X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perry, Dewhurst support drug testing for welfare, unemployment benefits

By Mike Ward

American-Statesman Staff

Texas’ top two leaders on Tuesday endorsed a change in state law to require first-ever mandatory drug testing for welfare recipients and those receiving unemployment assistance.

Gov. Rick Perry and Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst said the move would keep welfare recipients from spending money on illegal drugs, instead of necessary living expenses for which it is intended, and would cut down on unemployment costs to businesses for unemployed Texans who cannot pass a drug test.

At least 23 other states including Florida have either implemented a similar change or are considering it, as welfare reform has become a key issue among conservatives and in cash-strapped states looking to tighten elegibility criteria and to curb abuses.

“Texas taxpayers will not subsidize or tolerate illegal drug abuse,” Perry said at a morning press conference to announce his support of the change. “Every dollar that goes to someone who uses it inappropriately is a dollar that can’t go to a Texan who needs it for housing, child care or medicine. Being on drugs makes it much harder to begin the journey to independence, which only assures individuals remain stuck in the terrible cycle of drug abuse and poverty.”

Dewhurst, noting he is the only “traditional business owner” among the state’s ladership who has had experience with hiring difficulties in the private workplace, said there are cases where businesses offer jobs to job candidates, only to have them flunk drug tests. In other cases, he said, applicants turn down jobs or ask that their start date be delayed so they can continue collecting a state unemployment check for several additional weeks.

“People on drugs are less dependable and they put businesses and other employees at risk,” Dewhurst said. “We owe it to all Texans to improve the structure on welfare and our unemployment benefits. This new approach to (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families, a welfare-to-work program) and unemployment brings it back to its original purpose.”

Drug users who flunked a mandatory test could be disqualified from receiving benefits for up to 12 months, the officials said. Dewhurst said they could qualify for treatment programs covered by the federal Medicaid program, if they were eligible.

Bill Hammond, president of the Texas Association of Business, a powerful business lobby group, applauded the proposal — filed as a bill on Tuesday by state Sen. Jane Nelson, R-Flower Mound, chairwoman of the Senate Health and Human Services Committee. Senate Bill 11 has a low number because it is a high priority for passage, Dewhurst said.

Hammond said 80 percent of Texas employers are now requiring drug-testing of employees and prospective employees, as a condition of employment. If benefits are linked to passing a drug test, he said, more unemployed Texans will be more readily available for work when they apply.

Despite strong support from top state officials and lobby groups, other interest groups quickly questioned the idea — with some suggesting that it could lead to more unemployed, drug-addicted Texans ending up penniless, and perhaps in the criminal justice system that will cost taxpayers even more.

“How sad that our state’s highest elected officials have embraced this mean-spirited measure that would punish innocent children for their parents’ conduct,” said Terri Burke, executive director of the ACLU of Texas. “This proposal is a costly, ineffective, inhumane and punitive effort by state government based on stereotypes about our state’s neediest Texans.”

KFOX14 provides local news, weather coverage and traffic reports for El Paso, Texas and Las Cruces, NM and nearby towns and communities including Clint, Fabens, Socorro, San Elizario, Canutillo, Vinton, Anthony, Ysleta, Horizon City, Fort Bliss, Van Horn, Fort Hancock, Tornillo, Westway, La Mesa, Mesilla, Mesquite, San Miguel, Vado, Deming, Alamogordo, White Sands, Chaparral, Berino, Chamberino, Dona Ana, Elephant Butte, Hatch, La Union, Radium Springs, Sunland Park, Santa Teresa and Truth or Consequences (T or C).
    I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Nice. Finally

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
      Despite strong support from top state officials and lobby groups, other interest groups quickly questioned the idea — with some suggesting that it could lead to more unemployed, drug-addicted Texans ending up penniless, and perhaps in the criminal justice system that will cost taxpayers even more.

“How sad that our state’s highest elected officials have embraced this mean-spirited measure that would punish innocent children for their parents’ conduct,” said Terri Burke, executive director of the ACLU of Texas. “This proposal is a costly, ineffective, inhumane and punitive effort by state government based on stereotypes about our state’s neediest Texans.”
      This thinking right here is fucking sad, How about not being worthless fucks.

Comment

Now we just need each county to have a Sheriff Joe. Make jail time actually an inconvenience and drug test the welfare recipients, we might actually fix our society.

Comment

Originally posted by Ted View Post
          This thinking right here is fucking sad, How about not being worthless fucks.
          Agreed! By all means, let's enable every worthless fuck out there by coddling them and continue to place the burden on the shoulders of those of us that give a shit and work honestly for our money.

Comment

It needs to be an observed drug test just like the military. They watched me piss in a cup to serve, they need to do the same in order to collect.

Comment

i'm all for it

Comment

out here in cali i think they mail you an eighth of weed with every check...

Comment

or they could just get rid of welfare all together. no drug testing, no bs. if you need help, get it from your friends, your family, your church group - whatever. handle your own problems.

Comment

Originally posted by clevelandkid View Post
                    or they could just get rid of welfare all together. no drug testing, no bs. if you need help, get it from your friends, your family, your church group - whatever. handle your own problems.
                    They need to go back to the route of actual food stamps with an up front purchase requirement and supplemental stamps that can only be used for certain staples, like beans, powered milk, government cheese, and peanut butter. If you make these programs uncomfortable (can't use your snap card at Papa Murphy's or to buy soda and other luxury items) people won't want to stay on them.

Comment

I was in El Paso yesterday, and everywhere I looked I saw "Use your Lonestar Card here" signs. Most of the businesses had nothing to do with essential living.....party supplies, Mexican restaurant, electronics store, etc. Made me want to punt kittens.

Comment

Oh, look. Rick Perry appearing to have a spine so he can get elected again... You notice he's shut the fuck up on all the secession talk. Not that it was ever going to happen in the first place, but because it didn't get him any further in the Presidential election.

I support this, but this is purely a statement for publicity.
                        Originally posted by BradM
                        But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                        Originally posted by Leah
                        In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

I'm glad. I thing if you can afford the extracurricular than you can afford food
                          1969 GTO Judge Clone 6.0 liter LQ4 Turbo 4L60e on LS1tech

1960 Chevy Sedan Delivery LS swap

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                            Oh, look. Rick Perry appearing to have a spine so he can get elected again... You notice he's shut the fuck up on all the secession talk. Not that it was ever going to happen in the first place, but because it didn't get him any further in the Presidential election.

I support this, but this is purely a statement for publicity.

Bingo.

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post

“How sad that our state’s highest elected officials have embraced this mean-spirited measure that would punish innocent children for their parents’ conduct,” said Terri Burke, executive director of the ACLU of Texas.
                              As for this... The parents are the ones punishing the kids, by being on govt assistance to begin with. If the kids meant anything (other than a guaranteed paycheck) to the parents, they wouldn't be on assistance to begin with.
                              Originally posted by BradM
                              But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                              Originally posted by Leah
                              In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Working...
                              X