Russian troops in Syria

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russian troops in Syria

After opposing the US, and saying last week that they have no interest in do it themselves.

A Russian military unit has arrived in Syria, according to Russian news reports, a development that a United Nations Security Council source told ABC News was "a bomb" certain to have serious repercussions.

Russia, one of President Bashar al-Assad's strongest allies despite international condemnation of the government's violent crackdown on the country's uprising, has repeatedly blocked the United Nations Security Council's attempts to halt the violence, accusing the U.S. and its allies of trying to start another war.

Now the Russian Black Sea fleet's Iman tanker has arrived in the Syrian port of Tartus on the Mediterranean Sea with an anti-terror squad from the Russian Marines aboard according to the Interfax news agency. The Assad government has insisted it is fighting a terrorist insurgency.

The Iman replaced another Russian ship "which had been sent to Syria for demonstrating (sic) the Russian presence in the turbulent region and possible evaluation of Russian citizens," the Black Sea Fleet told Interfax.

RIA Novosti, a news outlet with strong ties to the Kremlin, trumpeted the news in a banner headline that appeared only on its Arabic language website. The Russian embassy to the US and to the UN had no comment, saying they have "no particular information on" the arrival of a Russian anti-terrorism squad to Syria.

Moscow has long enjoyed a cozy relationship with the Assad regime, to which it sells billions of dollars of weapons. In return Russia has maintained a Navy base at Tartus, which gives it access to the Mediterranean.

Last week Russia's Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said Russia had no plans to send troops to Syria.

"As for the question whether I consider it necessary to confront the United States in Syria and ensure our military presence thereā€¦ in order to take part in military actions -- no. I believe this would be against Russia's national interests," Lavrov told lawmakers, according to RIA Novosti.

Russia's Defense Minister Anatoly Serdyukov denied reports that Russian special forces were operating inside Syria. He did say, however, that there are Russian military and technical advisors in the country.

U.S. State Department spokesperson Victoria Nuland said the U.S. government had not heard of the reports of Russian troops in Syria and declined to comment.
    Stevo
    Originally posted by SSMAN
    ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

"It’s been clear for a long time now that the Russians are protecting, and arming, the Assad government. But it strikes me that there’s a profound difference between exercising a Security Council veto or sending arms and sending actual military advisers into the country while Bashar Assad continues to mow down his own people. It is, perhaps, an attempt by the Russians to send a message to the rest of the world about intervening, and the costs that could result therefrom. After all, is anyone really going to want to risk finding out what would happen if members of the Russian Army ended up getting killed in an attack on Assad’s forces? Perhaps what we’re seeing here is an effort by the Russians to carve out a role for themselves as a negotiator in this conflict, although it’s hard to see how they would be able to carry that role out with any credibility given the fact that they have clearly taken sides in this conflict.

I’m not sure where this is headed now, but it strikes me that this could be a dangerous and provocative move."

Russia may be getting more involved in the Syrian conflict.

This could indeed get quite interesting. My main question is how does obama first apologize for... whatever...
    www.allforoneroofing.com

Comment

Obama will never do anything about what is happening over there so why wouldn't the Russians just do whatever the hell they want? Hell, I don't think we should do anything anyway, those people cried all over the god damn TV when we went into Iraq and many of the radicals from Syria went to Iraq to try to kill Americans. They made their bed so let them lay in it.
      Originally posted by racrguy
      What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
      Originally posted by racrguy
      Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Working...
      X