Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Romeny beats Obama to New Orleans

I guess Obama hates black people.

President Barack Obama was today forced to announce he will fly to storm-hit Louisiana on Monday – hours after Mitt Romney beat him to the punch by deciding to head there this afternoon.
    After it emerged that Obama was still taking time to fit in a campaign stop in Cleveland, Ohio before checking out how clean-up operations are proceeding in the Bayou state, the Obama campaign abruptly cancelled that event.

'In light of the President’s travel to Louisiana to meet with local officials and view ongoing response and recovery efforts to Hurricane Isaac, President Obama will no longer travel to Cleveland, Ohio on Monday, September 3,' the campaign said in a terse statement.

Romney had changed his schedule to head to an affected town outside New Orleans while Obama, who has yet to visit the Tropical Storm Isaac zone, headed off to Texas to campaign.
    Concern: Mitt Romney, pictured at the American Legion National Convention in Indianapolis, has changed his campaign trail plans and will visit storm-hit areas of Louisiana on Friday

Concern: Mitt Romney, pictured at the American Legion National Convention in Indianapolis, has changed his campaign trail plans and will visit a storm-hit area of Louisiana on Friday
    Seven years ago, President George W. Bush was lambasted for inaction and incompetence in dealing with Hurricane Katrina, which devastated New Orleans and much of the Mississippi and Louisiana gulf coast.

Romney’s last-minute trip to New Orleans came as his wife Ann told CNN that swing women voters in particular had told her that 'it's time for the grown-up to come, the man that's going to take this very seriously and the future of our children very, very seriously'.

He opted out of a joint campaign appearance in Richmond, Virginia with Paul Ryan, his vice-presidential running mate, to head to Louisiana.

The first day of the Republican convention in Tampa was cancelled as Isaac bore down on Florida and the Gulf of Mexico area.

More...

'It's time to turn the page': Romney accepts GOP nomination... as Clint Eastwood delivers bizarre comedy routine mocking Obama
    'Obama's not a bad guy - he's a bad President!' Marco Rubio wows GOP convention as he introduces Romney
    Couple found dead in home swamped by Isaac's flood waters brings storm death toll in Louisiana and Mississippi to four

Governor Bobby Jindal of Louisiana, who was on Romney’s vice-presidential shortlist, abandoned his convention speech to oversee storm relief.

A Romney aide told ABC News that Romney would 'join Governor Jindal and will meet with first responders, thank them for their work and see areas impacted by the storm' in LaFitte, Louisiana, some 20 miles south of New Orleans.
    Change of plan: Romney will travel to LaFitte in Louisiana, pictured, before flying to Cincinnati

Change of plan: Romney will travel to LaFitte in Louisiana, pictured, before flying to Cincinnati

Damage: Homes in the town have been ravaged by flood waters from Tropical Storm Isaac this week

Damage: Homes in the town have been ravaged by flood waters from Tropical Storm Isaac this week

The trip to Louisiana was sandwiched between previously announced campaign stops in Lakeland, Florida, where he will be joined by Paul Ryan, and Cincinnati.

On a visit to Indianapolis on Wednesday to speak at the American Legion convention, Romney joked about the storm before expressing his concern.

'I appreciate this invitation to join you on dry land this afternoon,' he said to laughter. 'Our thoughts are, of course, with the people of the Gulf Coast states.

'We're grateful that it appears Isaac will spare them from the kind of damage we saw during Katrina, but for many in the Gulf Coast who just finished repairing their homes and are getting a life back to normal, this must be a heavy burden.
    No show: President Obama, pictured on a campaign stop to Charlottesville, Virginia on Wednesday, has yet to visit the storm-ravaged area where four people have died and thousands have lost their homes

No show: President Obama, pictured on a campaign stop to Charlottesville, Virginia on Wednesday, has yet to visit the storm-ravaged area where four people have died and thousands have lost their homes

'So today our thoughts are with them, our prayers go out to them, and our country must do all we can to help them recover.'

In Lafitte, emergency crews were assisting victims of Hurricane Isaac, which hit the coast with wind speeds of 80mph on Tuesday and brought flooding to the area before it was downgraded to a tropical storm.

The storm, which is lumbering north at a pace of just 5mph, has claimed four lives in Mississippi and Louisiana, ravaged homes with as many as 18 inches of flood water, and left more than 900,000 people without power.
    I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Smart move.

Comment

Biden said it's because he's going to put them back in chains.
      Originally posted by Broncojohnny
      HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

I don't know man, doesn't anyone see right through the bullshit? I'd almost respect O'bama more if he justified why he was not rushing down there.

I mean, he's POTUS and it was a Category 1 hurricane. Plenty of underlings are handling it.
        Originally posted by MR EDD
        U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
          I don't know man, doesn't anyone see right through the bullshit? I'd almost respect O'bama more if he justified why he was not rushing down there.

I mean, he's POTUS and it was a Category 1 hurricane. Plenty of underlings are handling it.
          Heaven forbid you don't say you're going down there to see it firsthand, people will think you hate them. Are pictures and video not enough to assess the amount of damage done?

Comment

So you're damned if you do and damned if you don't?
            How do we forget ourselves? How do we forget our minds?

Comment

Originally posted by racrguy View Post
              Heaven forbid you don't say you're going down there to see it firsthand, people will think you hate them. Are pictures and video not enough to assess the amount of damage done?
              Originally posted by The Geofster View Post
              So you're damned if you do and damned if you don't?
              When you make a circus out of it. Yeah - he was going on Monday - that's fine. Canceling other plans when another politician is going to "beat you there" really cheapens it to me.

If you're struggling, the POTUS being there is going to make 0 difference. In fact it's a huge distraction and anyone who has been on a base or other place where you're trying to work when a POTUS comes - knows it basically stops or at least hinders everything.

Generally my point is he is the POTUS and should have major issues on his plate to worry about. Rearranging a schedule so you don't look bad during an election years looks poorly. At least in my eyes. I maybe Satan reborn to some of you for that - ah well.

The others are not as important. A strong POTUS should never bow or scramble for anyone.

racrguy - it's not him going it's him re-arranging schedules to go when it was already planned.

Comment

When you make a circus out of it. Yeah - he was going on Monday - that's fine. Canceling other plans when another politician is going to "beat you there" really cheapens it to me.

If you're struggling, the POTUS being there is going to make 0 difference. In fact it's a huge distraction and anyone who has been on a base or other place where you're trying to work when a POTUS comes - knows it basically stops or at least hinders everything.

Generally my point is he is the POTUS and should have major issues on his plate to worry about. Rearranging a schedule so you don't look bad during an election years looks poorly. At least in my eyes. I maybe Satan reborn to some of you for that - ah well.

The others are not as important. A strong POTUS should never bow or scramble for anyone.

racrguy - it's not him going it's him re-arranging schedules to go when it was already planned.
                Oh, you mean like campaigning like he's done for the past four years? If campaigning is the most pressing issue "on his plate," then he's the best goddamn president we've ever had!
                How do we forget ourselves? How do we forget our minds?

Comment

He was campaigning, not doing presidential duties. This forced him to stop campaigning and actually do one of the duties of the office, consoling Americans hit with devastation
                  I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Bush got his ass tore up over Katrina. I'm surprised Barry didn't beat the hurricane there. Nuff said.

Comment

Obama don't care about white people.

Comment

Originally posted by Trip McNeely View Post
                        Aint that the truth.

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
                          He was campaigning, not doing presidential duties. This forced him to stop campaigning and actually do one of the duties of the office, consoling Americans hit with devastation
                          Well, if I'm reading the article right - he was going to continue campaigning until looking bad and rearranging.

TBH, and I know this may not be well accepted - but I'm not that spun up by the way Bush did it or Obama. On-site presence adds no advantage when you're a POTUS.

I do find it funny that no real mention of Obama goofing around was mentioned, but they were two different levels of suck though.

Comment

Originally posted by Nash B. View Post
                            Biden said it's because he's going to put them back in chains.

Comment

Originally posted by Trip McNeely View Post
                              What did you say?

Comment

Working...
                              X