AZ leading the way again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AZ leading the way again

A bill making its way through the Arizona state legislature would require public high school students to swear an oath to defend the Constitution before they receive their diplomas.

The legislation was introduced Tuesday by a group of Republican lawmakers and referred to several state House committees. If passed, it would require principals to verify in writing that a student had recited the following oath before they were allowed to graduate, beginning in the 2013-2014 school year:

I, _________, do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic, that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge these duties; So help me God.

The oath — similar to the one taken by government leaders, military members and new U.S. citizens — ends with the words “so help me God,” which could run afoul of the First Amendment, the Phoenix Business Journal noted:

Jehovah’s witnesses, some Muslims and pacifist Quakers have in the past challenged loyalty oaths imposed by the federal government and other agencies, saying they conflict with their beliefs and religious professions. Similarly, some Arizona students could challenge the proposed high school oath as a violation of their religious liberties and freedom of expression.
    Click here to find out more!

The legislation’s sponsor, first-time lawmaker Rep. Bob Thorpe, told Current the idea for it came from a campaign event and from constituents who said they were concerned about patriotism and the Constitution.

“The reason behind this is meant to be a positive experience, not a negative experience,” Thorpe said.

He disputed the notion that the bill is unconstitutional, saying the First Amendment prohibits Congress, not state legislatures, from making any law “respecting an establishment of religion” or “abridging the freedom of speech.” The bill doesn’t stop students from speaking out, he said.

“The idea that there’s something evil about taking this oath seems to be a pretty ineffective argument,” Thorpe said. “When you think about all the areas where people take this oath voluntarily.”

Thorpe said he was planning to offer an amendment to the bill making the oath optional instead of mandatory.

I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

There are big problems with this. It's not taken freely, as you have to say it in order to graduate HS. They're trying to force people to say something they may not entirely agree with, and Bob Thorpe doesn't understand that the Constitution applies to state legislatures as well.

Comment

I don't agree with it at all.

Comment

Personally I wouldn't want anyone taking that oath unless they truly meant it and that is exactly what will happen.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

You're letting the bats out of the belfry again, frost.
          How do we forget ourselves? How do we forget our minds?

Comment

Originally posted by Lason View Post
            Personally I wouldn't want anyone taking that oath unless they truly meant it and that is exactly what will happen.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
            This.
            This is using the Liberal handbook and forcing something on someone. I don't agree with it.

Comment

Most of all, what purpose does it serve? At most it'll be nullified because of rote repetition.

This doesn't make any goddamn sense.

Comment

Just cheapens the oath.

We hold these Truths to be self-evident, that all Men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the the pursuit of happiness......, that whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive to these Ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government,
                I'm posting from my phone, probably while driving. Expect typoes.......

Comment

Originally posted by '90Vert View Post
                  Just cheapens the oath.
                  repost.

Comment

It's a step. I'm also for having to pass a civics test before you graduate.

Racr, the 1st amendment prohibition doesn't apply to states. The very words of the Constitution disagrees

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
                      It's a step. I'm also for having to pass a civics test before you graduate.

Racr, the 1st amendment prohibition doesn't apply to states. The very words of the Constitution disagrees
                      privileges or immunities clause of the 14th.

Comment

Originally posted by racrguy View Post
                        privileges or immunities clause of the 14th.
                        Read the 1st amendment. Slowly. What's the first 5 words in it?

So you're for incorporation. Cool. So that means states and cities cannot have gun laws as that would be infringing.

Comment

You pass an entire civics class before you graduate called Government.

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
                            You pass an entire civics class before you graduate called Government.
                            It's been so watered down it's laughable. Even college level government classes don't actually teach. I can't tell you the number of times I've had the professors tell me that government can expand their power, the 10th is outdated, and that the 2nd amendment only applies to a militia.

Comment

Adding more instead of simply fixing what's broken instead is part of the major problem with this country. A civics test is not going to accomplish anything.

Comment

Working...
                              X