Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rick Perry's Facebook is getting a little bloody

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...gIPS_blog.html
    DALLAS — It’s no secret that Gov. Rick Perry never stopped campaigning against President Obama, even after high-tailing it
    Texas Gov. Rick Perry (Jim Young - Reuters) back to Texas after a less-than-stellar presidential run.

The governor’s been dishing it out on voter ID and abortion while surrounded by mostly like-minded folk in the red state Texas. Until this week, that is. Now Perry’s Facebook page is drawing thousands of comments pointedly taking him to task for cutting off federal funds for women’s health programs because some clinics are operated by Planned Parenthood.

Many of the comments are from women facetiously seeking advice on their menstrual periods, since he’s styled himself as an expert on women’s health.

“I would like your opinion since I can’t make medical decisions myself being a woman and all,’’ one woman wrote on Perry’s Facebook wall.

“Since you know so much about my healthcare, I was wondering if you could tell me how to handle my period since it is very heavy 4 days out of every month. What is the best product so I can have a productive day during these times or do you think I should just stay at home and call in sick or better yet quite my job since I can’t make my own decisions maybe I shouldn’t be working. What is your medical position on this issue?’’

The mocking comments signal considerable frustration over the Perry’s highly visible role in cutting off federal Medicaid money for the Texas Women’s Health Program.

Although Texas has previously accepted $31 million per year in federal funds for the program, Perry and state Republican lawmakers said they can no longer abide that money flowing through Planned Parenthood clinics in Texas, even though participating clinics don’t provide abortions.

The battle over the Texas Women’s Health program, which provides cancer screenings, pap smears, hormone patches, birth control and other basic services to more than 130,000 low-income women, has played out like a gunfight in a spaghetti western.

State officials warned that they would stop accepting money from the federal government unless they could cut off funding for Planned Parenthood clinics.

Federal officials warned that selectively cutting out certain clinics would jeopardize funding. Texas did it anyway. The federal government halted the money. Perry said Texas would pick up the slack so services will continue, but he didn’t say how, particularly as the state faces another looming budget crisis.

And on Friday, Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott sued the federal government over the issue, with Perry’s blessing.

“This is about life and the rule of law, which Texas respects and the Obama Administration does not,’’ Perry said in a statement last week.

Previously, Perry has said the federal government is intruding on the state’s rights, sounding very much like Perry the presidential candidate.

“It is the height of political posturing for the Obama Administration to put the interests of abortion providers and their affiliates, like Planned Parenthood, over the well-being of more than 100,000 low-income Texas women,’’ Perry said in a statement last week.

As of Monday afternoon, more than 4,000 comments were posted on Perry’s Facebook wall.

The backlash, such as it is, is expected to continue Tuesday, as protesters take to the streets outside the Capitol in Austin for the third week in a row. Clad in red clothes, the protestors have said they’re “seeing red” over the fate of the women’s health program.

Lori Stahl is a Texas journalist who covers politics. Follow her on Twitter at @LoriStahl.
    Riding the cotton cowboy...lulz

We do have a politics forum...

Comment

Boo fucking hoo.....I no longer get a handout from the federal fucking government....next they will want me to actually get a god damn job.... Boo fucking hoo
      Originally posted by racrguy
      What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
      Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

"That's a terrible idea...The women in there all together. They stay in there too long, they're gonna get on the same cycle...Wreak havoc on our plumbing." - Dwight Schrute,
        Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
        Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

Jesus Christ Perry is a fucking idiot. Him and Abbott both can go SADFJ.

Comment

Originally posted by 347Mike View Post
            "That's a terrible idea...The women in there all together. They stay in there too long, they're gonna get on the same cycle...Wreak havoc on our plumbing." - Dwight Schrute,
            lol

Comment

Don't care, pay for your own shit. Healthcare is not a right. I completely support Perry on this. I'm sick of our tax dollars going towards subsidizing welfare.
              "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
              "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
                Don't care, pay for your own shit. Healthcare is not a right. I completely support Perry on this. I'm sick of our tax dollars going towards subsidizing welfare.
                Well they want to give everyone healthcare so they make the taxpayers pick up the note for all the lazy people in this country & they still get paid either way
                GOD BLESS TEXAS
                August Landscaping
                214-779-7278
                Seb's high class.
                He'll mow your grass.
                He'll kick your ass.
                And while his kidney stones pass,
                He'll piss in a glass!

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
                  Boo fucking hoo.....I no longer get a handout from the federal fucking government....next they will want me to actually get a god damn job.... Boo fucking hoo
                  Your thinking about it from the wrong angle. How much do the tax payers have to provide to an unwanted child from birth to the age of 18? How much does it cost for a one time abortion? Which one costs the tax payers less?

Comment

Originally posted by SEB View Post
                    Well they want to give everyone healthcare so they make the taxpayers pick up the note for all the lazy people in this country & they still get paid either way
                    That's the problem. Healthcare is not a right. Making it a right will destroy our country. England currently pays 33% of all their extraordinarily high taxes to subsidize welfare. 1/3 of their entire revenue, and at current rates it will be 50% in 10 years.
                    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Along these lines, did anyone elese see where the Komen "Walk for the Cure" registration is down 40% from last year? They're really freaking out over there. After they flip-flopped on funding Planned Parenthood, people are bailing on them big-time. It's funny how they weren't basing anything on politics, but are now caught up in it by their decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by Vertnut View Post
                        Along these lines, did anyone elese see where the Komen "Walk for the Cure" registration is down 40% from last year? They're really freaking out over there. After they flip-flopped on funding Planned Parenthood, people are bailing on them big-time. It's funny how they weren't basing anything on politics, but are now caught up in it by their decisions.
                        They should have stuck with their first decision. That was so damn stupid of them. When it comes to business, you never ever take a political stance as the company. You'll immediately lose 50% of your business.

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
                          That's the problem. Healthcare is not a right. Making it a right will destroy our country. England currently pays 33% of all their extraordinarily high taxes to subsidize welfare. 1/3 of their entire revenue, and at current rates it will be 50% in 10 years.
                          I agree! But they want to make it a right cause its all about Big Business & Big Goverment
                          GOD BLESS TEXAS
                          August Landscaping
                          214-779-7278
                          Seb's high class.
                          He'll mow your grass.
                          He'll kick your ass.
                          And while his kidney stones pass,
                          He'll piss in a glass!

Comment

Originally posted by SEB View Post
                            I agree! But they want to make it a right cause its all about Big Business & Big Goverment
                            who is they?

Comment

Originally posted by John -- '02 HAWK View Post
                              Your thinking about it from the wrong angle. How much do the tax payers have to provide to an unwanted child from birth to the age of 18? How much does it cost for a one time abortion? Which one costs the tax payers less?
                              Not at all, we shouldn't be providing for them later either. Fuck them.
                              What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                              Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Working...
                              X