Wis. education officials want students to wear ‘white privilege’ wristbands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wis. education officials want students to wear ‘white privilege’ wristbands

MADISON – The Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction runs several programs that heavily emphasize racial issues in public schools.

white privilege and prejudiceSome feel that one of those programs – an Americorps operation called VISTA (Volunteers in Service to America) – may go a bit overboard by encouraging white students to wear a white wristband “as a reminder about your (white) privilege.”

Geared towards high school students, the program “seeks to build capacity in schools and districts serving low-income families to develop an effective, sustainable, research-based program of family-school-community partnerships,” according to its Facebook page.

That sounds reasonable enough.

But the program’s approach becomes a bit suspect when one reads the Gloria Steinem quote on the top of its webpage: “The first problem for all of us, men and women, is not to learn, but to unlearn.”

The webpage also offers a series of suggestions for high schools students to become more racially sensitive. They include:

Wear a white wristband as a reminder about your privilege, and as a personal commitment to explain why you wear the wristband.
    Set aside sections of the day to critically examine how privilege is working.
    Put a note on your mirror or computer screen as a reminder to think about privilege.

The Wisconsin DPI also sponsors several similar programs, including CREATE Wisconsin, an on-going “cultural sensitivity” teacher training program which focuses largely on “whiteness” and “white privilege.”

EAGnews will be exposing more about that program in a film documentary titled, “RE-CREATING AMERICA: Cultural Sensitivity in Wisconsin Schools,” along with a two-day written series on the same topic, beginning Monday.

Will DPI’s obsession with race and “white privilege” actually translate into better educational outcomes for all students? Not likely.

But it will continue to divide the state by race and income status, and allow bureaucrats to make a case for more government funding so they can create a different type of America.

Wisconsin taxpayers really ought to be paying more attention to how their education dollars are spent.

UPDATE: Wisconsin school agency deletes ‘white privilege’ materials, blames EAG MADISON – The Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction runs several
    I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Living here I can tell you the people in this school system are nuts, as are most of those within the City of Madison. The schools teach kids learning math to "estimate" values rather than work out the math.

And don't mention to the city dwelling hippies you own firearms. My 12mpg truck does not mix well with all of the Prius'

Can't wait to get back to Texas, only 15 more months. Oh, and to wrap up my bitch fest, snow sucks!
    1965 Ford Falcon Pro-Touring Project
    TCI F/R Suspension, 3V-4.6 & TR3560, LT III Wheels

sigpic
    Work In Progress

Comment

Make the chinese wear Yellow to remind them of their superior violin and math skills. Make the mexican kids wear Brown to remind them of their fantastic food. Make the Arabs wear Red to remind them of their want and willingness to kill and blow shit up. Make the blacks wear Black to remind them of their superior basketball skills. Sure, white kids, wear the white band to remind you of how everyone thinks the color of your skin gives you a privilege too. Accept one stereotype and scarlet letter, accept them all.
      Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Shouldn't need a wristband. HELLO! Everybody knows you're privileged because you are WHITE! Just like we all know every black person is oppressed and a slave to the white man! Just assume those facts based on color, and you don't need to spend the money on wristbands.

Comment

my kid is a 1/2 breed, is there a special band for that, or would he just wear 2?

god bless.
          It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by ELVIS View Post
            my kid is a 1/2 breed, is there a special band for that, or would he just wear 2?

god bless.
            just give him one of your black ones.
            "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by ELVIS View Post

god bless.
              He gets a swirl color. I also have two that are mixed. I am raising them the way I raise my other two. Be independent, take care of your own business, and don't depend on others to give you things. That is the opposite of the way our govt and its sheep want us to think.

Comment

Working...
              X