Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Poll: Which route should we take as a country?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poll: Which route should we take as a country?

Discuss.

Originally posted by sc281 View Post
    Let's be honest here. If we as a country have no interest in cutting the spending that will lead us to bankruptcy, then we deserve the consequences.

Now, having said that, if cutting spending is never going to happen, then I submit we borrow every dime we can, build up our infrastructure, technology, and military, pull out of all countries in the world, default on our debt, and dare someone to come over and collect.

I mean, if we aren't going to be responsible, we might as well be as irresponsible as possible, amirite?
    Keep spending like we are, and eventually hae an economic crisis because we can't pay it back.
    0%
    Get our spending in order, free market reforms, and eventually climb out of the hole, maybe.
    0%
    Borrow everything, Build up, and Dare someone to do something. (Specified more in orig post)
    0%

Sooo, are you inferring that two wrongs do make a right?

Comment

Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post
      Sooo, are you inferring that two wrongs do make a right?

Not at all. I am for responsible government with responsible budgets and responisble spending. Show me where any of those are in the real world.

Click the quote and read the thread it came from to add some context to the discussion.

Comment

I like option b
        "PSH!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
          I like option b
          Everyone likes option B, until it comes time to tighten the belt, and then they turn right back to option A.

Think of option B as the U.S's New Years resolution. We always talk about it, and aspire to do it, but never actually do.

Comment

Originally posted by sc281 View Post
            Everyone likes option B, until it comes time to tighten the belt, and then they turn right back to option A.

Think of option B as the U.S's New Years resolution. We always talk about it, and aspire to do it, but never actually do.
            Ding ding ding fucking ding, we have a goddamned winner. See my reply to you in the other thread.

I'm still completely unconvinced that the GOP's new found affinity for small government and cutting spending is actually sincere and for the long haul. It appeared out of nowhere in 2008 and methinks it will disappear just as quickly.

Comment

I wish we as taxpayers could have the option on voting what programs to cut and what to spend on. That's what I wish. Yeah I know, pipe dream.

Comment

Originally posted by Trip McNeely View Post
                I wish we as taxpayers could have the option on voting what programs to cut and what to spend on. That's what I wish. Yeah I know, pipe dream.
                Nothing would get cut. People are only willing to cut spending on their personal causes (Frost - defense, gpamp - entitlements) if their most hated source of spending is cut twice as much as their personal cause gets cut. Since that doesn't work out for either side, nothing gets cut.

Spending needs to be evaluated in silos. Entitlements spending has nothing to do with defense spending, and we need to analyze and cut spending as if that's the case. Instead, everyone tries to make a goddamned chess match out of it and we wind up with what we have today, which is nothing.

Comment

I voted for the "utopian" choice, but I honestly want all of them to trim the fat. No governmental programs benefit me positively, and they all affect me negatively.

Comment

Originally posted by Slowhand View Post
                    Nothing would get cut. People are only willing to cut spending on their personal causes (Frost - defense, gpamp - entitlements) if their most hated source of spending is cut twice as much as their personal cause gets cut. Since that doesn't work out for either side, nothing gets cut.

Spending needs to be evaluated in silos. Entitlements spending has nothing to do with defense spending, and we need to analyze and cut spending as if that's the case. Instead, everyone tries to make a goddamned chess match out of it and we wind up with what we have today, which is nothing.
                    I agree, and there needs to be some sort of system to which there isn't. Lobbyists for one thing need to be eliminated. That might help a little.

Comment

Originally posted by racrguy View Post
                      I voted for the "utopian" choice, but I honestly want all of them to trim the fat. No governmental programs benefit me positively, and they all affect me negatively.
                      I really wish I had a form-letter liberal here to tell you about how governmental programs pay for your roads and the air and everything you ever need to live off of and how that's a positive and that you're a hypocrite.

Alas, I don't, so I'll say: agreed.

Comment

We all have steady jobs, of course they don't.

Comment

Originally posted by Trip McNeely View Post
                          We all have steady jobs, of course they don't.
                          I need to figure out how to get a net zero tax amount, without having kids.

Comment

I need to figure out how to get a net zero tax amount, without having kids.
                            Cash under the table occupation. lol

Comment

Poll is coming out as expected. There are only two real choices there. A and C.

I say A and C, because B is a pipedream that makes us feel good to think about, but will never ever happen.. AND WE ALL KNOW IT. Everyone wants to cut the idea of govt, but no one wants to in practice. We are circling the drain gentlemen, and it's gonna end bloody for all of us.

(disclaimer - I voted for B too. I can hold on to ridiculous beliefs as fervently as the next guy. )

Comment

Working...
                              X