Teacher says write about anything, then refuses to grade gun papers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
    An English teacher at Denton High School on the edge of the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex allegedly told students to write a few sentences about whatever topic they wanted for an assignment on Monday. However, the teacher then refused to grade the work of two students because they mentioned guns.

When the students — both seniors — wrote about innocuous gun-related themes, the teacher, Dewey Christian, scolded them in front of the class. Classmates laughed, and the students were humiliated, reports KDFW, the local FOX affiliate.

Christian further informed them that their writing would yield big, fat zeros unless they wrote new paragraphs on other topics.

“Mr. Christian said, ‘I want y’all to write a paper about a fun experience y’all had — a nice experience,’” Alex Wright, one of the students, told the station. “He said you could make up something so I said, ‘Me and my mom went to Cabela’s to buy a gun.’ And as soon as he heard the word ‘gun,’ he told me to sit down.”

The other student, Marshall Williams, decided to write about a Fort Worth gun show he had recently attended.

“I feel like he stomped on our right to free speech,” Williams said of his English teacher. “He didn’t even consider what we had said.”

When he went home Monday night, Williams told his mother, Kimberly Williams, about the incident. She wasn’t happy.

“He didn’t put any parameters out for what it could be and couldn’t be. That was my problem,” Kimberly Williams told KDFW.

On Tuesday morning, Kimberly Williams and Marshall Williams met with Christian. She recorded the meeting for posterity on her cellphone. It’s not clear if Christian is aware of the recording.

In the video, which KDFW shows, Kimberly Williams asks Christian about the criteria for the assignment. His response is unclear because both the elder Williams and Christian are talking simultaneously.

“So because it had guns in it you refused to grade it?” Kimberly Williams can then be heard asking.

“Not just guns, but you see we’ve had a certain amount of violence and things in schools. …” Christian replies.

“I’m not asking you about that. I’m asking you about the subject matter of his paper and why you took issue with it,” Williams snaps back.

“The problem was not the subject matter. …” Christian responds.

“You just told me it was the subject matter,” Williams retorts.

http://dailycaller.com/2013/02/21/te...te-about-guns/
    "My Mom and I"... if it was written how it was quoted he would have failed anyway.

Originally posted by mightyp View Post
    My 14 yo came home from school the other day, they had a reading comprehension test on a story about how great a president obama is
    I heard that earlier today from a friend of mine in SC, except her son is 6 or 7. She was pretty pissed too.

Comment

My 7 year old's reading assignment last week praised Cesar Chavez as a hero, I told the teacher I didn't appreciate what he stood for and she wouldn't be reading it.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman85turbo View Post
        My 7 year old's reading assignment last week praised Cesar Chavez as a hero, I told the teacher I didn't appreciate what he stood for and she wouldn't be reading it.
        lol No

Comment

I'd rewrite it to include his real 'accomplishments.'
          I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Marshal Williams was arrested for breach of a government computer security. Hacked Denton High computers according to an affidavit.

According to an arrest warrant affidavit, administrators at Denton High School noticed that on several occasions in March and April an unauthorized person had logged on to a secure Wi-Fi network that stored things like building alarm codes, the campus crisis plan, a master key list, employee personnel records and test results. The suspect also used school printers to print test results and security codes.

Comment

Ooops. That will surely not help his cause.
              Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

the teacher is an idiot and obviously a liberal one. a gun is an object much like a car a knife or anything else that can inflict harm on someone. just because a few people have decided to use guns in bad ways does not make owning a gun talking about a gun writing about a gun a bad thing. i would plaster nra stickers all over that fucking classroom that teacher is a total moron

Comment

Working...
                X