Oust Straus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oust Straus

At Examiner.com™ we help you excel personal finance, boost income, invest wisely, travel smart, reach financial freedom faster, and enjoy life on a budget.

Joe Straus Texas House Speaker(R-San Antonio) is taking steps to keep his job as Texas House Speaker after learning he has a challenger to his position. On Monday, Rep. David Simpson (R-Longview) announced his intention to seek the House Speaker position and oust Straus.

Straus has been highly criticized during his speaker tenure by House conservatives who feel he has been too moderate and has undermined their legislative efforts. Rep. Bryan Hughes had previously announced his intention to run for the speaker's post, but has now thrown his support behind Simpson, who also has the strong support of state Tea Party groups.

“I respect Speaker Straus as a fellow legislator; however, we differ on the way that the House should be led. And I am not alone in that opinion," Simpson said in a statement. "The culture of ‘go along to get along’ politics, where members face intimidation and retribution should they disagree with a leadership decision, stifles representative government."

On Simpson's website, he espouses a strong conervative stance on many issues, including abortion. However, many who support a compassionate approach to the illegal alien issue may have a problem with his statement: "Illegal aliens, however, including temporary workers who out-stay their visas, should be fined and deported. They should be allowed to return only through the legal process adhered to by law-abiding applicants for immigration." That may likely turn off many Republicans who feel uprooting illegals who have broken no other laws is inhumane, and support a path to citizenship that does not require leaving the country.

In response to a possible challenger, Straus is trying to bolster his conservative credentials with the public. His campaign started a website in late October, ConservativeRecord.com, touting his work as House Speaker. Across the top of the page is a banner proclaiming "Conservative values are good for Texas." He is also purchasing a number of web ads (featured in the photo above) that link to ConservativeRecord.com.

The House Speaker requires votes from 76 representatives to be elected. Republicans hold 95 of 150 seats.

I can't recall anything negative about Simpson. He certainly hasn't caused any problems for business or productivity here in Longview.

I'll have to do more checking up on him to be certain.

Comment

Yep, I want him out too. Time to swing this bitch FAR to the right
      I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Generally in Texas if the Tea Party turns against you, pack your bags.
        "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
        "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

He literally got boo'd off of the stage at the GOP convention in June. Tons of people were wearing "Oust Staus" shirts and carrying "Oust Straus" banners everywhere.

Comment

Working...
          X