No announcement yet.

The “Don’t trust anyone over 30″ generation is now robbing everyone under 30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The “Don’t trust anyone over 30″ generation is now robbing everyone under 30

Almost fifty years ago, teenagers and young adults proclaimed, “Don’t trust anyone over 30!” These days, though, the same generation seems intent on impoverishing everyone under 30 now, as Nick Gillespie argues at Reason. From ObamaCare to efforts at reimposing a draft for military or national service to the refusal to address the obvious entitlement collapse rapidly approaching, the generation that sang “hope I die before I get old” seems more content to use its grandchildren as ATMs in their final years (via Instapundit):
    You’re not getting screwed by billionaires and plutocrats. You’re getting screwed by Mom and Dad.
    Systematically and in all sorts of ways. Old people are doing everything possible to rob you of your money, your future, your dignity, and your freedom.
    Here’s the irony, too (in a sort of Alanis Morissette sense): You’re getting hosed by the very same group that 45 years ago was bitching and moaning about “the generation gap” and how their parents just didn’t understand what really mattered in life.
    You mean the generation that rebelled at the imposition of a draft in order to properly resource an unpopular war? Er …
    Did you read that New York Times op-ed that called for a brand-spankin’ new military draft and national service plan? “Let’s Draft Our Kids,” by veteran (read: old, born in 1955) journalist Thomas Ricks, is symptomatic of the new vibe, a kind of reverse Logan’s Run scenario. In that godawful 1976 flick, when you turned 30, you were killed for the common good. Nowadays, it’s more like life begins at 30. Which is confusing because 40 is the new 30 and 50 is the new 40 and on and on. The important thing: Youth is no longer to be wasted on the young.
    Neither are the resources of youth:
    But here’s the real rub, kids: You’re getting screwed by Social Security, a program that is now more sacrosanct to aging boomers than Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band. You’re paying more into the system than you’re ever going to get out. No wonder it’s mandatory. C. Eugene Steuerle and Stephanie Rennane put out a study for the Urban Institute last summer that should have caused far more riots than anything that happened at Zuccotti Park. They document that folks making average wages who retired in 2010 will get a raw deal over the coming decades. The deal will only get worse if you retire in, say, 2030. Read it and weep, kids, and don’t believe it when old people who are either already on Social Security or about to join that club tell you it’s part of a generational bargain that can’t be changed even if retirees are totally wealthy compared to you.
    An even better example, one which Nick doesn’t use but is much more immediate and clear, is ObamaCare. True, the law mandates that insurance companies keep “children” on their parents’ policies until the age of 26. At that point, though, the law forces adults to purchase expensive comprehensive policies that make financial sense for few adults below middle age, if then. A comprehensive policy in Minnesota cost an average of $32oo a year, with a moderate deductible but 100% coverage for “wellness” services. In a free market with price signals that actually reach consumers, those activities might cost $500 a year, but probably significantly less.
    A hospitalization policy combined with HSAs would make much better financial sense for young adults, cost less, and would lower insurance companies’ overhead by reducing their role in routine health-care activities. That, however, would force insurance companies to charge much more for comprehensive insurance policies to middle-age consumers. ObamaCare forces young adults to spend much more than necessary — and far more than they receive in services — in order to subsidize the costs of comprehensive insurance to pre-Medicare older adults.
    Younger voters have to bear a lot of the responsibility for their plight, since they enthusiastically supported Barack Obama in 2008, ensuring his election. Perhaps four years of economic stagnation and pocket-picking will make them wiser this time around.
    Update: Got my overs and unders confused on the headline — it’s fixed now, and in the post, too.

i strongly agree with this .

Baby boomers are doing anything they can to shift responsibilities and burdens to their children and grandchildren.

Comment

Preach, motherfucker!

Comment

My family is not.
        How do we forget ourselves? How do we forget our minds?

Comment

I've said time and time again that babyboomers are responsible for a massive amount of our issues as a country - the negative ones.

Comment

Generation X really did F us.

But there is much more political diversity and views than those days which gives me hope that this drone left right crap will be broken up.
            Full time ninja editor.

Comment

Originally posted by majorownage View Post

But there is much more political diversity and views than those days which gives me hope that this drone left right crap will be broken up.
              generation y (or whatever the hell the next generation after gen. x is called) is who fucked us. Without them buying into obama's bullshit and helping to elect him, he might not have been president. Gen-x ends in the late 70s or early 80s. I was born in 81 so i associate myself with the xers, but even my feeble mind knew better.
              How do we forget ourselves? How do we forget our minds?

Comment

Originally posted by The Geofster View Post
                generation y (or whatever the hell the next generation after gen. x is called) is who fucked us. Without them buying into obama's bullshit and helping to elect him, he might not have been president. Gen-x ends in the late 70s or early 80s. I was born in 81 so i associate myself with the xers, but even my feeble mind knew better.
                So you're really offering that this mess just started 4 years ago? And it's not like Gen-Y elected him alone. Having the biggest turnout in years still amounted to an abysmal turnout among young people, as usual.

Baby boomers have saved poorly for retirement, and more importantly, they've held the power for the past 20 years. This wreck didn't appear overnight, and I know you don't believe that it did.

Comment

Originally posted by The Geofster View Post
                  Bro, the gen y's are just now getting to drink. We are THE smallest part of the voting population.
                  Full time ninja editor.

Comment

Explain how anyone born in the gen x crowd has fucked you.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
                      Explain how anyone born in the gen x crowd has fucked you.
                      I guess I would have to rephrase post war and x. We are at record Debt/GDP ratios and I will be paying interest off until I retire. This is the number one reason why I think government debt is bad. We are enslaving the future generations.

EDIT:

This doesn't mean I'm going to blame all the problems on other people and not take action. If we don't act, we are just as much to blame.
                      Full time ninja editor.

Comment

A generational article bitching about the generation that bitched about the generation before them....how original, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by The King View Post
                          A generational article bitching about the generation that bitched about the generation before them....how original, lol.
                          Keep one thing in mind:

The young people who you are relying on being fleeced to pay for your pension and social security are the ones just realizing how much this is going to cost them. You see how California is trying to prop up their nanny state, by trying to raise tax after tax. California's citizens keep voting down tax raising measures. Nothing left to do but go bankrupt, and leave these ridiculous obligatios, and in turn you old people in the lurch.

Hope you aren't relying on your pension and social security. I have a feeling in 15 years, you may not have either.

Keep laughing. The people you rely on to pay your meal ticket aren't going to pay forever. I sure as hell won't be.
                          Last edited by sc281; 07-13-2012, 09:15 AM.

Comment

I guess I would have to rephrase post war and x. We are at record Debt/GDP ratios and I will be paying interest off until I retire. This is the number one reason why I think government debt is bad. We are enslaving the future generations.

EDIT:

This doesn't mean I'm going to blame all the problems on other people and not take action. If we don't act, we are just as much to blame.
                            I suppose they should split this up. If gen X started in 62 and ran through the early 80's then there is too much variance. I would say that most born after 1970 have yet to move into powers of controllable authority where they actually change the course of the nation.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
                              I suppose they should split this up. If gen X started in 62 and ran through the early 80's then there is too much variance. I would say that most born after 1970 have yet to move into powers of controllable authority where they actually change the course of the nation.
                              And then you have generation Y, as in "Y in the fvck should we pay for all this shyte?"

Comment

Working...
                              X