Adviser: Romney "shellshocked" by loss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adviser: Romney "shellshocked" by loss

BOSTON, Mass. Mitt Romney's campaign got its first hint something was wrong on the afternoon of Election Day, when state campaign workers on the ground began reporting huge turnout in areas favorable to President Obama: northeastern Ohio, northern Virginia, central Florida and Miami-Dade.

Then came the early exit polls that also were favorable to the president.

But it wasn't until the polls closed that concern turned into alarm. They expected North Carolina to be called early. It wasn't. They expected Pennsylvania to be up in the air all night; it went early for the President.

After Ohio went for Mr. Obama, it was over, but senior advisers say no one could process it.

"We went into the evening confident we had a good path to victory," said one senior adviser. "I don't think there was one person who saw this coming."

They just couldn't believe they had been so wrong. And maybe they weren't: There was Karl Rove on Fox saying Ohio wasn't settled, so campaign aides decided to wait. They didn't want to have to withdraw their concession, like Al Gore did in 2000, and they thought maybe the suburbs of Columbus and Cincinnati, which hadn't been reported, could make a difference.

Big GOP donors see small return on investment
    2012 Election results

But then came Colorado for the president and Florida also was looking tougher than anyone had imagined.

"We just felt, 'where's our path?'" said a senior adviser. "There wasn't one."

Romney then said what they knew: it was over.

His personal assistant, Garrett Jackson, called his counterpart on Mr. Obama's staff, Marvin Nicholson. "Is your boss available?" Jackson asked.

Romney was stoic as he talked to the president, an aide said, but his wife Ann cried. Running mate Paul Ryan seemed genuinely shocked, the adviser said. Ryan's wife Janna also was shaken and cried softly.

"There's nothing worse than when you think you're going to win, and you don't," said another adviser. "It was like a sucker punch."

Play Video
    Mitt Romney's concession speech

Their emotion was visible on their faces when they walked on stage after Romney finished his remarks, which Romney had hastily composed, knowing he had to say something.

Both wives looked stricken, and Ryan himself seemed grim. They all were thrust on that stage without understanding what had just happened.

"He was shellshocked," one adviser said of Romney.

Romney and his campaign had gone into the evening confident they had a good path to victory, for emotional and intellectual reasons. The huge and enthusiastic crowds in swing state after swing state in recent weeks - not only for Romney but also for Paul Ryan - bolstered what they believed intellectually: that Obama would not get the kind of turnout he had in 2008.

They thought intensity and enthusiasm were on their side this time - poll after poll showed Republicans were more motivated to vote than Democrats - and that would translate into votes for Romney.
    As a result, they believed the public/media polls were skewed - they thought those polls oversampled Democrats and didn't reflect Republican enthusiasm. They based their own internal polls on turnout levels more favorable to Romney. That was a grave miscalculation, as they would see on election night.

Those assumptions drove their campaign strategy: their internal polling showed them leading in key states, so they decided to make a play for a broad victory: go to places like Pennsylvania while also playing it safe in the last two weeks.

Those assessments were wrong. They made three key miscalculations, in part because this race bucked historical trends:

1. They misread turnout. They expected it to be between 2004 and 2008 levels, with a plus-2 or plus-3 Democratic electorate, instead of plus-7 as it was in 2008. Their assumptions were wrong on both sides: The president's base turned out and Romney's did not. More African-Americans voted in Ohio, Virginia, North Carolina and Florida than in 2008. And fewer Republicans did: Romney got just over 2 million fewer votes than John McCain.

2. Independents. State polls showed Romney winning big among independents. Historically, any candidate polling that well among independents wins. But as it turned out, many of those independents were former Republicans who now self-identify as independents. The state polls weren't oversampling Democrats and undersampling Republicans - there just weren't as many Republicans this time because they were calling themselves independents.

3. Undecided voters. The perception is they always break for the challenger, since people know the incumbent and would have decided already if they were backing him. Romney was counting on that trend to continue. Instead, exit polls show Mr. Obama won among people who made up their minds on Election Day and in the few days before the election. So maybe Romney, after running for six years, was in the same position as the incumbent.

The campaign before the election had expressed confidence in its calculations, and insisted the Obama campaign, with its own confidence and a completely different analysis, was wrong. In the end, it the other way around.

"They were right," a Romney campaign senior adviser said of the Obama campaign's assessments. "And if they were right, we lose."

It should have been no surprise that the libs were going to cheat and win....
    Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

Here's part of what happened. My neighbor (very good car buddy, older business professional) said his brother is a teacher in the Northeast. His brother had a student come up and said he needed to go vote because he needed the money. The brother asked the student what that meant. The kid replied, "Well, they think I may look too young, but I need the money, so I have to go and try." So, the kid left class early to try to go vote. The kid was 15.

How messed up is that?
      Ford
      GM
      Toyota
      VAG

Comment

Originally posted by quikag View Post
        Here's part of what happened. My neighbor (very good car buddy, older business professional) said his brother is a teacher in the Northeast. His brother had a student come up and said he needed to go vote because he needed the money. The brother asked the student what that meant. The kid replied, "Well, they think I may look too young, but I need the money, so I have to go and try." So, the kid left class early to try to go vote. The kid was 15.

How messed up is that?
        Wow, so someone approached a 15 yr old kid and told him they would give him cash if he votes for "Change"
        Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

How messed up is that?
          And your neighbor's brother reported him, right?
          Originally posted by Broncojohnny
          HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

How messed up is that?
            Romney and Obama were too much alike. That is what happened. Romney isn’t a true conservative and the people who were honest with themselves could see it. Romney’s votes were from the people who thought anyone but Obama. Romney never had the support of the people through the primary’s which was evident by the low turnout at his rallies. He would only get a couple of hundred people when other candidates would get a couple of thousand. Most of Romney’s money came from the banks and corporation not the voters. People stayed home because they didn’t like either candidate which can be seen by the lower voter turnout numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by cyclonescott View Post
              Romney and Obama were too much alike. That is what happened. Romney isn’t a true conservative and the people who were honest with themselves could see it. Romney’s votes were from the people who thought anyone but Obama. Romney never had the support of the people through the primary’s which was evident by the low turnout at his rallies. He would only get a couple of hundred people when other candidates would get a couple of thousand. Most of Romney’s money came from the banks and corporation not the voters. People stayed home because they didn’t like either candidate which can be seen by the lower voter turnout numbers.
              lol, I am pretty sure that "almost" the whole nation is split based off the numbers....so I, in my opinon, feel it is safe to say that they both appealed to their respective groups. It becomes even more evident when you look at the nationl maps that are broken down my county, honestly, the elctorial college helps mud things up as well.

You know you could win 2/3 more states than the person you are running against and still not win the election....gotta love the electorial college and the number of seats each state is allotted.
              Originally posted by Sean88gt
              You can take white off the list. White on anything is the best, including vehicles, women, and the Presidency.
              Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder
              You can not imagine how difficult it is to hold a half gallon of moo juice and polish the one-eyed gopher when your doin' seventy-five in an eighteen-wheeler.

Comment

Originally posted by Nash B. View Post
                And your neighbor's brother reported him, right?
                I don't know, but my neighbor said his brother was amazed. Apparently, it's an area up in the NE that is brutally Democratic, so whether the brother reported it or not, probably wouldn't have made a difference either way.
                Ford
                GM
                Toyota
                VAG

Comment

Originally posted by Gtracer View Post
                  lol, I am pretty sure that "almost" the whole nation is split based off the numbers....so I, in my opinon, feel it is safe to say that they both appealed to their respective groups. It becomes even more evident when you look at the nationl maps that are broken down my county, honestly, the elctorial college helps mud things up as well.

You know you could win 2/3 more states than the person you are running against and still not win the election....gotta love the electorial college and the number of seats each state is allotted.
                  Less than half of the nation voted. The split between the candidates’ is usually around 4 percentage points. There were 12,000,000 less voters than in 2004. Romney didn’t pull in the independents that he needed too. There is more to it than just a map with red and blue on it.

Comment

Less than half of the nation voted. The split between the candidates’ is usually around 4 percentage points. There were 12,000,000 less voters than in 2004. Romney didn’t pull in the independents that he needed too. There is more to it than just a map with red and blue on it.
                    Very true, I guess in my head when it all comes down, the red and blue are what mattered. I probably was looking at it from the wrong angle though...if there is a wrong angle
                    Originally posted by Sean88gt
                    You can take white off the list. White on anything is the best, including vehicles, women, and the Presidency.
                    Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder
                    You can not imagine how difficult it is to hold a half gallon of moo juice and polish the one-eyed gopher when your doin' seventy-five in an eighteen-wheeler.

Comment

Not looking to sling mud; just a simple question. If the independents were not pulled by Romney are you saying that they didn't vote and instead allowed us to have another 4 years of this clown?

I am not a huge Romney fan. But I was a fan of anyone that could unseat the current WH Admin. Romney was the only one up on the ballot that stood a chance of doing that and that I could live with.
                      Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Originally posted by kbscobravert View Post
                        Not looking to sling mud; just a simple question. If the independents were not pulled by Romney are you saying that they didn't vote and instead allowed us to have another 4 years of this clown?

I am not a huge Romney fan. But I was a fan of anyone that could unseat the current WH Admin. Romney was the only one up on the ballot that stood a chance of doing that and that I could live with.
                        I haven’t heard any numbers on the independent vote but my less than educated guess is that a lot of them stayed home and didn’t vote. Did I want Obama to win? No. Was I happy with Romney? No. I just feel that we had two candidates shoved down our throat and that they were all we really had to pick from.

Comment

Working...
                        X