X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Denny, Here's some excitement coming your way

Russian nuclear bombers intercepted near Guam
    By Jim Miklaszewski and Courtney Kube, NBC News

U.S. military officials tell NBC News that two Russian bombers, capable of carrying nuclear cruise missiles, circled the U.S. island of Guam in the Western Pacific this week. U.S. Air Force F-15 jets scrambled from Andersen Air Force Base on Guam to intercept the bombers.

According to one military official, the Russian Bear bombers remained in international airspace, the encounter between the U.S. and Russian aircraft “stayed professional” and there was no incident. The official said it’s impossible to determine whether the Russian bombers carried any nuclear weapons.

U.S. long-range radars and satellites tracked the two bombers as they took off from northeastern Russia and headed south on a long-range flight that required “multiple refueling.” Japan also scrambled fighter jets as the bombers passed near but did not enter Japanese airspace.

U.S. military officials say “it’s highly unusual but not unprecedented” that Russian bombers would fly training missions in the vicinity of Guam. According to one official, “It wasn’t provocative but it certainly got our attention.” U.S. long-range B-52 bombers, also capable of carrying nuclear weapons, are based at Guam.

Since Vladimir Putin reclaimed the Russian presidency, U.S. officials said the number of such flights in the vicinity of the Aleutian Islands and Alaska have increased, but encounters with U.S. aircraft have remained “generally very professional.”

The two Russian Bear bombers flew near Guam at about the same time President Barack Obama delivered his State of the Union message. Military officials refused to speculate about the timing.

The interception was first reported in the Washington Free Beacon.

They are getting brave since Obama said he'd become "more flexible."
    I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

It's a counter strike for our rogue meteor we launched.

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
        It's a counter strike for our rogue meteor we launched.
        I was thinking that actually.
        Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Ya, it's been a bit of craziness around here. We have South Koreans, Japanese, Aussies and our teams from Alaska and Japan to do a joint exercise (COPE North 2013).

I was wondering why I saw those Eagles taking off with some heavy wings.

China, North Korea and Russia hate this shit. That might or might not be what contributed to NK's nuke testing too. We had a Chinese National taking pics of the front gate of Andersen AFB earlier and was busted by SF. He tried to play the "no engrish" card and said he was just on holiday. Alone, dressed business casual and taking pics of the entry control point... ya right.

Comment

BTW, I'll try to get some more info on this. A guy from Duncanville that knows Leslie is here from Japan with this exercise.

Comment

Be safe Denny.
              Originally posted by talisman
              I wonder if there will be a new character that specializes in bjj and passive agressive comebacks?
              Originally posted by AdamLX
              If there was, I wouldn't pick it because it would probably just keep leaving the game and then coming back like nothing happened.
              Originally posted by Broncojohnny
              Because fuck you, that's why
              Originally posted by 80coupe
              nice dick, Idrivea4banger
              Originally posted by Rick Modena
              ......and idrivea4banger is a real person.
              Originally posted by Jester
              Man ive always wanted to smoke a bowl with you. Just seem like a cool cat.

Comment

Right now, I think that Guam is the safest piece of American soil. Thanks, though.

Comment

Ar15 the rooskies!

Comment

LOL @ them still flying Tu-95s.

The thought of a prop driven bomber in the year 2013 cracks me up.

Comment

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post

You ought to see some of the crap that the Aussies flew in.

Comment

What's even funnier is what wiki says about the "Bear" Topulev. Entered service in 1956 and expected to remain in the Russian AF till 2040... El oh el.

Comment

Originally posted by Tannerm View Post
                          What's even funnier is what wiki says about the "Bear" Topulev. Entered service in 1956 and expected to remain in the Russian AF till 2040... El oh el.
                          Our B52 was introduced in 1952 and is expected to stay in the air until the 2040s also.

But the Tu95 has half the payload capacity, 75mph slower max speed, similar range, etc, though... and props. LOL. Still cracks me up.

I guess since we're not engineering a new long range strategic bomber right now Ivan has no design 'inspiration' for anything newer.

Last edited by Strychnine; 02-18-2013, 08:50 AM.

Comment

I grew up in Austin and as a kid I remember driving/riding past Bergstrom AFB and seeing an ocean of B52's as far as you could see. They are still pretty damned intimidating and impressive to me.

Comment

LOL, thats here @ KBAD...one of our turds in the pic..(the KC-10)

Comment

Working...
                              X