Sure, there are a quite a few countries that will always be hell for gun rights, but there are plenty which have borderline decent laws and reports from national legislatures such as this could really drive home the reality they are facing. The Philippines, for example, has relaxed their gun laws over the past 20 or so years to an excellent level; you can go into a gun shop and after getting your license (much like a CHL here) you can buy a full auto rifle for a little more than the semis cost. They realized long ago that their gun bans did not work at all and they were better off with armed citizens. Canada is heading that way, as are other countries though the move is slow. Look at all the ground we have gained in the US in the last 20 years in concealed carry alone. These laws should never have existed in the first place, but at least in some parts of the world big government is finally starting to admit some of their failures.
      I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

Originally posted by LANTIRN View Post
        It may not seem like a big deal, but this is an enormous step for gun rights worldwide. Sure, there are a quite a few countries that will always be hell for gun rights, but there are plenty which have borderline decent laws and reports from national legislatures such as this could really drive home the reality they are facing. The Philippines, for example, has relaxed their gun laws over the past 20 or so years to an excellent level; you can go into a gun shop and after getting your license (much like a CHL here) you can buy a full auto rifle for a little more than the semis cost. They realized long ago that their gun bans did not work at all and they were better off with armed citizens. Canada is heading that way, as are other countries though the move is slow. Look at all the ground we have gained in the US in the last 20 years in concealed carry alone. These laws should never have existed in the first place, but at least in some parts of the world big government is finally starting to admit some of their failures.
        I knew it was a big waste but I highly doubt they will ever repeal the nfa or reopen the registry off full auto weapons here. Pretty cool to say its a waste of time and resource.

Comment

Good post Lantirn.

And I particularly like the last two paragraphs.
          www.allforoneroofing.com

Comment

America needs to take some notes from Canada! That goverment has their shit together. But again! They are Lean & Mean with their goverment & get rid of things in their country they dont work IE Like Gun Registry
            GOD BLESS TEXAS
            August Landscaping
            214-779-7278
            Seb's high class.
            He'll mow your grass.
            He'll kick your ass.
            And while his kidney stones pass,
            He'll piss in a glass!

Comment

Originally posted by SEB View Post
              America needs to take some notes from Canada! That goverment has their shit together. But again! They are Lean & Mean with their goverment & get rid of things in their country they dont work IE Like Gun Registry
              Yet they have obamacare?
              www.allforoneroofing.com

Comment

Originally posted by mikec View Post
                Yet they have obamacare?
                "Harpercare"

Comment

Pretty cool stuff. I remember how pissed off the Canadians were about the registry when that all started up.

Originally posted by onemeangixxer7502 View Post
                  I knew it was a big waste but I highly doubt they will ever repeal the nfa or reopen the registry off full auto weapons here. Pretty cool to say its a waste of time and resource.
                  I don't think they will either, but they may allow another machine gun amnesty someday (they owe us another 60 days). Also, I think it may be possible to get things like rimfire suppressors deregulated if someone would draft a bill. There really is no good reason for regulating a 22lr can the same as a beltfed fifty caliber machine gun.
                  Originally posted by lincolnboy
                  After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

Canada has murders?
                    Ded

Comment

Originally posted by DOHCTR View Post
                      There really is no good reason for regulating a 22lr can the same as a beltfed fifty caliber machine gun.
                      Because kids could buy them at gun shows and use them to kill cops! or something equally stupid

Comment

Hell isn't it Massachusetts that has the firearm ballistic fingerprinting system that's cost the state millions and never helped solve a crime?

Sent from my iPhone
                        2004 Suzuki DL650
                        1996 Hy-Tek Hurricane 103

Comment

Originally posted by Shorty View Post
                          Because kids could buy them at gun shows and use them to kill cops! or something equally stupid

I love white text!
                          www.allforoneroofing.com

Comment

Originally posted by Downs View Post
                            Hell isn't it Massachusetts that has the firearm ballistic fingerprinting system that's cost the state millions and never helped solve a crime?

Sent from my iPhone
                            DID have.

Comment

In before the cops who think its a good thing.

Comment

Working...
                              X