Travel Ban in Mass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travel Ban in Mass

Not sure how constitutional it is to prohibit people from traveling regardless of the situation. IF things are so dire, why do the media get an exemption from the ban?

BOSTON (CBS) – Gov. Deval Patrick declared a state of emergency in Massachusetts Friday afternoon for the blizzard that could bring up to 3 feet of snow.

He also announced he has signed an executive order to ban all travel on all roads in the state starting at 4 p.m. Friday.

There are some exceptions to the ban, including emergency workers, those who work in hospitals and media, and others required to be at their jobs.

The governor said rapid snowfall of 2-3 inches per hour will make for, “extremely dangerous conditions,” and will “make safe travel nearly impossible.”

This is the first time that a Massachusetts governor has issued an executive order like this since the Blizzard of 1978.

But back then it was put in place after the storm.

Patrick did not say when this ban would be lifted.

If you don’t have an exemption and you’re caught on the road, the penalty could be as steep as a $500 fine or, at worst, a year in jail.

Your Questions: Ask The Weather Team

At a news conference at the MEMA bunker in Framingham, Patrick told reporters it’s not about the punishment, they simply need the roads clear during the blizzard.

“Essentially we want everyone off the road,” MEMA spokesman Peter Judge told WBZ-TV’s Jon Keller. ”We’re talking common sense here.”

Gallery: WBZ Storm Forecast Maps

Public transportation will not be an option either. The MBTA is shutting down at 3:30 p.m.

Here is the full text of Governor Patrick’s executive order:

I, Deval L. Patrick, Governor of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, pursuant to the power provided by Chapter 639 of the Acts of 1950 do hereby issue the following order:

There shall be a ban on motor vehicle travel beginning at 4:00 PM today and continuing until further notice. This travel ban shall not apply to the following: public safety vehicles and public safety workers, including contract personnel, public works vehicles and public works workers, including contract personnel; government officials conducting official business, utility company vehicles and utility workers; healthcare workers who must travel to and from work in order to provide essential health services; news media, travel necessary to maintain and deliver critical private sector services such as energy, fuel supplies and delivery, financial systems and the delivery of critical commodities, travel to support business operations that provide critical services to the public, including gasoline stations, food stores and hardware stores. Given this 8th day of February in the year of our Lord two thousand and thirteen at 12:15PM.

DEVAL L. PATRICK, GOVERNOR
    Commonwealth of Massachusetts

Gov. Deval Patrick declared a state of emergency in Massachusetts Friday afternoon for the blizzard that could bring up to 3 feet of snow.
    I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Just another test against us to see how much they can push us around. Yes, it's snowing.. a lot, but they don't know what is best for us.

Comment

That is fucking retarded. They plan to fine you or arrest you if you're out? Yeah, fuck you.

Comment

I am all for him suggesting to stay home, order the closing of all state buildings but to confine everyone to their homes sure does seem unconstitutional to me

Comment

IF it's so bad, why are media and police allowed on the roads? Is this governor saying that he wants cops to get hurt on the roads? I mean if they're so impassable that no citizen should attempt it, does he think squad cars hover?

Comment

Why the hell would the media a pass?

Comment

This has happened in VA a few years ago when we got hammered with three major blizzards in a matter of a few months.

Comment

Because politicians are scared of the media. They have to take pictures and give interviews about how they're "doing something" to handle this. I can see a general "it's bad out so if you can stay home, please do. We don't have the ability to go get you if you get stuck" but a ban?

Comment

Freedom of the press, if they don't exempt them, it's unconstitutional. Either way though, it's still gay! It's not Texas, they are used to snow.
                  Originally posted by stevo
                  Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

Who knows but I will say this.

When the Police or media go out in this shit, we go out prepared and in numbers. Not to mention we have radios to reach someone should things go bad. What they are trying to prevent is a bazillion 911 calls of motorist stuck in the ditch, or buried in a snow drift. That way all the cops are not tied up rescuing dumb asses that should have stayed home and can handle the real calls.
                    Whos your Daddy?

Comment

He deserved a laurel and hardy "fuck you!"

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
                        Who knows but I will say this.

When the Police or media go out in this shit, we go out prepared and in numbers. Not to mention we have radios to reach someone should things go bad. What they are trying to prevent is a bazillion 911 calls of motorist stuck in the ditch, or buried in a snow drift. That way all the cops are not tied up rescuing dumb asses that should have stayed home and can handle the real calls.
                        Right, and if he'd have said that it'd be one thing. A ban on travel is unconstitutional.

Comment

Laws like that I simply laugh at and disregard and go on doing as I damn well please. Do it to several texas laws.

Comment

Working...
                          X